Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Help Please!!

Im feeling such disppear right now! I have 2 questions

Can muscle relaxers cause a rebound effect in which the muscles actually get tighter after they ware off? I took Roboxin last night and as soon as it started wearing off my muscles got soooo tight and my whole leg is a mess right now!!

Also- I had a hip replacement which caused my RSD to go wild but it never effected the new hip area 2003- Now all of the sudden I have heavy pins and needles in that area and its driving me nuts!

Im just so sad- cant deal anymore

Debbie
debbiehub is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-08-2008, 05:46 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Deb, sorry to hear your down in the dumps right now. I noticed that when the muscle relaxers wear off the pain causes me to tense up. I have to actually make myself unclench the muscles.

Sometimes I dont even realize im that tight.

I dont think it is rebound as much as your body getting tense after the effects wear off. But then again im not a doctor lol. You might ask your doc next time your there about. Let us know what the doc says, probably lots of others here with similar problem.

Gone Squatchin
allentgamer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default TY

Thanks for your advice- Sometimes I dont know if symptoms are RSD or something else!! I hate this

Deb
Old 01-10-2008, 02:37 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hugs to you Deb...I'll be sayin prayers, I don't have any answers for you, but I can offer my hugs n prayers to you always.

Debbie
gigglebabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default aww..

Hi Debbie.. I have been told by a doc that baclofen can sometimes have reverse effect on some people.. if that helps at all..
hugz hon,
Sandra
Sandel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Friend, muscles tightening

Hi Deb, unfortunately, RSD causes increased muscle tone, I kow it seems it would be the reverse but it is not. this is partly because of the atrophy of your muscles. Keep moving and try to keep as much flexiblity as you can. When you are using the muscle relaxants try to gently inrease you rrange of motion, and your flexibility. Hope this helps my good friend. CZ Your are in my prayers.
CZZ74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:35 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hi Debbie,

Sorry to hear you are going through so much pain.

I get the pins and needles from my feet to my thighs. I still haven't figured what is causing it. Maybe we will both get some answers here.

Hope you start seeing some painfree days.

Ada
dreambeliever128 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:31 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Help Please

Dear Debbie,
I'm so sorry you are in such despair over RSD. It's a challege to keep physcially and emotionally healthly. Monthly, I see my (pschchiatrist, neurologist, pharmachologist) Recently we made a change from neurotin to Lyrica. Lyrica works much better for me-so good I was able to drop two Vicodin from my daily dosage. The Lyrica , for me, helped drop the burning pain level. For me listening to calm music helps so much, even the 50's music that makes us happy. journaling for me is very helpful. Also keeping in touch with good friends from the past by phone or letter writing is wonderful. Calling friends on the phone, asking others in a positive way how they are doing. I have to force myself out of the house now. I want to just stay home, but I know it is not healthy for me. I'm trying to exercise a little every day. I'm so discouraged with all the weight I have gained in the last few years- 60 + lbs.
It affects my self esteem, confidence, so much about how I feel about how I look and feel about myself.This forum is a wonderful way to give and find encouragement and knowledge of helpful points we all can use. Let's not give up, but keep positive and be grateful for what we can do and concentrate on what we can give to others. We trust that when we have our depressing times, other will be there for us and believe their truthful efforts to help us. Please,let's all try to encourage all that suffer from the losses we face in life. Sincerely, loretta jewell
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:59 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default TY

Thanks so much for all of your kind words and advice. The pins and needles went away so I dont think they had anything to do with the RSD- Since most pains usually stay I can see how we all can jump to RSD conclusions so fast. I have not had that rebound feeling with the Roboxin so that was good too.

I went to a new neuro and she didnt believe I have RSD b/c she couldnt see anything = I was sooo frustrated with her I just couldnt take it. When I told her my RSD spread after my hip replacement she kind of rolled her eyes like it doesnt spread like that!! I could go on but I am not going to relive it. I am staying with my old neuro...

I am really trying hard to create new pathways in my brain- using visual imagery and extreme distractions to my pain. There is a whole science to this- Retraining the brain kind of thing- I also bought a natual seratonin that I am going to try because I cant tolerate the SSRIs

So thats my story for today- could change tomorrow-lol

Deb
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sandel (01-13-2008)
Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Retraining our brains.....creating new pathways.....same thing? yes

The part of your last post about "creating new pathways in yoru brain & there being a whole science to it", statement sorta intrigued me & made me remember that my Pain Management doctor wants me to buy & read "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge MD. He feels that I would be an excellent person to read & do as this book suggests. When he first suggested this is when our grandson Ron died in the DUI Hit & Run accident last Oct. I had just looked the book up when that nightmare phone call happened infact. And had decided to buy it after it went out in paperback as it was alot cheaper then. Anyway, you can buy it thru Amazon.com. Maybe that book would be helpful to you in retraining your brain pain pathways. Cause that is what this book does is help us to learn how to do this. I have still to buy the book. We are super super broke it seems, even tho we both quit smoking. All our extra money goes into our damn gas tank...... I can't figure out how we could afford to smoke before........geeze..........

Good Luck Deb,
DebbyV
Debby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote