Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ACDF next Monday C6-C7

Hello everyone, my name is Dave and I am new here. I was diagnosed last month with multilevel degenerative disc disease with herniations at C5-C6 (mild stenosis) and C6-C7 with broad based right foramina protrusion resulting in severe right neuroforaminal stenosis and compression of the right C-7 nerve root. Although I have lost some strength in my right tricep and have been experiencing numbness in two of my fingers, I am not in much pain with the exception of occasional "electric shock feelings" in my shoulders and middle back. However, the concern is obviously not pain but the disc protrusion that is compressing my nerve root. I am an active 35 year old teacher, weight lifter and scuba dive master. Although some of the strength in my right arm has returned during weight training over the past few weeks, I am unwilling to risk further injury to my nerve in the future. Complete muscle atrophy is my ABSOULTE worst fear of all. My neurosurgeon suggested that we try to get artificial disc surgery approved by my insurance before fusion but it was denied due to another small disc protrusion at C5-C6 which we are not operating on because it is not currently compressing the nerve root. The insurance company did not want to pay extra for a disc that may get thrown in the trash if I need a double level fusion in the future. That said, I am now scheduled for ACDF surgery next Monday 4/15/13 and was approved by the insurance today. Now that I know this is actually happening, reality is beginning to kick in. I have done TONS of research on this procedure and I have one of the best neurosurgeons in the state. However, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't scared to death. I have NEVER had surgery in my life and this is pretty major for a first timer. After googling and finding this board, I feel a better sense of comfort knowing that there are others in my situation. I am wondering if anyone here is having this surgery around the same time as me?? I reckon it will be less stressful and lonely knowing that there are others going through the same thing that I am Anyway, its a pleasure to meet you all and I appreciate any advice you can give me.
Dave
Megalodonbite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (04-11-2013)

advertisement
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Dave! This is a great board. You are most definitely not alone. I just had a 3 level ACDF (c4-c7) 22 days ago. I had 3 very large herniations ~ one crushing my spinal cord and the other 2 were pushing into the thecal sac pressing on some nerve roots. In December I went to the doctor because of tingling and numbness in my right thumb and pointer finger with some pain in between my shoulder blades. I was scheduled for an MRI. I went for the MRI and returned to work. As soon as I walked through my office door, my doctor's office was on the phone with my results and told me they had set me up with a neurosurgeon due to the seriousness. I could not have been more flabbergasted or scared. I was told to stop exercising ASAP. I'm a runner (that loves half marathons and races like that) and I also work out with kettlebells. I'm a 38 year old mother of two and in pretty decent shape. The 1st neurosurgeon suggested 6 weeks of physical therapy and traction. The neurologist who did my EMG and my doctor were both floored by that and suggested getting a second opinion. I researched my 2nd neurosurgeon and also talked to people he has operated on as well. He told me point blank that I was crushing my spine and all 3 levels needed to be done. As I said, I'm 22 days post-op and am walking anywhere from 3-5 miles per day, haven't taken any pain meds since 8 days past surgery and am trying to remain positive. I am still reconciling with the fact that I won't run half marathons anymore. I'm trying to get them to say I will be able to run a few miles 2x per week (I'm not nearly at that point yet though) but no one will commit to any answers yet. On a good note, I have read that with single level fusions, you should be able to return to all of your physical activities prior to surgery. Good luck to you!
ChelKB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Megalodonbite (04-10-2013), mg neck prob (04-11-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I hope you've talked extensively with your surgeon. Surgery should be the LAST OPTION after all conservative methods have been tried and failed.

Surgery most often will NOT cure your pain. Usually you'll have the same pain or WORSE after surgery. Surgery is only for mechanical problems. Also, you have to expect the "Domino Effect." This is where the levels above and below the surgery site fail. It's because they have to take on more of the load. Newer studies have shown that people who have had surgery get the same results as people who have had PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!

I've also done tons of research on this, so I'm not just blowing smoke. Too many fusions/surgeries have been done in this country, when conservative methods SHOULD have been used. And the patients end up having to pay for this for years and years on end by being in physical pain!!!

I'm NOT saying that you shouldn't have surgery. I haven't seen your MRI, etc. I hope you got at least 3 opinions including your present surgeon.
I wish you the very best. PLEASE let us know how you come out, OKAY? God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Megalodonbite (04-10-2013), mg neck prob (04-11-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 01:12 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[Hi Dave ,

I think most of us were scared of the surgery I had c4-c7 fusion in 7-2010. I have no regrets. However-- that being said I had no choice all 4 disc were pressing the spinal cord and I was in mind blowing pain prior to surgery.Yes, there are risk to this surgery of adjacent disc disease for the level above and below fusion site-- those good disc take the brunt of the new hardware. That being said this surgery is usally done to avoid perm neuro problems. I agree with Lessa due to risk involved u should always get at least 2 or 3 consutls. There is a procedure called ESI (epidural steroid injections) that has worked for some of my friends and family. If surgery is only viable option with a single fusion you should turn out ok. Pain wise surgery itself was not bad at all for me ----much better for it. Im actually in the process of doing a flip home and doing much of the work myself. On top of that I work 10 hr days in a office. If you made up your mind going thru the surgery have things around the house like soup,yougart ,soft food for the first week and straws in case your in a collar they helped alot even when taking meds in case your throat is swollen for a few days. If you have a recliner-- i slept in that for awhile but I was in worst shape then you prior to surgery. I was actually going parlyzed on right side--- this surgery gave me my life back. With a single fusion you should be able to due most physcial activties in time but dont push it until your fully fused. I walked alot during my recovery to gain back energy level. Lifting should not be done for several months and avoid alot of bending and twisting until your told your fused. If u have any further ? feel free to ask--I remember i spent alot of time wondering about this surgery and fear of my future--as I said it all turned out for the better. I wish I didnt spend all the time worrying looking back--because --next thing u know you will be home and on the mend within 24 hrs. Wish you all the best!!!
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Megalodonbite (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 05:42 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you all very much for your replies and support Its nice to have a place to come with others I can turn to that understand! Although I am dreading this surgery, I remain optimistic about my recovery. I also have faith in my neurosurgeon, as he is one of the best in the state and I have heard so many success stories.

Having said this, my reason for going forward with this surgery does not necessarily have anything to do with pain. In fact, I'm not in much pain at all...it comes and goes at times and isn't fun but its generally bearable. My reason for having this surgery is my fear of complete atrophy in my arm. Although I am not at that point yet, as I speak, the nerve is being compressed possibly causing further damage. This is why I have not elected to do epidurals because they are for pain and simply numb the nerve...they do not relieve compression. As a dive master and weight lifter, I cannot afford the risk of further injury. Every time I'm driving, I am scared someone will rear-end me, protruding it even further. Although I understand this surgery is serious, the risk of letting it go certainly outweighs the potential complications of surgery in my mind. Sure, I can get injections to cover up the pain but what happens the next time I accidently lift a scuba tank the wrong way? Logically, it makes sense to have surgery.

Its inspiring hearing how well you all are doing after surgery, especially considering you have all had multi-levels done...which is a lot worse than mine. I realize that I could potentially end up with the same thing in the future but being so young, its important for me to be able to live my active life to the fullest for as long as I can. Its going to be tough enough being away from the gym but I am going to take it one step at a time. I will definitely keep you all updated after surgery on Monday and thanks again for the support and kind words
Dave
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (04-11-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Good luck today. Thinking of you and hoping for a successful surgery and recovery.
ChelKB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[Best wishes Dave today !!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

GOOD LUCK DAVE!
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank you all so much!

Hey everyone, thank you all SO much for thinking of me and your support! Got home from hospital last night and surgery went well. Doc said the protrusion was pretty significant so I'm glad that I made this decision. Its great to be home finally and in my own bed. Nights seem to be the worst time for me...very painful. I don't know what I would do without the Percocet. When the painkillers are working I feel pretty good but without them, its excruciating...then again this is only day three. I am pretty upwardly mobile though. Can take walks with no problem and do most things on my own. The neck brace is quite annoying but makes me feel a lot more stable. I feel like I will break like a twig when its off although that may be more psychological. Overall, I guess I'm progressing pretty well. Sore throat absolutely sucks but I'm able to eat normally etc. How is everyone else feeling?
"Thanks for this!" says:
ChelKB (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodonbite View Post
Hey everyone, thank you all SO much for thinking of me and your support! Got home from hospital last night and surgery went well. Doc said the protrusion was pretty significant so I'm glad that I made this decision. Its great to be home finally and in my own bed. Nights seem to be the worst time for me...very painful. I don't know what I would do without the Percocet. When the painkillers are working I feel pretty good but without them, its excruciating...then again this is only day three. I am pretty upwardly mobile though. Can take walks with no problem and do most things on my own. The neck brace is quite annoying but makes me feel a lot more stable. I feel like I will break like a twig when its off although that may be more psychological. Overall, I guess I'm progressing pretty well. Sore throat absolutely sucks but I'm able to eat normally etc. How is everyone else feeling?
Hi Dave --glad you posted. I was able to eat as well-- but throat was sore first week. Sleeping good takes some time---night is always the worst. I had this love/hate relationship with the neck brace its nice for the support but gets annoying as well. Before surgery I felt very unstable like my neck was going to snap off --lol---after i felt more secure. The walks help alot --this surgery sucks your energy level to zero plus i had really tight traps-- the walking helped alot to loosen them up. Glad to hear your doing pretty well--keep me updated. Im sure your happy the worst part is over and your on the mend now
"Thanks for this!" says:
ChelKB (04-17-2013)