Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I saw the doctor today

I saw my pain management doctor (MRI ordering physician). He looked art my MRI and results and said twice...this is not good, this is not good.

He explained that I have multiple compressions and they were the cause if all symptoms and then some.

I'm to wear a cervical collar until I see neurosurgeon, do little with great care in not exposing myself to sudden movement let alone potential, even minor, injury.

I told him I would call neurosurgeon, but last time it took months and he said I was not to call. I should take CD of films, drop off at reception with specific instruction that my doctor has requested he view them asap then schedule me accordingly. It scared me to think that "time is of the essence".

It does validate what I thought I picked up from technician on the day of MRI. She did lumbar MRI then came out and set me up for cervical. After that, and before injecting contrast, she questioned he about followup and when. The way she was acting prompted me to ask if that was soon enough and she actually thought about it and said that SHOULD be ok. Just strange and I picked up on an urgency then.

Anyhow, I'm filling you all in. I'm so glad to have answers but now have alot more such as...

Surgery is not an option?

Will it be multiple levels?

If multiple levels, will they use bone grafts?

How long in hospital?

How long is recovery afterward?

Whew...

Thanks for reading.
forevernana4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow im sorry-- i remember u had a single fusion c6 c7 correct a few yrs ago? I also remember your last mri said cord flattening is that correct ? i may be guessing here but i think your disc above this level started to show some problems and didnt you have some bone spurs to ? Based on just the dr saying this is not good-- Im guessing more surgery-- but if it is-- defintely would be a multi level fusion . The hospital stay 24 to 48hrs usually if there are no problems. The recovery is similar to your first surgery --each surgery is diffrent as well. If you risk perm never damage they I would def have it done but get more then one consult. Also is remember you were having some severe problems with incontience and stuff....which would be very concerning . If is surgery indeed is on the table remember to ask about getting the bone growth stimulator to help you heal. Find out will or can they can do the surgery from the front again? Im truly am very very sorry you are going thru this all over.

Last edited by mg neck prob; 01-24-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: retype spelling
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-22-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you so much for your carrying response.

I have my CD of MRI in to a local NS here. He's to review it today with someone calling me with his recommendation early next week. That's pretty good I think!

Again, thank you for sharing what you know and I'll update when I know more.

((((grateful hugs))))

PS...I already have a bone growth stimulator from first surgery so that's a plus. Thanks for that reminder!

[QQUOTEUOTE=mg neck prob;950439]Wow im sorry-- i remember u had a single fusion c6 c7 correct a few yrs ago? I also remember your last mri said cord flattening is that correct ? i may be guessing here but i think your disc above this level started to show some problems and didnt you have some bone spurs to ? Based on just the dr saying this is not good-- Im guessing more surgery-- but if it is-- defintely would be a multi level fusion . The hospital stay 24 to 48hrs usually if there are no problems. The recovery is similar to your first surgery --each surgery is diffrent as well. If you risk perm never damage they I would def have it done but get more then one consult. Also is remember you were having some severe problems with incontience and stuff....which would be very concerning . If is surgery indeed is on the table remember to ask about getting the bone growth stimulator to help you heal. Find out will or can they can do the surgery from the front again? Im truly am very very sorry you are going thru this all over.[/QUOTE]
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-22-2013), Kateinbluebell (01-25-2013), mg neck prob (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It is really difficult to give details of what you should expect from surgery.

First of all the doctor is the best one that can answer some of these questions for you.

But we really need to know more such as what type of surgery is being with specifics.

Also do you have the MRI report? I always get a copy of the report for my records.

I usually post the MRI report it self so that it can be read by the people on this board. It is up to you as to wheter you want to post the report here on line or not. I usually do so that others can respond in a better fastion.

Also with more information those of that have been thru surgery similar to yours we can give you more details of what to expect from the surgery; the hospital stay and recovery time.

If things are urgent as you indicate I recommend keeping on top of the surgeons office so that you get a response quickly.

Good luck and keep us poste on how you make out
pebblebeach2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
forevernana4 (01-25-2013), ginnie (02-22-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I have another thread on this first page (started by me) with recent MRI report.

I didn't hear from neurosurgeon today so I'm taking that as a good sign that it's not as urgent as some feel. That makes me feel better too do that anyhow...lol.

I'll keep updated and thank you again. If you have thought on MRI or questions, please don't hesitate.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-22-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

No advice but happy that you had a Dr. appt and something is being done to help you!
Holles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
forevernana4 (02-07-2013), ginnie (02-22-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi

just wondering if you got any updates and how your feeling now?
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 03:33 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

How are you? Did you get a neurologist visit?

Thinking of you & hoping all is well.
Holles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-22-2013)