Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 07:12 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused What should I do now?

Hows it going everybody. First off let me tell you about whats going on with me. I am currently in the US Army and I have 3herniated discs and 1 reptured disc. After 9months of PT and pain management my surgeon finially talked me into getting a laminectomy on my l-4 l-5 l5-s1 region. Everything went ok for about 8days then everything went wrong. I had a late CFS leak as my surgeon called it. I was leaking spinal fluid out of my ears the day of the surgery and he told me nothing was wrong its normal. Well 8 days later I have a major leak, and i mean major. Evidentatly from what he told me a piece of bone was left behind and some how managed to "cut" my spinal cord inside my back needless to say I was having horrible migrains and was having to change the bandage every 10min because it was soaking through. Finially after my surgeon decided I was telling the truth about how serious it was he asked me to come into his office. When he took off the bandage his face turned white and he mumbled under his breath....wow... I was then rushed to the hospital and had emergency surgery that same day within 3hours of seeing him actually. He repaired my spinal cord and now my pain is back in my leg and my back. I tell him about it repeatedly(its been 2months since the last surgery) but he kinda just blows it off and says PT will make it better. Its not basically what im wondering is what do I do from here? Ive had to walk with a cane for the last 7months because my leg and foot is numb on my left side and I fall alot. My numbness was gone for those 8days before my 2nd surgery. Im just wondering if anyone knows what I can do to make this pain stop and basically to get my doctor to admit to me something went wrong. Im tired of hearing it will get better by physical therapy. Its not working. Please feel free to comment on what you would do if in this situation im just lost and dont know what or where to do or go next. Please help. Thanks, Spc. Ross Keim p.s. Im only 19years old.
rangerkeim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-30-2008, 11:24 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would get a second opinion...I would also ask for a new MRI to see what is going on with your spine...Know too that many laminectomies fail....I had a laminectomy and within six weeks all of the pre-surgical pain came back...I have since had a six level fusion...If you were in the private sector and lived near me, I would send you to the best surgeon in the world...Dr. Fabien Bitan in NYC...I think you probably will need a fusion...not the end of the world..It will probably provide the pain relief you need...

8/17/05 - Cervical Fusion - C4-5, 5-6, 6-7 - Anterior and Posterior Fusion with plate in front and rods and screws in the rear - Corpectomy at C-4 and C-5 and microdisectomy at C6-7.

1/4/05 - Lumbar Laminectomy -L3, L4, L5, S1, S2 Obliteration of Tarlov Cyst at S2. Failed surgery!
GJZH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJZH View Post
I would get a second opinion...I would also ask for a new MRI to see what is going on with your spine...Know too that many laminectomies fail....I had a laminectomy and within six weeks all of the pre-surgical pain came back...I have since had a six level fusion...If you were in the private sector and lived near me, I would send you to the best surgeon in the world...Dr. Fabien Bitan in NYC...I think you probably will need a fusion...not the end of the world..It will probably provide the pain relief you need...
I am actually stationed at fort drum ny, about 2-3hrs away from the city, i think tricare might pay for it but would have to find out.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:32 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If you can get to Lenox Hill Hospital...see Dr. Fabian Bitan...He does ADR...and minimally invasive surgeries...He is the absolute best in NYC...He ran the ADR trials for the East Coast....If you did not have the laminectomy he could possibly do an ADR, but I think that is out now...I wish you the best of luck...Dr. Bitan is French by the way and is well trained. He has done two fellowships in France and two in the US ...He is chief of surgery at Lenox Hill...You will like him...He has a lot of compassion for spinal patients...He is listed as a top doc in the Castle/Connolly directory...and in the NY directory...Please make an appt to see him...He did my lumbar fusion...Most surgeons will not do above a three level fusion...You need to see a NYC doc for that...Good luck!

http://www.bitanmd.com/

Edited to say too...I just read how old you are kiddo...You are just to young for this much pain ....Get into the city to see Dr. Bitan and get away from the docs you are seeing now...Call Dr. Bitan's office and tell them you are in the Army and your whole story...or post it on his web site...I would hope they would tell you to come in to see him...He is very compassionate...

Go very, very slow with the PT....Most spinal surgeons tell you to do nothing more than walk after surgery....What do they have you doing in PT? I would take it easy and if it hurts...DO NOT DO IT! I have never had any kind of PT after any of my lumbar surgeries...I did after the cervical fusion, but that was to help with ROM...and that was very minimal exercises...Take it easy...

8/17/05 - Cervical Fusion - C4-5, 5-6, 6-7 - Anterior and Posterior Fusion with plate in front and rods and screws in the rear - Corpectomy at C-4 and C-5 and microdisectomy at C6-7.

1/4/05 - Lumbar Laminectomy -L3, L4, L5, S1, S2 Obliteration of Tarlov Cyst at S2. Failed surgery!

Last edited by GJZH; 03-31-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:45 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Military/Tricare

It can be difficult being Active Duty Army, and hearing about recommendations outside of the Army's medical system, as we go where the Army tells us to. Believe me, I know, I am a Medic that was assigned to a major Army hospital. One way you might be able to see an outsider, is to get the PAO (Patient Advocate Office) to intervene, and they could possibly work with Managed Care to get you to the outside Doctor, but then again through Army Regulations, we go where they say.

Have you been offered or have you considered a MEB (Medical Evaluation Board) per AR 40-501?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

ArmyMedic,

I thought that might be the way it is...I hope he can have someone intervene for him ....since it seems as though he is not getting the best of care...and let's face it...Our military deserves the very, very best!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

How is it going? Have you determined if you are able to go to a private doctor for care?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:48 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What a nightmare....

Hi,

I will make my suggestion quick because I am sure you just want answers. I do agree strongly with one of the other posters, Fabian Bitan, MD Lenox Hill Hosp, NYC I believe around 77rd near Lexington Ave, I here he is fantastic extremely well trained, great results I will post the site. I am a fan of the Hospital for Special Surgery but be carefull who you go to. I had a great result from working with HSS doctors, but it was not my spine.
www.lenoxhillhospital.org = Lenox Hill Hospital
www.hss.edu = Hospital for Special Surgery

Good Luck

Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerkeim View Post
Hows it going everybody. First off let me tell you about whats going on with me. I am currently in the US Army and I have 3herniated discs and 1 reptured disc. After 9months of PT and pain management my surgeon finially talked me into getting a laminectomy on my l-4 l-5 l5-s1 region. Everything went ok for about 8days then everything went wrong. I had a late CFS leak as my surgeon called it. I was leaking spinal fluid out of my ears the day of the surgery and he told me nothing was wrong its normal. Well 8 days later I have a major leak, and i mean major. Evidentatly from what he told me a piece of bone was left behind and some how managed to "cut" my spinal cord inside my back needless to say I was having horrible migrains and was having to change the bandage every 10min because it was soaking through. Finially after my surgeon decided I was telling the truth about how serious it was he asked me to come into his office. When he took off the bandage his face turned white and he mumbled under his breath....wow... I was then rushed to the hospital and had emergency surgery that same day within 3hours of seeing him actually. He repaired my spinal cord and now my pain is back in my leg and my back. I tell him about it repeatedly(its been 2months since the last surgery) but he kinda just blows it off and says PT will make it better. Its not basically what im wondering is what do I do from here? Ive had to walk with a cane for the last 7months because my leg and foot is numb on my left side and I fall alot. My numbness was gone for those 8days before my 2nd surgery. Im just wondering if anyone knows what I can do to make this pain stop and basically to get my doctor to admit to me something went wrong. Im tired of hearing it will get better by physical therapy. Its not working. Please feel free to comment on what you would do if in this situation im just lost and dont know what or where to do or go next. Please help. Thanks, Spc. Ross Keim p.s. Im only 19years old.
AnnBon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:06 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Update

Well heres whats going on I started my MEB (med eval board) and since I did all treatment stops expect for basic pain managemnt and physical therapy and what not. I am on 4hour work days for a indefinitate period of time im not aloud to do army pt and my life is boring lol. The doc wants to start pain injections again in 4weeks may 10th or so but we dont know if the army will approve it. I know what your thinking right now and let me tell you what they told me. If i get some new treatments and magically get better, good enough to do army stuff anyway then they would have waisted there time starting my va claim and what not, so i will have to wait 6months-1year before im out of the army and before i have my new retired military benefits before I can get any new invasive procedures. ya, its messed up. Well thank you all for your concern and support but looks like its up to the army where i can go from here. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:19 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am so sorry to hear this...This is really too bad...but remember...If it hurts do not do it or you will make your spine worse....Just bide your time until you get out...You are just too young to live with a life time of pain....I saw one of my docs just last week and they asked me how I get up every day knowing that I will have pain...and some days are worse than others...so just keep that in mind...You are a lot younger than me....Hang in there...A year goes by faster than you think...and then get your private evaluation by Dr. Bitan....Keep posting and talk to people on the forums...they will help to keep your spirits up...

I will send you a private message....