Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 2nd opinion doctor

The Owcp doctor agreed with plexus/nerve root disorder (TOS) diagnosis.
Put limitations of no repetitive motion, no lifting,climbing,pulling, pushing and etc.. Plus recommended three therpies a week and pain management. Thats from thier doctor but I still have to meet with a vocational rehab counselor. What pssibily could I do?
billy027 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-17-2007, 06:58 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy027 View Post
The Owcp doctor agreed with plexus/nerve root disorder (TOS) diagnosis.
Put limitations of no repetitive motion, no lifting,climbing,pulling, pushing and etc.. Plus recommended three therpies a week and pain management. Thats from thier doctor but I still have to meet with a vocational rehab counselor. What pssibily could I do?
Hi billy027; You don't say what location you live in. I have gone through voc rehab. Is it determined that there will be retraining? Or is this a labour market return? Usually there is an interview with a counsellor and an interest test. Unfortunately, wc's first interest is to get you off the system. It doesn't seem to matter if you like a certain field. Good luck. It's important for you to know up front if there is retraining or if you will get help preparing resumes and have benefits durning a job search. Let us know how you make out.
hairdresser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I don't know.

It's in the Phila. Nj area. Federal owcp.
Thier dr. also said only four hours of work.
I can't see doing any job right now with this injury
Old 07-17-2007, 11:20 AM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Dr & w/c sent me back to work as a test to see if I could handle it or not had no restrictions at first - but had to get some added as I began to hurt again. I lasted 2.5 months. I knew I could never do that work again.

Any time you get restrictions - be very sure to follow them all the time esp if you do go back to work. Some employers might not be clear about them or they mat try to trick you into doing more than you are supposed to do.

I was confused at the time about if my restrictions meant only for at work or all the time. I did do more at home but it wasn't repetitive so it didn't bother me as much. I was totally messed up for a while then I didn't do much at all.

Be very cautious with the therapy- communicate with the PT if you have any increases in pain or any new pain or symptoms.
I hope they start with pain relief therapy first before moving into more active things.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 PM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Gosh Billy there is so much I could add for you about voc rehab eval. My son's went well, my daughters they treated ehr like scum saying she could ppump gas, cook and serve at Micky D's, and hostess cutomer support at Cracker Barrel, then said she did not show for the appointments, had to go to court...the judge was po's, the kid couldn;t even stay awake from medications, in horrible flare that day. Last we ever saw of w/c, the judge ordered a settlement be reached.

There are p's and Q's to watch with these guys, they are as bad as IME doctors. It did not matter that should could not cut her own food, droped her own plate on the floor, is hse had a can of soda in her hand, her brain could not feel it and it would drop...loss of sensory feeling, and if the eye losses site of can, boom it falls.

So he figures she could do any of theose jobs, IDIOT.
Son had a lot of anxiety, he was unable to stay in the resturante when he met with the woman voc rehab. He had to go outside. The side effects of long term pain, and being unable to do ann the active life things he did, lack of sleep, meds, have side effects...so this women said no job she could reccomend for him.

For me, I just decided to go back to college part time and finished my degree, I work two four hour days. It is 7 years post injury. I mostly sleep in between and do what I can to care for family and home.

Having a doc on your side treating to give a supportive report for you, the restrictions too ahrd for any employer to meet is criticle. FOr example, you want nothing heavier then a quart of milk a few times a day, sitting no more then 20 minutes with a break, standing only as needed 5 minutes, not reaching above the waist, no lifting above the waist. Stooping occasionally, no ladders, step stool, computer ten minutes with break, no more then opne hour a day. ETC...

Do you have a supportive doctor? If w./c is giving you trouble you need this.
Hope the condensed version helps.
can;t fit a lifetime of dealing with the w/c system for 14 years on this page.

feel free to ask ?
Dianne

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:05 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank you

My doctor is supportive but thier using the second opinion drs. limitations. They are not bad but I am concerned about it. Is there anything I specifically should know about meeting the couunselor. What not to say? What to say?

I prefer not to go back to Po they don't follow limitations and treat limited duty people like crap. I talked to counselor on the phone and she acted very friendly. I don't trust that much though.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Billy, volunteer nothing. Don;t take the friendliness as having your best interest at heart. Far to many times over the year saw this in action and come back to screw folks over by gaining their trust.

Only answer the questions. Paint a picture to your limitations to the counsilor.
If they ask about driving, tell of medications make in limited, of support of arms needed, limit to a 20 minute drive and that is with switching hands and rest arms *** they fall asleep. If they ask about sleeping, pain the picture of how and if naps, etc.

If they ask about making food, the limits to quick meals, microwave or someone other cooks....To dressing, when you do dress it is in easy wear, many things you have are liesure and pull on not zipper or buttons.

Computer work, limited to days to pay bills read news, can not type for more then few minutes.

Who does grocery shopping, if other does it state, if you do a small store, limited items and weight, state that. Recreation...what is that. family get togethers, watch a son play little league when you can (when these apply).

WHen they are accessing, they ask, do you email friends or talk on the phone...meaning, Oh, you can use a computer and talk on the phone type JOB!!!! That is how they sneaky twist it, remember that.

You think it is a friendly comment , do you email family or talk to them on the phone and next thing that you know they recommend a job monitoing security camera's, telemarketing, or receptioning, hostess.....

Just state the facts in as few words, do not go into details, when you feel interogated or trapped, If it is No then that is it, if yes, only give what you need,

I hope that it goes well, if the results are not favorable it is not the final word...you still have a say. Also with limitations, if you can not do them voice to the doctor what you can not do and how you can do something lesser. Like not a gallon of milk but a quart....or two liter bottle of soda in not resonable for you to be carrying around and to pour.

Good luck
Di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

billy 027, It's important to let the vocational rehab counsellor talk first. Let them put everything on the table first. I'm glad your doctor is there for you. Wc has decided you can work 4 hours a day? Not too long ago I was deemed at working 40 hours a week I know how stressful and unfair the system can be. I am now appealing thier decision. The truth is they will expect you to try. Once thier decision is made, it's full speed ahead. I still shake when I have to call my casemanager It just puts a bad flavor in my day.
My Doctor never released me to work but thier medical advisor said I could and therefore I was deemed and given a job search and additional 13 weeks of job search and cut off. My Doctor suggested a cppdisability. I'm not trying to upset you and my heart breaks for you being in this unfair system. I really hope someone will step up to the plate and back you. Have you any more spealists you want to see? I always reccomend you see as many Doctors as you can. Good luck and my thoughts are with you Billy.
hairdresser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:42 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My doctor says no work. Thiers says 4 hours with limitations.

So they use thiers.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:53 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi billy just a thought did there doc do a physical exam of you or is the doc going by the reports from the other doctor you have seen. If he has not seen you then write a letter back to them requesting so. Make sure you say things like how can he say these things when he has never seen you where as your doctor has and is aware of what you can do and can't get your doctor to write a letter as well being firm about what your limits are. The same happened to me with comps doctors it worked for me. I hope everything works out for you i know dealing with all this **** can really be frustrating and cause more pain because of how they treat you. If you would like any help with writting a letter let me know i can show you the types of things i put in mine it might help or not anyway i am around if you need some help or feed back good luck
mucker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote