Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default imitrex dose

Is anyone taking Imitrex?

Will you please share your dose and if it is effective?

Do you usually take a migrane preventative and then when the pain is really bad take the Imitrex?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
postconcussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Depends how bad the migraine is. I will take anywhere from 25 to 100 mg for the initial dose, wait up to two hours and decide if I need to try a second dose.

Effectiveness varies. I would say in my case it is effective some 75% of the time (but may require multiple doses). When it works, it works very well, completely killing the headache. When it is ineffective, it doesn't work at all, with no detectable mitigation.

When to dose is as much an art as science. Early dosing can make a huge difference in effectiveness. In general, the sooner the better, but like most people my supply of sumatriptan is not unlimited. Using up all my monthly supply to interdict a small migraine may leave me defenseless against a subsequent and much worse one.

I would take a prophyllactic if one worked, but I have yet to find one that did for me.
  • MIGRAINE HEADACHES
  • INSOMNIA
  • ANGER & SELF-CONTROL (going "Frontal")
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
postconcussion (03-21-2012), Soccergal (03-23-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry you have this to deal with on top of everything. I do NOT have a head injury, so don't know if this will help you, but I suffered 20 years of Migraines of horrific proportions (3 days on bathroom floor vomitting, delusion thoughts, etc).

For me, the key was as Kenjhee said - take a pill as SOON as you "feel" it coming on. I could always tell. Then, lay down for a couple of hours. Immitrex makes me feel sick, in and of itself, I think. I sleep it off for a couple of hours then am ok when I wake up. Many people I talk to are like this (requiring sleep immediately after taking a dose). Try it and see if that helps you.

Good luck to you!

Wife of 54 year old hubby who sustained TBI January 2011 downhill skiing.

Hubby is: Machinist, off work since injury. 70% of the time feels really, really rotten (better! Used to be 99% of the time) 30% of time he just feels bad but can push thru to do something.

Current Symptoms: Light & noise sensitivity, brain fog (lessened by Zoloft), extreme fatigue, balance issues (walks with cane), cognitive problems (slowed & more difficult thinking), overwhelmed easily. Difficulty falling asleep but then could stay asleep for 12 hours or more
(Uses CPAP machine while sleeping due to apnea NOT caused by TBI)

All symptoms increased by stress, fatigue & crowds. Jostling movements (walking briskly, bumpy rides) are VERY bad & cause severe set-back

Seems to help: Taking 150mg Zoloft at night for symptom control, especially helps with "brain flips / swishing when walking" and brain fog (helped). 300 mg Gabapentin (100 3xdaily) for headaches (works pretty well. Minor headaches are eased by combined Acetaminophen & aspirin). Xanax for anxiety, but also seems to slow the overstimulation feeling when out-and-about. Feels best while lying down (vertical position seems to bring on symptoms)

Misc: Clear EEG, clear MRI'S (2 of them). No cut, bump or bruise after accident - all damage internal
Oddly enough, he's not bothered at ALL by tv
Praise the Lord he has NO difficulty driving.
AllAmericanAmy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Soccergal (03-23-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've done the bathroom floor thing more times than I can remember.

Roger also on the sleepy thing. I don't fall completely asleep, but I have noticed that pattern that just before the migraine breaks up, you get sleepy. For me it's only about 15 minutes. It's a great signal that this thing is almost over (until the next one). It doesn't seem to be the Imitrex, since I get the same sleepy signal when the headache terminates on its own. I've dealt with these some 36 years.
  • MIGRAINE HEADACHES
  • INSOMNIA
  • ANGER & SELF-CONTROL (going "Frontal")
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote