advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 05:50 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Will they take my social security disablity away from me

Hi there
I have Trigemial Neuralgia, Herniated Disk, Bipolar Depression, OCD, Anxiety, PTSD, Mixed Personality Disorder and I think that's it.

My OCD symptoms change here and there and sometimes there not bad. I hadn't seen my therapist in a while and forgot to update her. I asked my mom to come to the appointment with me. I live at home with my parents and my mom works at night and I'm gone at program during the day.

She doesn't quite notice my OCD symptoms, in regards to checking the stove and checking the door locks. I do alot of that during the night time. However she does notice my obsessive thoughts because I ask her the same questions over and over and I get really bad intrusive thoughts.

I invited her to come to a therapist appt. She told the therapist that she really doesn't notice my rituals. I got the clinical notes from the therapist and it says "mom joined appt, mom states ocd sx is not intruding much, Patient reitterates his obsessive thoughts and behavoirs. feels mom is minimizing troubles"

Do you think when it comes time to review my disablity chart, that I will be canceled? I don't like how that lady wrote them. She should have been precise. I fired her because I wanted to get rid of her in the first place.

So what do you guys think. If i get a review, should I be ok? I do have OCD and just because every action isn't observed by my mom doesn't mean I don't have it, I wish I didn't.
Matthewdrives76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Matthew!

The fact that you wanted your therapist to BE so precise in her notes is pretty indicative OF your OCD. And, your mom is NOT a therapist OR doctor -- so, I don't think that ANYONE would take HER observations as the "last word"!! There are, as I'm sure you know, some pretty much "foolproof" tests, checklists, and other techniques that can be used by a qualified therapist to determine if you have OCD. So, your diagnosis is NOT likely to slip through the cracks.

I don't work for SS, but I think that you have enough other stuff going on to pretty much guarantee that you will KEEP your disability even IF somebody has the GALL to claim that you no longer have OCD.

It's gonna be ok. Try to stay calm -- and look for the good things going on around you. You've been APPROVED for disability!!! That is a REAL blessing. It is time to relax and BREATHE!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh my goodness Matthew...I so now how you feel. I have mental disorders, OCD included and my mom minimizes it constantly. I don't know if she is in denial or what. The other day I went to the back dr to talk about my upcoming surgery and she asked the dr, "she could wait much longer than a month for the surgery right?" Luckily my back probs are not part of my disabilities..well, my back probs disable me, but it was not a chief complaint when I applied.
Good luck and hang in there!
Cblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:01 AM #4
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Here is some information, some of it applies to you and some of it doesn't. Good luck.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...ity%20claim%3F
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblue View Post
Oh my goodness Matthew...I so now how you feel. I have mental disorders, OCD included and my mom minimizes it constantly. I don't know if she is in denial or what. The other day I went to the back dr to talk about my upcoming surgery and she asked the dr, "she could wait much longer than a month for the surgery right?" Luckily my back probs are not part of my disabilities..well, my back probs disable me, but it was not a chief complaint when I applied.
Thank you guys for the replies. It's so embarrasing when my mom comes with me to doctors appointments because I'm not sure what she is going to say. I find it demeaning for her to say "i don't notice any of matts ocd symptoms" I'd rather her say " I notice matt complains more of his intrusive thougths and obsessions than I notice rituals" or something like that. I don't want to be humilated at the doctors office. We are going next week. She says she sees me but doesn't consider it obsessive. The thing is alot of my checking of the doors and stove occurs after midnight when no one is up. Reality is not too many people break into houses during th eh day and not too many people leave the gas stove on during the night. So I'm sorry if she doesn't notice it as well as if she should. there are tims it keeps me up all night. When I was a kid I used to wake up in the middle of the night and re organize things in the kitchen and clean. I believe that was part of OcD, they only remember me doing this twice, but myabe thats because they only caught me twice. I believe that was OCD, everything had to be in perfectly fit location. When i used to work everything had to be done a certan place and so forth.

Last time when the therapist asked her about my ocd she said she doesn't notice any rituals. I hope this time she would say something like she notices that the ocd bothers me more with the obsesive thoughts than it does with my rituals. I hope she tells them things ii used to do as a kid and the things I complain about now, such as checking during the middle of the night, redoing this and so forthl. Is that such a bad thing for me to ask for? I don't want to be in fear of my doctors appt
Matthewdrives76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 AM #6
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

A lot of parents don't want to admit their child has a mental problem because then they think people will think the parent has it also. Mental illness was a no-no many years ago. People would put their children in a institution and hide them away before they would admit their child was mentally ill. Have you tried talking with your mother? I'm sorry your mother doesn't seem to understand your illness, but most likely she never will.

Last edited by legalmania; 11-10-2010 at 01:33 AM.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:28 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblue View Post
My wife is the same way with me and my disabilities. I have asked her to take some time to do some research so she can better understand what I am going through but she won't take the time. I went so far as to find links for her to read but again, she will not take the time.
Shellback is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM #8
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default dissability

Hello and of couse I wish you well. I am sorry about OCD, my mom had it so I do know some of what you experience. Social Security does indeed re-evaluate you ever so often. Keep your psych appts. and keep a journal if you can. Keep in touch with your PCP. Those drs. are often asked to write a review. I do not think your mothers influence at your appt will knock you out of the system. The professionals make that call. Be honest, and I am sure things will be OK. I know you need dissability, I have found that being honest works. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My fear is that I will come across as being full of S*%#!
My mom thinks I was begging for a disorder...GRRRRRR..that is not the case..I was begging for a diagnosis so it can be treated...Matthew is that how you feel? And when I have a complaint (as I often do--I know I am such a pain in the butt to my fam) she says "well that happens to me too"..... Okey doke..then lets take all my pills together....see..it makes her seem like she is heartless and I know she is not.
Cblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:39 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Matthew,

I agree with Jana.....I think you are worrying too much about this and putting too much emphasis on her contribution to your therapy visit......which is consistent with OCD obsessive thoughts.

Your therapist appropriately documented the session, IMO.

Try to relax on this issue

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote