Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default C5/6 Disc Fusion

Hi! I had my C5/6 disc fusion surgery with a cadaver bone, plate and screws September 29, 2012. I was a smoker and attempted to quit many times since. I have now successfully quit smoking as of Jan.2, with 3 days of patches. Since the 5th I have had no nicotine in my body to aid in quitting, I did cold turkey. I am doing great! My neck has been doing well in my recovery process,I still had minor pain, but was to be expected. My concern right now is last Sunday I have been experiencing uncomfortable pain in the surgery area, and some nerve issue happening on my left arm and foot numbness. I would like to know if this is normal? I also went 3 months with still smoking, could my pain be the cadaver bone finally fusing from the no nicotine? Could the withdrawal from nicotine be contributing? and finally I did some flying and a car ride as a passenger during the holidays,and public transportation. I was going to see if I could baby it with ice and heat this weekend, and ask this forum before going to my Doctor next week. Its almost like I have a kink on the right side neck/shoulder, affecting the nerve to my left arm and fingers. I have not had any therapy besides my own heat and ice. I am just a little concerned with the amount of pain I am having at this point with a possible set back or I over did it..Thank you, for any suggestions or similar experiences..
Checker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-13-2013)

advertisement
Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hopefully others will chime in too, but like you have already said, you are GOING to have some pain. You did some FLYING? Were you the pilot? It's possible you overdid it, but it's hard to say.

When you had surgery, there was a lot of trauma "in there" in that many nerves and tissue were hurt, and they're trying to heal. When nerves heal, it hurts. Nerves heal at the rate of one inch per month, and you're going to get zaps, burning, and alot of discomfort. No doubt there's still inflammation too. So you possibly irritated it even more with all the riding & flying you did. Hopefully it will settle down, but I think I'd talk to my doc about therapy too. I'm surprised he hasn't ordered it or at least talked to you about it.

As I said, hopefully others will chime in too. Please take care & keep us informed on how you're doing. God bless! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-13-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank your your reply, no I was not the pilot just the passenger on the plane. I am hoping this kind of subsides. I realize I will have pains, I just have been doing pretty good in my recovery since my surgery.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-13-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Thank your your reply, no I was not the pilot just the passenger on the plane. I am hoping this kind of subsides. I realize I will have pains, I just have been doing pretty good in my recovery since my surgery.
Hello I had a fusion similar to yours back in 2005, same area, cadaver bone, etc. I don't know if it's pertinent or not, but I had the worst pain after surgery, hurting my left shoulder the most (right side was more affected pre-surgery). The surgeon told me that the cadaver bone was larger than the space previously occupied by the disc, b/c he expected some compression over time as the fusion took hold. This caused some stretching of the nerves which really irritated them, but it did eventually go away. I also ended up on prednisone b/c of swelling inside my neck. Both of those issues occurred pretty soon after surgery, not months later, but everyone is different. I was also pretty young for my surgery, only 33, and pretty active w/workouts, which may have helped me 'bounce back' quickly.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

eta: About 6 months post surgery I had a horrible neck spasm that happened simply as I was rolling over in bed at night. It was severe and made me scream out, scaring my husband LOL I thought I had somehow managed to re-injure my neck. I requested physical therapy at that point which I would suggest you do if you can...they have stretches and exercises they can teach you that will help increase your range of motion (mine had gotten stiff, apparently) and show you movements to avoid. I have also since been dx'd with peripheral neuropathy, so my lingering nerve pains in arms, hands, etc are likely explained by that. I do NOT have all the same pains/etc that I'd had pre-surgery, though, so I do think it helped.

Last edited by BetsyAnn; 01-12-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: forgot something
BetsyAnn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank you

I thank you so much for your experiences you have had and suggestions. I am going to ask my surgeon about the cadaver bone size also, along with some therapy. I do have a hard time sleeping and getting comfortable, I am lucky if I get 6 hours of broken sleep a night. I am still very grateful that I believe my surgery is a success that got me out of my bed. I will still have damage in my neck and just need to preserve what is left. I don't think the surgery fixes the spinal stenosis, which was 5 mm narrowed to spinal column or the disc degeneration I have. Its just important to be careful and learn to preserve and maintain what I do have with not promoting the degeneration speed process. Have a great day/evening! God Bless!.....Kim
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had a cervical fusion of 6/7 about 4 1/2 years ago. It was the best surgery I'd ever had! My surgery pain was next to none and it relieved 80% of my symptoms.

I few months later I did begin having what I considered "bone pain" due to new hardware. That pain seemed like it did make my neck spasm and I felt alot like you're explaining. It was off and on again and never did progress or become something more than "uncomfortable" from time to time. I did just fine for a couple of years and I hope you do just fine forever.

For the following, please don't think I'm being the bearer of gloom and doom, but I wanted to share to help others as they move forward.

I read at the time and having just one level done as I did, when there is degenerative processing in place, will often times lead to additional surgeries as the fusion destabablizes the adjoining levels.

I'm here to tell you that I bear witness to that as we speak. Two years after surgery I began having new and different pain, spasms, etc. I then had more problems. I blew it off because I knew than my MRI's showed DDD. I was going to have aches and pains, right?

I wish I'd listened to my body more.

Please remember to do the same and listen to your body. If you start having increased or different symptoms, please go back for an MRI and check how things are going. Even if I weren't having problems, I'd have "check on things" MRI's every couple of years.

If you'd like more information on my journey, I have a post here as to where I'm at right now.

Good luck with continued healing!
forevernana4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 PM #7
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi to forum

I just wanted to tell you I agree with the post to be careful. If you notice any new pain as the years go by, don't wait but go in to have it checked on. I did indeed need more surgery due to DDD. Fused now C3-7 and T1-2-3 is being watched. I am more careful than I want to be! I wish all of you the best. Less pain, and successful outcomes. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank you

I do not look at it like gloom at all,I so welcome your experiences. Thank you forevernana4,ginnie,and all. I am trying my best to take it easy with my neck,I have been taking more pain medication for the past 2 weeks. I was hoping the pain in my plate area and into my right shoulder blade was from my quitting smoking.I know it sounds odd but its been since i quit i have experienced discomfort at a high level. I thought the cadaver was possibly fusing now.lol..I may have over used it,and its just coincidence. I will keep in touch on here as I appreciate everyone,and what we are going through. I am not feeling better yet.I thank goodness for my ice packs and heat bean bag!! And I cannot forget my wonderful animals keeping me company while healing!!
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-22-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Medication

I was also just wondering...I am taking Percocet for my pain when I go out. I do not take anything else.Is there something that may help with the Percocet? Would I benefit from Gabapentin or Muscle relaxers?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 AM #10
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Checker

The amount of pain you are experiencing I think is normal. It hurts! Pain for me was a good 5-6 weeks. Percocet, and a muscle relaxant to prevent spasms called Soma is what I took. That greatly helped me, better than just percocet alone. Just keep taking it easy, don't over do while you heal. I remember I slept alot! If you have concerns that your pain is unusual or not going in the improvement direction, do call your doctor. Every day I seemed to get just a tiny bit better. I hope you do too. I am thinking and sending good thoughts your way. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote