Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 07:01 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question Needed? a forum for people suffering foreclosure and other legal problems -

Hi,

I'm working on revising my appeal brief. I couldn't go to sleep last night at all. I finally got a couple hours this morning after 7.

I know a lot of people are going to be facing foreclosure, and it's so distressing.

(I blame Realtors for the nationwide problem... and they haven't ever been mentioned as far as I've heard.)

In any case, last night I saw that the lawyer for the mortgagee in my case lied repeatedly in court, and he also happened to say that's what his firm has done for years...

He didn't say, "We've been cheating and lying to people for years," rather he described what he did and my case and said they'd been doing it for years.

The thing is, it's taken me over a year to see this because it was so stressful and the more stressed I am, the less well I see things.

And, the lawyers I hired and that cost me 7 times as much money as I have left now, totally either agreed with him because they're all lawyers, or else they didn't bother to do a very good job for me and didn't find the problems although the problems were repeatedly made.

I cannot tell people enough how important it is to really look at your legal papers, because there are rights you should have... and that lawyers are keen, VERY KEEN, to deprive you of.

So.... that's why I think we could use a forum for this kind of thing...

What do you think?

advertisement
Old 09-02-2007, 11:26 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Mad

OF course this is a good place to talk about this since it is Probably affectiong your health either mental or physical or BOTH.

Foreclosure is Rampant in the U.S. right now. Don't totally blame yourself. The banks, ******* LAWYERS and the finance companies are the only winners in this MESS. People can't make ends meet because wages are so low for the average Joe. Price fixing, the Government and runaway inflation is Killing a lot of working people. It's the system gone haywire and I hate for individuals to blame themselves when forces beyond their control are Screwing them Over.

I'm sure if you look back NOW there may have been a way to avoid this but ONE major, unexpected expense can land anyone in your situation. Most people are, so I have heard, one month from being homeless, maybe two. I'm sure you have also heard how the American Dream has turned into a Nightmare.

I have never been homeless, well maybe ONCE when I was 17 I ran away from home to get away from abuse. I was gone for 2 weeks but the cops found me and dragged me back. But I remember sleeping on the hood of a car because it was warm, for a few hours anyway. But I do recall that feeling of not having a home.

My advice would be make arrangements NOW for a place to go. You don't want to be on the streets or living in your car. prepare for the worst and you are usually not disappointed.

I hope CT you can keep us Posted on what's happening with you.
Wiix is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:35 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi Wiix,

That's a very thoughtful and considerate reply, and I'm grateful.

I've weathered several foreclosures so far... I worry about people who aren't as conservative as I am and maybe not such fighters.

I used to try to not be such a fighter, but then it made me too vulnerable and I realized my mistake.

I was thinking an hour or so ago about how this is going to impact health in a widespread way. I would bet so, at least.

What I would like to say in a forum like that is that if someone thinks they may be going into foreclosure, it would be a good idea to get debt counseling... not those things that consolidate debt, but counseling.

I say that because I think the bankruptcy rules have been changed so that people can't file unless they've had counseling, so they won't be able to protect their property the way that I was able to.

That upsets me.

((((((((((((Wiix))))))))))))))

Thank you so much for writing such a thoughtful reply.

(My appeal is to get back a property that was foreclosed and sold without notice to me of the judgment or sale. That's a denial of due process. But so far it's been a battle ... That's because the Realtor was really happy to get my $150,000 equity and the judge laughed when I mentioned my disability.)
Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 AM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Frown

Sounds like your drowning in a Sea of Legalities. I'm so sorry for you. All the legal system does is chew you up and spit you out.

I have been throught that a couple times. I was divorced twice and I had no control, the lawyers did. First time I got screwed over so I learned NEXT time if it should happen again just be as vicious and nasty and I benefitted from my experience.

I live a simple life now. I have just what I need and avoid all entanglements that may land me in court someday. That Includes marriage. The MORE you have the harder people try to take it away from you. Simplify, simplify, SIMPLIFY DAMN IT!!! I too have a disability but I don't tell many people IRL. Then they look at you as weak and try to take advantage.

IF I could live by myself on an island somewhere away from civilization and people I'd be SO happy.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:29 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

OMG - How telling is that, that you'd choose to live on an island.

It's like I do. I seldom go out and I see people for only a few seconds five days a week when they bring me my dinner.

I'm glad you feel you learned and that it helped you, but how sad. How very sad that the legal system isn't seen as an opportunity for justice.

I was actually shocked when I saw from the record that the lawyer lied. In my first brief I had a lot of insults to the court because of how the judge treated me. I knew he was ignoring denials of due process and I know the law regarding the automatic stay. It's very clear, Damages are mandatory.

So when the judge refused me any kind of relief and gave my condo to this guy, the Realtor, I knew it was wrong. I'm very careful and I always check things before I say them. But I did not see that the Plaintiff hadn't resent the things he'd served in violation of the Automatic Stay. I just do not see things.

But the lawyers knew I was making a mistake.

So they took advantage of that.

But then, the one for Ocwen actually lied to make it appear in court that he hadn't violated the automatic stay.

On the back pain support group at WebMD a wonderful participant gave me a link to a site ... oh, I hate that things in my memory fade... RipOffReport, I think that's the name of the site. There are over 88 pages of reports on Ocwen. They really take advantage of people.

One of the things they used to do that was very confusing to me, is they would send a check, a real check ... some small amount of money, say $5 or $10. It was really hard to tell that if you cashed the check they were going to start charging you every month for whatever ...

It was so confusing because mortgage servicers do really send checks if there's an overage in the escrow account, so it seems a lucky legitimage thing. And then when you call to say no, you made a mistake, they give you such a run around that it's nearly impossible to stop the charges.

I can't imagine what people do who have the kind of disability I do but without the prior experience of success related to their thinking ability.

I think it must be very much more difficult not to be swamped.

Once again... I really appreciate your post.

thank you.

I hope you have a lovely day.

Are you going to be doing something fun?

(((((((((Wiix)))))))))
Old 09-03-2007, 01:19 PM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Talking

Thanks CT. I am having what I call a "WaterDay". I lay around, drink LOTS of water, take hot tub with epsom salts, nap, watch movies, listen to relaxing music, have a nice Treat of some kind. Just pampering myself today. Spent yesterday in the sun and got "FRIED", but had a lot of fun so I need to rehydrated and Moisturize. Maybe a nice Fresh Fruit Smoothie later too. Just ReCharging today. Tomorrow it's back to the RatRace out there.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

That sounds lovely.

I'm enjoying it vicariously.

Do you have aloe at all?

I used to buy bottles of it, and now I use my plants. If you rub aloe on your skin where it was overexposed to the sun, it is healing. I've had it keep a burn from peeling. or is that... pealing... I think a bell peals... is that right.

Where oh where have my brain cells gone...

((((((((((Wiix))))))))))
Old 09-03-2007, 04:18 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Yes CT, I have Aloe plants. But I also have just about every kind of lotion one can buy. I have an entire basket of various kinds right on the floor next to my desk. But I find the best thing is really drinking lots of water and using Cocoa Butter. A large jar costs only about $3. at Walgreens. I go through a few jars a year. Especially good on your cracked heels. Mine get so bad I have to razor them at least once a week or they get thick like brick. Then if they crack they bleed and hurt like HELL!!

Right now I just lit a nice incense and have the AC on full blast. I was laying down watching a movie, "Mrs. Brown", starring Judy Dench, while enjoying a big mug of Bewley's Irish tea. I LOVE historic movies. Let's see, I should show you:

The story begins in 1864, three years after Queen Victoria (Dench) has lost her beloved husband and mentor Albert, plunging into a deep and dizzying depression, which results in a complete disappearance from public view. Despite incessable efforts by some of her children, her loyal staff--and her worshipping public--no one seems to be able to lift the spirits of the disconsolable queen, who's soon labeled "The Widow of Windsor."

Into this gloomy milieu enters Scottish servant Brown (Connolly), the Royal Family's loyal hunting guide and horse caretaker, who devotes his life to one goal: cheering his queen and protecting her, both physically and emotionally, from any potential harm. Down-to-earth and with no regard for protocol, Brown causes immediate upheaval in the Court, disrupting the previously silent dinners, whispering in hallways and other formal conventions. Charmingly nonchalant and single-mindedly committed to his task, Brown is the only person who doesn't treat the queen with gloves or fear.

Brown's insolence seems to be working a magical spell on the queen who, for the first time in years, begins to react emotionally--as a person and as a woman. Spurred by Brown's insistence, she begins to smile and resumes her rides, spending long days walking with Brown and confiding in him. Despite the sharp contrast in social status, and the impossible barriers of class, politics, and rigid norms, Victoria and Brown are attracted to one another as individuals needing the basic emotions of intimacy, affection and loyalty. However, as soon the Queen recommences the pleasures of "being alive" (as someone says), rumors of an affair begins to scandalize British society and a crisis in the Monarchy seems inevitable.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:17 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi Wiix,

you totally made my day. When you mentioned watching a movie I decided I should stop watching the live feed (two weeks free) of Big Brother and watch Crash which I have here from Netflix.

Have you seen Crash? Boy, to me it was startlingly good.

I love the thing you wrote about Mrs. Brown. I saw that movie on telly some time ago and just loved it. I really like Judy Dench. Did you ever watch that sit com she was in... I forget the name of it. She's soooo good.

Coco Butter? hmmm. I remember as a kid after I had chicken pox and my mother was pretty sure I was ruined for life because I had a scar on my face, she wanted me to rub coco butter on it every day. She was sure I could get rid of the scar.

I don't know if I didn't believe it, or if I didn't see results quickly enough, or if I didn't find the scar very noticeable... but I didn't keep at it. (Perhpas that's why I've never married.) LOL

Your basket of lotions sounds wonderful.

That's interesting about how you treat your heels.

I was rubbing aloe on my arms and then rubbing in olive oil... only then this court stuff got overwhelming and now ... well, not so much.

Thank you sooo much for writing to me and inspiring me to watch a movie instead of plugging away at the appeal all holiday.

As an aside the chat room at the Big Brother feeds had some really nice women in it.

I hope I can go to sleep in another hour or so....

I hope you have a great week. (((((((Wiix)))))))
Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 AM #10
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi karen

I have copied your first post here to Doc's sticky thread on forum feedback for new forum requests, and moved the rest of this thread here to social as it has become more of such a discussion now

here is the link to the forum requests thread where your first post now is
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=2849

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote