advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 06:18 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Roll Call - April 2007

I think Al's forgotten about NT this month, so I thought I'd start the roll call thread because I always enjoy hearing from everyone and what they're up to.

It's spring where I am. That means the beginning of 'project season'.

This year I got my order in for organic seeds and am looking forward to getting my garden going. We've gone organic, then grassfed in the last year. It's been interesting and I'm at a new level of learning now... acid levels. Thought provoking to say the least.

We're busy dealing with driveway contractors as we've decided to put a circle in (actually we've been using the circle for a couple of years to make sure we like the setup - so our front lawn is really looking pretty bad right now). It's been something we've been putting off because 300+ ft is not a small endeavour by any stretch of the imagination. It'll be racetrack material because that's more cost efficient yet still pretty tidy and bike-rideable (unlike gravel). We live on a gravel road too so it'll be nice to have somewhere that the children will be able to ride their bikes. Hopefully it will be done by the end of the month.

I'm working on my business plan/endeavours. Boy! When I walk into a store now, I have a whole new appreciation for the effort it takes to pursue something like that. I don't want to post any more info. than that because I don't want to be perceived as spamming... or whatever you call it... this is just what I've been up to lately... and why I don't get around to posting so much anymore.

We went to my parent's house last weekend. Dh was the first to react and now dd has had a tummy ache for the last couple of days and *d* (she's our non-reactor) and ds1 has spots that look like hives. My Mom put the gf bread she bought us in her toaster (dh didn't wash his hands after touching it - luckily I caught it before he took a bite) and the tablecloth I have at her house to keep on the kitchen table was taken off before we left and food was put on the table for everyone! (Colour me frustrated!) My parents really TRY to be supportive... but even after five years... they just don't seem to be able to think critically about cross contamination.

Of course the baby and I are fine because I'm just a gluten-free freak.

I love reading everyone's posts and am happy to re-connect.... even if it is only about once a month.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:38 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Awwwwwwww it's sad when people just don't get it! I have a wedding to go to on May 12th. My sister is celiac too, and the mother of the groom, so I am sure there will be good stuff for us. If not, I have a good time without food. I won't be eating much anyways because I will be driving back here the day after the wedding.

I have been looking forward to spring too. I have pansy's planted now and they look so pretty. I also have some flowers started in the house. They are sunbathing under their artificial sun as we speak . Morning glory's and moonflowers, I just love them both. I have some angel trumpets too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deb02a.jpg (1.4 KB, 81 views)
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:41 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ok well here goes... I've been doing well but a few weird things are happening. First is, my hair is falling out! I've always had a thick head of hair so it isn't like I'm at risk of going bald, but it is enough that my hairdresser commented on it. She probably noticed handfuls of the stuff in the sink. I brought it up to my rhuematologist and he mentioned folic acid deficiency (sulfasalazine depletes it) but I'm already taking oodles of it. I see the rheumy again on Monday for a follow up with my knee and he should have blood test results.

Other thought is thryoid. I think my thyroid was headed south... or rather, my replacement dosage wasn't working. But I realized I was taking it with calcium at the same time and that is a no-no. Calicium keeps you from utilizing it or absorbing, not sure which.

So I stopped that, then I had a terrible spell of insomnia which I think was my body reacting to the sudden influx of thyroid.

I'm still losing a lot of hair and it looks crispy and dry. That isn't normal for me. I am 48 and thinking menopause could kick in here at any time. It was 50 for my Mom and sister, 55 for my grandmother. Any ideas out there?

Ok, then I had a binge on popcorn -- it does terrible things to my intestines usually, although it seems to be taking awhile to kick in this time. Then I caught a cold -- I haven't had one in years and years. Now about 5 days into the cold and I'm feeling slightly feverish and very congested but the obvious cold symptoms are abated. Perhaps it is a sinus infection? And my intestines are terrible today. I made a special trip to the store to get more L-glutamine and just took 4 grams. I hope this will put a stop to that. Maybe it is a delayed reaction to the pop corn.

Healthwise this week has been absolutely awful. My face looks puffy, my hair is crispy. Crud, things were going so well for awhile.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Kim,

Sorry for dropping the ball! My time has been rather limited as of late. I've got a couple of personal projects that a I need to get done before we go on vacation, plus I've got stuff at work that I'm trying to get done too.

Stress of many things have been weighing me down...something's gotta give somewhere...the cracks are starting to widen.

Thanks Kim!

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:23 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Absolutely no problem at all!

I know how busy you've been lately.

That's why this support place is so great! If one person can't do it... somebody else can pick up the ball for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklap View Post
Sorry for dropping the ball! My time has been rather limited as of late.
Nancy, are you fasting too much, not at all, consuming corn when you (maybe) shouldn't be? (Just some thoughts rolling around my brain when I was reading your post.) I'm so sorry to hear you're not doing as well as you were! I will say a few prayers for you while I'm doing my quiet meditations this week.

Deb: Ooooh.... I want to get some moonflowers too!
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
Old 04-07-2007, 11:27 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Oh! I fell off the intermittent fasting around christmas time and haven't been able to get back on the band wagon. I'm pretty sure more than a serving of corn in one day is going to compromise the integrity of my gut. I know this, but the popcorn got the better of me. I remember even when I was a kid I was often sick after eating popcorn.

I'm doing better so far today. But slept 9.5 hours last night. I think I'm noticing signs of hypothyroid. Puffy face, dry skin, dry hair, hair falling out, sleeping a lot. I would just take an extra 1/2 a pill once a week, that might be enough, but I'm getting my blood tests for thyroid done in less than 6 weeks and it takes that long to get your levels stabilized after changing doses. So I'd better not.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:12 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Check out iodine deficiency which can result in hypoth. (sorry if this is old news and you've already thought of it):

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/umioddef.htm

What are the effects of iodine deficiency?
When the body becomes iodine-deficient the consequences can affect a person both physically and mentally. After many months of iodine deficiency a person may develop a goiter (an unsightly swelling of the thyroid gland in front of the neck), hypothyroidism and reduced mental function. It also increases the risk of still birth and infant deaths.
Iodine-deficient women may give birth to babies with severe mental and neurological impairment. If this deficiency occurs during infancy or childhood, it causes irreversible mental retardation, growth failure, speech and hearing defects, among others. Even mild deficiency may cause a low intellectual capacity.
What is hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism refers to any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. There are many disorders that result in hypothyroidism that may directly or indirectly involve the thyroid gland. Since the thyroid hormone affects growth, development and many cellular processes, inadequate thyroid hormone has widespread consequences for the body.
What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
The symptoms of hypothyroidism are often subtle. They are not specific, which means they can mimic the symptoms of many other conditions. And patients with mild hypothyroidism often have no symptoms.
Symptoms of hypothyroidism generally become more obvious as the condition worsens. Common symptoms include:
  • Fatigue
  • Depression
  • Modest weight gain
  • Cold intolerance
  • Excessive sleepiness
  • Dry, coarse hair
  • Constipation
  • Dry skin
  • Muscle cramps
  • Increased cholesterol levels
  • Decreased concentration
  • Vague aches and pains
  • Swelling of the legs
As the disease becomes more severe, there may be puffiness around the eyes, a slowing of the heart rate, a drop in body temperature and heart failure. In its most profound form, severe hypothyroidism may lead to a life-threatening coma. This condition requires hospitalization and immediate treatment with thyroid hormones given by injection. If left untreated, hypothyroidism can lead to an enlarged heart, worsening heart failure and an accumulation of fluid around the lungs.