Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 11:37 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Help Any experimental pain treatments?

Hi
Just wondering as my pain is non responsive to the conventional meds, has anyone heard of any other treatments. I know of the spinal stimulator etc but what else is out there? Would anyone consider trying experimental treatment I guess is my question???

Hx
Horizontal One is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 AM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Other methods - {lets make a list of all we can think of}

Pain Pump

Injections- for trigger points or specific muscle/areas
Botox
Marcaine, novacaine, etc

Hypnosis?

Acupuncture?

Therapeutic /medical magnets
- I did see help with minor RSI pain from these and they do have mattress pads and such. Coworkers asked me to get some for them also.
I was wearing magnetic bracelets & necklace while I was working, but when it started becoming TOS those were too heavy and irritating at the time.
I did consider getting the mattress pad early on but ended up needing to replace our old waterbed mattress. We got a 80% waveless waterbed mattress w/lumbar support and a memory foam topper instead.

Low level laser
- not an instant fix but over time and with repeated sessions may reduce overall pain levels and can reduce trigger points and specific pain spots. Works at the cellular level also- blood, oxygen & nutrient flow.
more links about this in our sticky #1

Near/Far infrared -
Lights, heating pads, special mattress toppers etc
more links about this in our sticky #1

Last edited by Jomar; 03-24-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Jomar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Horizontal One (03-24-2008)
Old 03-24-2008, 02:55 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

THanks Jo55

Some of these have tried other will have to read up on. Re the magnetic bracelets, I find them too heavy for my wrists.

Oh well, will plod on (as have been) be stubborn and try to keep laughing.
Take care
Hx
Horizontal One is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (03-24-2008)
Old 03-24-2008, 03:13 PM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I forgot to add Interferential {IF / INF } stimulation
similar to a TENS but differing frequency and depth of action/affect {deeper into muscle & cells}

It really can feel like a massage at the right settings.
My daughter also had some treatments with a similar type of electric stim {a neuro stim?- I should have got the name off of it}
she said it helped her muscle aches & pain too.

she didn't like my EMS stim though and it is pretty wimpy compared to the pro models that PTs & chiro use. I should have got a rx from my chiro and bought the little IF stim- only costs a bit more, but do need the Rx.

[Interferential current therapy (IFC): This type of stimulation is characterized by the crossing of two electrical medium, independent frequencies that work together to effectively stimulate large impulse fibers. These frequencies interfere with the transmission of pain messages at the spinal cord level. Because of the frequency, the Interferential wave meets low impedance when crossing the skin to enter the underlying tissue. This deep tissue penetration can be adjusted to stimulate parasympathetic nerve fibers for increased blood flow. Interferential Stimulation differs from TENS because it allows a deeper penetration of the tissue with more comfort (compliance) and increased circulation.

Interferential current therapy is essentially a deeper form of TENS. In essence, IFC modulates a high frequency (4000 Hz) carrier waveform with the same signal produced by a TENS unit. The high frequency carrier waveform penetrates the skin more deeply than a regular TENS unit, with less user discomfort for a given level of stimulation. Deep in the tissues, the carrier waveform is cancelled out, resulting in a TENS-like signal deep under the skin.
]
http://www.healiohealth.com/tek9.asp...cific=jnnrmmm8

more-
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...l+stim&spell=1
Old 03-24-2008, 03:35 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default just a suggestion

I don't know if medicinal marijuana is legal where you live, but here you can see an M.D. who is a Medical Cannabis Evaluator.

He examines you and decides if the physical problem that you have would be helped by Medicinal marijuana.

You than get an official letter with an embossed stamp.
You take the letter to special 'stores' and buy the marijuana type that will help your medical condition(there are many different types)

It is very effective for pain,sleep,etc. They also make edible that work well such as cookies and brownies.
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You make it sound so easy OCGirl. Even in Canada where the drug laws are so much more lax where marijuana is concerned it is next to impossible to recieve that little slip of paper.
But then again when most of the people you know grow their own it is not all that hard to get. And, you only get a fine if you have less than an ounce.
trixlynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default my experience was easy

I explained exactly the procedure that I went through to get my certificate.

If I made it sound easy, that is because it was very easy. Where I live these are the laws and it is easy if the evaluator finds that your medical problem would respond to medicinal mj.

The doctor makes a recommendation but does not prescribe it. They refer you to stores that sell it over the counter freely if you have the doctor's certificate.

Nerve pain responds well to cannabis.There are many different types of marijuana that can help you with sleep, pain etc.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3376

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=5441

According to the prestigious European medical journal, The Lancet, "The smoking of cannabis, even long-term, is not harmful to health. ... It would be reasonable to judge cannabis as less of a threat ... than alcohol or tobacco."
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:28 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The process is similar here. The only additional item being the certificate is adjudicated by a court on a Dr.'s recomendation. My Dr. said he doesn't think there are more than 150 people in Canada who have a prescription for medicinal mj. It is that hard to prove need. I know how well nerve pain responds to it. It is useful in so many other ways, not just pain. After chemo nausea as just an example.
trixlynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:56 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Titanium bracelets and necklaces (all the sports stars wear them) are supposed to work like the magnets, but are much lighter and have a soft covering.

I can't say that I've seen a difference yet, but they can't hurt
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote