advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 08:20 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Roll Call - March 2007

Good GF Gravy, it's March!!! I should've known better, since yesterday was Peg's b-day.

I swear I'm living in a Time Accelerator. I said last night "Gosh, it's Friday again tomorrow". I'm not complaining...but Holy Cow!

Normally I have to think about stuff to put in here, since this snuck up on me, I can't think of anything to say. I'm sure something will come to me later. Actually, I think I'm still sleeping [I just got up].

Edit: I know something I can put in here. Last Wednesday [a week ago] night I got to spend in the hospital. Fun! I've been having chest pains since December. I had been ignoring them hoping they'd go away. In the middle Ash Wed. Church service I got hot and prickly all over, sweaty, very woozy and felt I was going to pass out. This scared me enough to leave church and go to the ER. After blood work that night, a day of testing on Thursday, they deemed my heart OK.

How 'bout the rest of y'all ~ fall out for Roll Call!

For those of you just tuning in, Roll Call is chance to introduce yourself, check-in and let everyone know how you're doing, what you're up to, to touch base...something, anything, just let us know you're still around

NT's Roll Call Time Tunnel

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa

Last edited by aklap; 03-02-2007 at 09:21 AM.
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-02-2007, 08:30 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Morning Al! Wakey, wakey!!!!!

I am going for a nerve conduction test this morning, trying to find out if I have pinched nerves causing my headaches, neck and shoulder pain, terrible tinnitus, and that off balance feeling I have been having so often.

Had my eyes examined the other day and the doc told me to get my cholesterol checked, he says once he can see cholesterol in your eyes, you have it for life. So, I also had blood drawn for that and thyroid Wednesday night. At least my eyes are not much worse--I can still see your face Al, just can't read the laugh lines!

March--18 days to spring. YEHA!!!! So tired of winter and our winter has been fairly mild here. I feel for those of you who have been hit repeatedly with snow, and deep snow too. The most we had at one time all winter was 2". Lots of rain though and cold, even some ice.

darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

'Morning Al!

My baby is *5* today, how did that happen?

We finally delivered the last of our GS cookies. I just realized they weren't nearly as difficult to resist this year. Maybe next year they'll actually turn my stomach, LOL.

Oldest is having tummy aches again. Its not dairy, she's been off that since Sept with amazing results. She's also having headaches. I suspect its still sinus...we see the neurologist in a week, then back to the ped probably.
Youngest is still having minor vulva pain. Still on scary cream to try and toughen her up. I hate putting that stuff on, it makes her cry But she's so much improved, I have to keep going.

I expect the month will go quickly...both kids birthdays, a science fair and dh goes out of town. There's a few more little things...but it all adds up to a busy month!
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, Al and all! (Couldn't resist that, sorry! About as bad as Al's "fall out for roll call" )
I'm doing well at staying GF. I have given up eating at the buffet, since that is about the only time I have a problem. I've learned to order a bunless Big and Tasty at McD's instead. Yummy, napkin sandwich! But it's good, as long as I keep the napkin out of my mouth.
Weather here is pretty nice. We had some bad storms, but the really bad stuff all went south of us. Spring is definitely arriving here in TN. The daffodils are blooming everywhere, and you can start to see buds on the trees. Of course, it all makes my allergies act up. First year I've had to take allergy pills. Complaining and blowing has been enough up until now.
I've got an apt near the end of March with the rheumy, to see what kind of arthritis I've got in my hands.
Hugs,
Old 03-03-2007, 12:03 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

AL, I am so glad your heart is ok. You scared me for a minute there.

Con's finally recovering!!!! YIPPEE! He is so full of it though. Healthy, happy, bouncey 14 year old (on Monday - so many March Birthday's around here, WOW.) I am not used to his exuberance, he has been so sick for so long.

Surgeon said he had *insert big long word here, that I can't even begin to pronounce* the jist of which means he had chonic inflamatory disease of his gal bladder. And the GI isn't sure it's a full Celiac, but more of a serious allergy to wheat. He has no intestinal damage. (Which could just mean we are doing a pretty good job with the diet.)

Con still wants to try a gluten challenge this summer. That scares me a little. I don't want to chance another "chonic inflamatory disease" of some other organ.

Brother Bear is working now! He is part owner of a Tatoo shop and loving his life and finally working on loving himself. I am so happy for him. Just to hear the joy in his voice is so wonderful.

I am ok. Whiplash and fibro are consuming my life, but as long as I can get up and move, I do.

Love you all!!
Mrs. Bear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:30 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Oh, Mrs Bear, I'm so glad to hear Con is feeling so much better. *Love* the pics--you look so happy!!

I am here. Life is busy and I've spent too much time feeling crappy over the past year. I hope to be done with that. The weather was absolutely gorgeous yesterday so I got outside and soaked up some Vitamin D (and battled ye olde blackberries--sometimes I think they're like that knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail "I'm not dead yet").

Colin will be 10 in April and I'm just blown away by that. It doesn't seem possible that it's been 10 years since he was a very tiny very sick baby in neonatal intensive care. We are so so blessed with how well he is doing.

He's been reading a LOT of history books lately and now knows a lot more about history than I ever did. Better yet, he also taught my DH (who is a huge history buff) a bit of history that *he* hadn't heard of. Times like this homeschooling is really easy and sure makes me look good (with no effort on my part except ordering the books for him to read!).

Oh, and the cool news is that I've finally found a church I like and when I asked the pastor how I should handle communion since I can't eat the bread, he said they'd get GF bread for me to eat. And they did!

So life is good!

Rachel
rachelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:50 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklap View Post
Edit: I know something I can put in here. Last Wednesday [a week ago] night I got to spend in the hospital. Fun! I've been having chest pains since December. I had been ignoring them hoping they'd go away. In the middle Ash Wed. Church service I got hot and prickly all over, sweaty, very woozy and felt I was going to pass out. This scared me enough to leave church and go to the ER. After blood work that night, a day of testing on Thursday, they deemed my heart OK.
Sounds like menopause! Or how about hypoglycemia?

I'm doing just ok this month. After thinking my gut was made of cast iron, because it had been doing so well, I tested it a bit too much and upset things. I think a bag of potato chips did it. It certainly isn't "paleo"! Anyway, I think not so coincidentally that made my knee flare up in a particularly painful wait so sometimes it feels like a knife in my knee when I walk. I'm struggling to get the gut un-irritated and hope that'll resolve the knee issue.

Meanwhile, I've rediscovered sewing! Something I haven't done since I was a teenager. I found a book that describes how to make perfect fitting pants -- something I have issues with because of my shape. So I did it! I sewed a pair of very well fitted pants. Now I'm making my work bench in the garage my sewing room and I'm going to sew a lot more pants.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:12 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Falling in! Or is it out?

Glad to hear your heart's ok, Al. Sounds like a pretty scary experience.

Last month I reported I was reintroducing soy to my son on a 4-day rotation. He really enjoyed it! But after 3 or so weeks, he started having soakers and sleeping through them. So soy is out again. During this time period we also took him off flours, pasta and tomato. He's doing really well right now, so soon it will be time to figure out if gf pasta or tomato or gf flour is the food sensitivity.

As for me, I've been SO tired. I went from SAHM to working full-time. I don't know if "tired" is a normal reaction, or if I really do have Lupus, or if I'm getting glutened, or if .... nah, I can't be getting old! The good news is, I have health bennies and will start a part-time schedule soon which means we can keep homeschooling! The other good news is that my husband has resumed cooking after a 7-year hiatus!!!! I don't even want to think what we would have done if I had had to cook after getting off work!
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:29 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The beginning of March was rough, as another one of our geriatric cats passed away. It was very sad, but Ouiser (pronounced wheezer because he wheezed instead of meowing) lived a long life till almost 17 years old! And even more amazing, we had him 4.5 years after he was diagnosed with diabetes and we had been giving him insulin shots all this time. He was DH's cat, but we fell in love with each other (the cat, not DH ). Around the time he was diagnosed with diabetes, DH finally agreed to change the food from non-stop dry cat food to twice a day feedings of a homemade, raw food diet. I think this helped with controlling Ouiser's diabetes. Ouiser's sister, Lil, is still going at 17. She had a personality change for the better when we changed her diet to the raw food. She went from being a neurotic scaredy cat, to a sweet, loving cat. DH was converted on the power of food.

My kefir babies have doubled in size since I got them last month! I make new kefir everyday. I think it's really helping my gut.

Now that I have the fermenting bug, I tried some store bought kombucha, but I think I drank too much at first, because I had terrible gas the next day!

While I was grieving for Ouiser, I had a particularily low day, and binged on cheese and some wheat! The only dairy I usually have is the kefir. I had a half slice of my stepson's pizza, and you know what? I didn't even like it. I don't know if I had any adverse reactions to the pizza. If you remember, I supposedly got cleared of all my food allergies through the BioSET treatment. I may have been a little more depressed the next day, but that also could have been from still being blue about my kitty. My digestion was fine! Still, I'm worried I might have neurological symptoms from gluten, so I'm still going to avoid it. I really don't miss it anymore.

I did have some more cheese at a party last night, and I didn't have any adverse reactions. So, dairy seems to be ok again, though I'll probably still avoid it, except for my homemade fermented creations.

Claire
Old 03-12-2007, 07:58 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondheart View Post
...our geriatric cat... Lil, is still going at 17. She had a personality change for the better when we changed her diet to the raw food. She went from being a neurotic scaredy cat, to a sweet, loving cat. DH was converted on the power of food.
Claire,

Many hugs to you at this time of loss.

I also have a cat with the exact same personality changes. It further converted my thinking about the powers of food also.

(Aside: I am swamped with so many projects right now that I will try and get in to post something later. Suffice it to say that we are all well here. )
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote