Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Do you have another condition coexistant with your PD?

Would like to get an idea of what kind of conditions people have coexistant with their Parkinson disease. By this I do not mean related to. More " I have Parkinson Disease and I also have ..........."

If you have another medically diagnosed condition could you post on this thread. It will be interesting to see what conditions pop out. If you have more than one other please list those too.....

Lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-23-2011, 04:55 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylanka View Post
Would like to get an idea of what kind of conditions people have coexistant with their Parkinson disease. By this I do not mean related to. More " I have Parkinson Disease and I also have ..........."

If you have another medically diagnosed condition could you post on this thread. It will be interesting to see what conditions pop out. If you have more than one other please list those too.....

Lindy
Lindy,
Two conditions come to my mind
Folic acid deficiency: my serum levels were low when i was tested at different points in my life prior to PD diagnosis. i was on 800 microgram doses for a long time and I was taking supplements at the time of diagnosis though.

Chronic inflammation: not sure if people get routinely tested for it. In my case, IL-6 is the marker and it was always slightly higher than other "control" samples. My serum sample was a positive control (though not very highly positive) for IL-6 for my lab experimental assays. It was atleast 10 yrs prior to my PD diagnosis.

other two are generally associated with PD
rotator cuff tear and/or frozen shoulder: I am not sure if this condition co-exists or is a result of PD related muscle problems.

same with stress fractures: it could be gait related

thanks for asking
Girija
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 08:30 AM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi lindy,

Hpothyroidism

Early Menopause

Acid Reflux

Spinal disc degeneration with some arthritis

Mild osteoporosis

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 08:29 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Three years before PD diagnosis I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Seven years before PD I started having trouble with IBS (irritable bowel) but this is self-diagnosed as my mom and sister had it also.

A year after PD diagnosis I had trouble with eczema which is finally improving only after I started drinking green tea. I had seen a GP and dermatologist.

Last edited by marciaj; 04-24-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: remembered another condition
marciaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (04-27-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default other conditions

husband had partial thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer in 1982 (he wonders if the cancer was associated with his work with radioactive iodine for 4 yrs doing bench research). He has hearing loss& tinnitus as well as loss of smell --all occurred in 1978. doc at time told him he had a viral infection which was responsible for the 3 symptoms.

girija, do you take the folate preparation which is a breakdown product of folic acid? you probably know this information: ( preparation is used for those with MTHFR genetic mutation. One product is "FolaPro" manufactured by Metagenics. It is the active, preferred form of folate called L-5-methyl tetrahydrofolate (L-5-MTHF)

The gene MTHFR (Methylenetetrahydofolate Reductase) encodes the enzyme MTHFR. The enzyme functions to convert one form of folate (5,10-Methylenetetrahydofolate) to another form (5-Methyltetrahydrofolate). 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate is used to convert Homocysteine to Methionin. Mutations in the MTHFR gene result in higher plasma homocysteine levels.

Higher doses of B6 and B12 are also recommended for individuals with MTHFR mutations. there are prescription preparations containing high dose folic acid, b6 and b12 though i do not think the folic acid is the 5-MTHF form

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
girija (04-24-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default It's had to tell

I have osteoarthritis (bi-lateral arthroplasty 2007, rk revision 2008) Vitimin D deficiency, and torn rotator cuff, (but I'm almost positive that happened falling while coming down two fake marble stepps from the shower) and chronic TMJ that feels like my jaw is dislocated and pops so loud you can hear it across a room. I only just read that it can be connected. Other than that I am in perfect health.
pkell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (04-27-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 01:25 PM #7
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Dad has
DDD (degenerative disk disease) - had it before PD
GERD - had it before PD

He had some skin cancers removed a few years ago

*Has anyone else had skin cancers?*
I was reading about Mirepex & Sinemet again recently and noticed they both have similar mentions of possibly skin cancers - either due to the medications or related to PD...??

[People who have Parkinson's disease may have a greater risk of developing melanoma (a type of skin cancer) than people who do not have Parkinson's disease. There is not enough information to tell whether medications used to treat Parkinson's disease such as pramipexole increase the risk of developing skin cancer. You should have regular skin examinations to check for melanoma while you are taking pramipexole even if you do not have Parkinson's disease. Talk to your doctor about the risk of taking pramipexole.]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001004/
Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default anxiety !

I struggled with it all my life ..
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (04-27-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I also have Bi-polar Disorder, Fibromyalgia and Trigeminal Neuralgia (bi-lateral).

Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
-- Voltaire

dx'ed w/Young Onset Parkinson's Disease May 2006 at age 43. Symptomatic since 1997 or earlier. DBS June 22, 2010

dx'ed w/TN on right side 2007. GK x4, last GK 02/2013
Fowki is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (04-27-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 04:24 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thyroid goiter- had thyroid removed because needle biopsy was inclusive. Biopsy was benign, but now I have no thyroid.

Left vocal cord was paralyzed in thyroid surgery. Had another surgery to put an implant on vocal cord and regain my voice. (Now PD has caused a tremor on my larynx.)

Sciatica- began about 3 years before PD after falling on basement stairs, was better for a while, and now is probably aggravated by PD.

Arthritis in knees.

Acid reflux.
lindylanka (04-27-2011)