15 yr Member
Default A great resource covering several of our current topics

Bookmark this one:
http://www.health-spy.com/index.html

Food intolerance
Mitochondria dysfunction
Neurotransmitter problems
Stress

much more and each with its own well organized section.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (11-06-2010), ScottSuff (11-06-2010), vspot (11-07-2010)

advertisement
Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Bookmark this one:

Food intolerance
Mitochondria dysfunction
Stress

just casually browsing that site, tons of opionion, mostly misinformation imho. take the value of vaccinations: and btw, if my blunt opinion gets me kicked off the board, so be it. these are serious health issues being discussed/supported, not the weather:

"The benefits of vaccines, in particular vaccines such as the Flu Jab are hotly debated in the scientific community. Flu jabs are made up of strains of viri 'expected' to crop up over the Winter - influenza viri are constantly mutating so how accurate this prediction really is is anyone's guess. Perhaps it might be cheaper and more productive to encourage people to eat healthier and to naturally boost their immune systems. The flu vaccine is nurtured on decomposed animal, egg or human protein. Other vaccines employ various methods, including wounding animals, infecting them, and then killing them. If are you intending to have a vaccination, plan in advance and be sure to ask what is going to be in the shot. You have a right to know. You may want to enquire if there are alternatives without mercury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomersal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomersal_controversy

http://www.healing-arts.org/children...es-mercury.htm

http://www.quackwatch.org/03HealthPr...himerosal.html

Articles specifically about the Flu Jab can be found below.

http://curezone.com/art/read.asp?ID=32&db=12&C0=735

Mercola on Vitamin D vs The Flu Vaccine

www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=509"
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (11-08-2010), tulip girl (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:09 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have to admit, I must agree with soccertese.

TG
tulip girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default an idea about alternative meds

i think i'm going to try curcumin, but other than that, i don't have the money to go out and try all this stuff. Rick have you considered a real database to collect information about alternative meds? it could help
If you are not interested, maybe it's an option for a database builder, retired, with parkinson, who can build us a bonafide database. Isn't a pd alternative treatment database overdue or is there one i don't know about?

We could follow the meds and treatments like we do the current pipeline. People can't remember everything that is said about non-traditional meds from reading our posts and narratives. That would be unique and innovative! or is patients like me already doing it?

Rick, you have learned a lot and know plenty about the illness. But you try many things and have certain reactions that i don't remember by the following day. How about a permanent record for pd alternative "trials". ok now it's flowing......we could set them up with placebos and everything.

why not devise our own cflinical trials? i can think of ten trials right off the top of my head that we could try with enough people but also gather enough data to compare traditional with alternatives. We could enter data ourselves into the database. IT would need to be checked before publishing but we could talk about it all along in a blog about that trial.

we could dismiss unfounded claims and who knows what we can discover. Perhaps dispel some myths like for all people sinemet causes dyskinesia when it's the agonists with sinemet that do it for me. We have to just get enough med to do it. patient conducted research - is it legal? can we do it if supervised by a neurologist and and an IRB from the pd community?

i think we may have a neurologist who might be interested and we nave a pd researcher [girija], an attorney, [kath-gdnf trials were like a Grisham novel ] , an accountant [pam]to manage our financial affairs and last but not least....a book to sell to get some of the money. we could donate all the proceeds to our own research. One of our goals is to have the book on medical students and psychologists reading lists. being sold in college book stores.We can still shape the ending and hopefully not miss a beat, continuing 'our story on the website from concepts and passion that arise on this forum.

Soccertease, you don't just believe anything you read, and we need your opinion to balance the easily accepted claims here. The white rats are doing it their way and it's the way of a new generatin of pwp. But at the same time, it could be dangerous for some and others could end up wasting their money on useless substances that they don't know how to use; that's where a database would be a wonderful resource.

well that's a big idea - but one that i won't be shaking my head over in the morning when i read this and say "What was i thinking as i writhe in pain. i am waking up so much better that i don't really even think about my body as much.

i'm back to thinking we must get even more independent. It would be helpful if MJFFwould support these little trials, not with money but for direction in what to research . We've got the know how. They have the scientists to consult and could give us ideas that could help preclinical research get started.

-any people from across the Atlantic interested in this type of information? who can build a database knowing how to make it statistically significant? who wants to do it for the pwp pro bono but we'll come to your house and take you to dinner and even pay for it. lol

think about it. i'm hearing all kinds of drugs are going to become prescription only..like tylenol cough medicine and many others. i hope we cannot let that happen but we better try to find something that works before they make changes.

who knows anything about these new prescription changes? who knows anyone in the alternative community who would be interested? We would have open access to view it, submissions would be reviewed for accuracy. see Parkinson Pipeline DataBase It's an oracle and very comprehensive. i would hope it could be like that one or even an extension of it..

we can do this, we have organized people with very mild parkinson among us and extremely motivated and dedicated members of the neurowriters and pd community. The parkinson creative collective is a highly functional group-ranging from all points on the severity spectrum; but when we say we are going to do it we do. We understand why we have certain behaviors and do not judge them; we solve problems and don't even think about starting problems or solving them thru arguing.

This comes from experience and i needed to learn a lot. I always have one ear on each side of an issue, amd determine which is supported by logic, common sense, compassion, or ego and personal agenda. I"m not going to be arguing with researchers and doctors. The ball is clearly in their court.

And they say we have behavioral issues. Well yeah but we don't steal or cheat or play dirty or put money over people and treat them as troublemakers as a rule. i would challenge whether the outbursts of emotion in here are anywhere near as behaviorally disturbed as a workaholic living for the money and compromising integrity by keeping silent and manipulating, judging and hurting others to get that bottom line.

Lack of information is unacceptable now. maybe this patient written book can start some patient sponsored research.

Thanks for your post Linda H. even tho it's in a different thread it made me think of all this as being possible . Three million seems achievable for a patient org. Or am i dreaming?

no i'm serious
rick, i see you as needing this very thing. Isn't it apparent that clinical trials for pd with alternative meds aren't going to be the first out of the PD pipeline? CoQ10 and creatine are at what point in their research? Ive been reading about them since i came online in 1998 or close to it.

ok toss it into the idea hat; along with the fact that we have multiple forums here and they might be interestsed too, especially MS, Huntingtons, ALS, Alzheimers and peripheral neuropathy/maybe more.

cheers

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 11-08-2010 at 12:18 AM.
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default You're onto something...

Paula,

Just want to thank you for that inspired and inspiring post. I am in. I think a complementary therapy database along the lines of how we track our meds on PLM is an incredible idea and think it might be helpful to have other members with MS or AD, so it is a database for neurodegenerative disorders. Who knows what kinds of data would emerge?

I also think that funding and designing our own trials will be inevitable if we want to see any real progress in our lifetime. Patients with MS have recently done this, so why can't we contact them to see realistically what is involved?

All I know is that I am on the verge of making all this a primary focus in life; I want to ensure that my 20 month old son does not have to make any icky decisions about what to do with his disabled, diseased mama. Researchers are really close to finding something real breakthroughs but they need nudging by us. If they aren't going to see the value in us, than it is time we start to do it for them.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (11-08-2010), paula_w (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 01:11 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Count me in!

Paula, I share Laura's response to your inspiring posting.

Although I am a later-onset member who is fortunately experiencing slow symptom progression, I want to be part of any organized push to try to come up with whatever approaches to treatment might spare the younger onset PWP the kind of agonizing scenario Laura described.

Let's all pitch in!

Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 04:45 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Bookmark this one:

Food intolerance
Mitochondria dysfunction
Stress

Rick,

Thanks for your research trying to help us find the right pathway to repairing the damage PD does to us.

Agree with what has been said before my post. We all need to work together for the benefit of us all.
just_me_77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 PM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default You are a good person to work on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSmi View Post
Paula, I share Laura's response to your inspiring posting.

Although I am a later-onset member who is fortunately experiencing slow symptom progression, I want to be part of any organized push to try to come up with whatever approaches to treatment might spare the younger onset PWP the kind of agonizing scenario Laura described.

Let's all pitch in!

Robert
Robert i hope you do decide to jump into the fray. if we were to start something, online at pCC site, manage to hold onto the pipeline database but leaving it where it is, where it belongs,then briefly give it's grassroots journey in an introductory page and link to the database.

repeating _ i think an alternative database, and we can link to it is a necessary step toward credibilty. We can interactively write the database on skype calls and we need a database pro bono .It's unique, would help all stakeholders if it is done right.

If any of you are interested-if you are familiar with private messaging could let me know that way or just in this thread. We have a meeting tomorrow and then would like to meet with anyone interested around the globe. the first call will take patience ...Rome wasn't built in a day but we are going to move on this and everyhting else. ..except when we are not focused or just symptom bound. I'm just now getting focused back on the book since Scotland, it took a month .

so no judging when other issues take over. We are discussing setting some deadlines because of upcoming holidays and the need to print another copy that has all the content and accept no more.
That's when the site kicks in and it's with great hope that we will attempt to get the medical research and practices interacting . I want to hold out for the latest research for printing becuase it is coming in fast and furious.

thanks this database could be a pioneer event -one of many to come out of the forum.

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote