Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 12:30 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I keep losing the internet

Hi All. Happy Thanksgiving.

This was happening intermittently but for the past two days, it happens a lot.

Here is exactly what happens.

I'll be on firefox and all of a sudden the page own't load, I'll look over at the modem, and I see 3 green lights instead of 4, and I look at where the 4th light should be green (it says INTERNET), and there's NO LIGHT, and then there's a red light.

so I usually close firefox, open up IE, and it loads up, and then it will say "Run Diagnostics, and fix problem, and I just click on this, the connection will be re-established, and no harm no foul".

But..... it's not doing this anymore.

And I don't reboot the computer and all that nonsense. I just turn off the modem for a few minutes, turn it back on AND ALL IS WELL.

So what I want to know is WHY is this happening.

I have a Westell 6100 modem (about 6 years old now).

No router.

I have Windows XP, a HP media center and I don't know what other information I can provide.

All the other lights are green but the one that says INTERNET, well that means I have no connection right?

Can't call Verizon today, it's thanksgiving.

Do you think if I call them, they will replace the modem? IS IT THE MODEM??

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks much and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all the cool people who help me on this forum

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-25-2010, 12:46 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Wasn't it doing this a few months ago? maybe longer...

I can't recall if we figured anything out or if you just lived with it.

might look back to see what we tried that time.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:53 PM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Do you have a router? I had this problem when my router was malfunctioning.

6 yrs is a long time for a modem IMO... it might be dying...or it might be a loose connection outside your home.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:40 PM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Do you have a router? I had this problem when my router was malfunctioning.

6 yrs is a long time for a modem IMO... it might be dying...or it might be a loose connection outside your home.
Nope, no router!!!

Just a stupid 6 year old Modem AND IT NEVER HAPPENS WHEN ALAN IS USING THE COMPUTER.

Only me.

spooky, no???

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Modem and router are pretty much the same thing.
I'd suggest you just get a new one. They are cheap, and new ones are much faster.

Peter B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 AM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Modem and router are pretty much the same thing.
I'd suggest you just get a new one. They are cheap, and new ones are much faster.
Well!!!! I actually have some GOOD news about my problem.

I got so disgusted having the darn internet light go off and losing my connection to the internet right in the middle of doing something, that I telephoned Verizon. Thank god, on the first try, I got a tech support person who was savvy enough to walk me through the whole thing.

It seems my modem needed to be reconfigured.

Who knew? In the 6 or so years I have had this, never had to be reconfigured.

So she gives me some numbers to type in the URL line and BAM, I am looking at a Modem Protocol re-configuration thing. She has me tell her what I am looking at on the screen. She had me click on some icons, re-set certain things, click on CONNECT, click on EDIT, click on this, click on that (thank god I have a techo brain and I can follow instructions, because this was no big thing. It just took some time.

Then I had to hit apply several times, and then she said "now let's see if we can get you back to Mozilla and we'll stay together on the line and you can surf the net and see if the re-configuration worked.

And when I had her on the line I asked her "I have these annoying pop-up ads from Verizon, can I stop this?" She said "sure", you can opt out, she showed me how, and now no more pop up ads from Verizon.

When it was all done, I think her sincerely because the problem seemed rectified, and as of this morning, all is well. And Alan was on the computer for hours last night with no problem, playing his games, etc.

So as of now, my modem is reconfigured and is working the way it is supposed to be working.

I did ask her one thing. I said "If my modem had to be replaced, how do you know this?"

She said "Oh, if there is a red light where it says "INTERNET", and it stays red, no matter if you re-boot, etc, well, then we know it's time to get a new modem."

I then asked "what if someone gives me a laptop, and I want to connect it to my modem to use it wireless in my house, do they make modems with built in routers?"

She said 'oh yes, but you wouldn't get that from us, we would only replace the modem with the same make and model, if you wanted a modem with a built in router, you'd have to pay".

I then said "do they sell this in the stores? and she said "Absolutely".

So (at least this is what I gather), if someone gives me a laptop to try out, to get used to (before I buy my own), and I have a friend who will do this because she NEVER uses the laptop her grandchildren gave her, I guess I might think of going to radio shack or someplace and get a modem with a built in router??

Oh, I also asked her "But if I get a laptop and I buy a router and I was going to ask her another question and she burst out with:

"If you get a router and you want to hook up the router to the modem, then just call us up and we'll tell you how to connect the router to the modem, and we'll reconfigure everything for you"

So, if someday I get the laptop, and I decide to buy a router, at least I know that I can call up Verizon tech support, and they will help me, and then Alan can use the computer and when I want to play around, I can go in the kitchen and use a laptop.

I have used laptops in other people's houses, I know how to use a laptop, it's just the router, configuration thing that I thought would throw me.

I know to many of you, routers, and wireless hookups are old news, but to this person, it's a whole new way of playing around.

So, to rewind....my modem problem seems to be solved, I am seeing 4 green lights, I am happy and everything works.

Thank god.

lol Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-27-2010), mrsD (11-30-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Good news!
Yes, you are lucky to be able to handle computer inputs like that, as I'm sure many are not. How they get on with problems eludes me.
I have a similar problem now, with a new router. My PC is fine, but daughter's laptop suffers frequent disconnects.
Have rebooted it, updated software, given it black looks, but still it happens.
Have just received a new email from support so I will tackle that shortly.
We have just upgraded to Windows 7, having been disappointed with the bugs in Vista, and I must say it is much better and nicer to use.
Over the years we have had many little computer/ printer/ modem problems, most of which we have been able to nut out, as we both have had a few years of computers.
But they are far from troublefree.

Peter B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:32 PM #8
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Peter

Want to know what REALLY scares me? The technology that is evolving as we speak. I am now learning how to make and edit videos using my Flip and going online and using OneTrueMedia and Masher.

If this had been me one year ago, I would have been clueless.

I now know how to make montages, edit them, put special effects, music, (takes all of 5 seconds to do this), and I had a finished product. My friends were going Oh my god, look what she did, blah blah.

I just looked at them and said "are you serious, 10 year olds do this"!

They just looked at me. I know this to be true because I've seen it.

I know two year olds who have their own ITOUCH and they know how to use it.

And me?? I'm 63 (or 64) can't remember, lol and I'm excited just to learn new stuff every day.

I have friends with various levels of computerese (a new name I thought of). Some don't know anything and won't go near a computer, and some just go online and do email but don't know anything else.

I am the only person (of anyone that I know personally), who does what I do and that ain't much if you get my drift.

What the heck is going to happen in 10 years. I mean, we have to keep up with the young ones. They are going to snowboard right over us with the technology.

I mean 40 years ago, kids were playing in the street, hop scotch, stickball, red light green light 1 2 3, and today, well no one is outside. They are in what is called "Self induced isolateion" with the video games and computer gaming.

No one goes out and throws balls and plays stoop balls and share giggles.

They are ALL on facebook and games.

What the heck is the future of our society and think about this one. Where are the doctors going to come from? As we age, and kids are playing video games, who is going to go to medical school?

Very scary if you ask me.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY