advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Red face Questions about seeing a Urologist...

Hi folks! Loooooong time, no see. I hope you're all doing well! I've got some questions about an upcoming doctor's visit that I hope someone can help me with.

For about 4 months, I've had some occasional bladder/urethra pain, with a very occasional urine leakage. It was usually a very, very small amount and only happened when my bladder was very full and I waited too long to get to a restroom (and that usually happened b/c of numbness that I've been having off and on for about 6 months or so). I saw my neuro back in June...discussed it with him...upped my neurontin back to 900 mg every night...urinalysis normal...MRI *still* normal & not showing lesions.

The increased neurontin dosage helped with the numbness and pain for the most part. However, , the leakage has increased in frequency. Now, I don't have to have a full bladder to have leakage, but I haven't lost full control...just leakage. So, I called the neuro's office last week, and when the nurse called me back, it was with a referral to a urologist.

What can I expect? Does anyone know if this sort of problem calls for any *invasive* procedure done? If so, should I be expecting it that day? Please, share anything you can if you've been through this and gone to a urologist! Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

12/05: MS Dx ~~ 1/06-5/06: Avonex ~~ 8/06-9/06: Copaxone ~~ 12/06: Betaseron ~~ 1/07: No DMDs For Now
jowen214 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 PM #2
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowen214 View Post
Hi folks! Loooooong time, no see. I hope you're all doing well! I've got some questions about an upcoming doctor's visit that I hope someone can help me with.

For about 4 months, I've had some occasional bladder/urethra pain, with a very occasional urine leakage. It was usually a very, very small amount and only happened when my bladder was very full and I waited too long to get to a restroom (and that usually happened b/c of numbness that I've been having off and on for about 6 months or so). I saw my neuro back in June...discussed it with him...upped my neurontin back to 900 mg every night...urinalysis normal...MRI *still* normal & not showing lesions.

The increased neurontin dosage helped with the numbness and pain for the most part. However, , the leakage has increased in frequency. Now, I don't have to have a full bladder to have leakage, but I haven't lost full control...just leakage. So, I called the neuro's office last week, and when the nurse called me back, it was with a referral to a urologist.

What can I expect? Does anyone know if this sort of problem calls for any *invasive* procedure done? If so, should I be expecting it that day? Please, share anything you can if you've been through this and gone to a urologist! Thanks in advance!

Jennifer
Hi Jenn

Nice to see you!

When I had a referral to the urologist when i was first dx'd and had a bladder problems, I had an ultrasound. He scheduled it same day as my appt with him. It's non-invasive and took about 20 minutes.

I know there are other tests that are more comprehensive, but the ultrasound showed nothing so there was no need to do anything else.

Have you had a UA done to see if you have a low grade UTI done? That can cause problems as well.

I hope the visit with the urologist goes well. Bladder problems are no joking matter.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've been here and there.... no where! LOL!!! Other than that occasional bladder thing, I've been feeling pretty good, so I just kinda gradually drifted away from the MS boards. I've been really busy with a project to send cards to St. Jude here in Memphis (we had 7,500+ sent in!); I've been carting DD all over the place this summer; now, we're getting ready to go on vacation. Can't wait to get down to Perdido Key, Fl.!!!

LMAO about being sure it's really leakage!!! I see you're still you're fun, silly self. That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
Where the heck you been, woman? With the humidity in MS, how can you be sure it's leakage? Might not be your fault at all!

Good to see you posting. Sorry I can't offer any pearls of wisdom, just hugs!

12/05: MS Dx ~~ 1/06-5/06: Avonex ~~ 8/06-9/06: Copaxone ~~ 12/06: Betaseron ~~ 1/07: No DMDs For Now
Old 07-17-2008, 11:19 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had a UA done when I was at my neuro's office in June. Also had it done a few months ago at my OB-GYN. Both normal.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm crossing fingers and toes that there will be NO invasive anything at any time!!!!

Hope you're doing well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rgirl View Post
Hi Jenn

Nice to see you!

When I had a referral to the urologist when i was first dx'd had a bladder problems, I had an ultrasound. He scheduled it same day as my appt with him. It's non-invasive and took about 20 minutes.

I know there are other tests that are more comprehensive, but the ultrasound showed nothing so there was no need to do anything else.

Have you had a UA done to see if you have a low grade UTI done? That can cause problems as well.

I hope the visit with the urologist goes well. Bladder problems are no joking matter.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I got caught!

I had the impression that maybe I said the wrong thing, so deleted my post!

You caught me. Glad you didn't take offense.

Sounds like your DD is keeping you busy. Florida sounds wonderful! Enjoy your summer, Jennifer. Hope to see you around more, but know its much more important to enjoy your family.

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:13 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Jenn,

I am a bit neurotic about finding solutions to problems, and when I was having bladder issues I asked for both a bladder and renal ultrasound (very simple), and then a urodynamics evaluation (which, unlike what most people seem to think, was pretty neat because it really helped in determining the cause of my bladder issue: neurogenic bladder).

The entire process (ultrasound and urodynamics test) took about 30 minutes, and it was worth every minute.

-Vic
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:42 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Jenn--missed ya!

When I was having that problem a few years back they put me on Detrol after a couple ultrasounds that really didn't confirm anything. Good thing is it worked, even better after I went off it I didn't have any more problems.

Hope you get good news and enjoy your vacation!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

i jenn. good to see you back.
i started having a lot of frequency, and leaking, especially at night.
i couldn't hold it to get to the BR. met DM in the hallways at 0400 too.

i got sent to an MS urologist. best thing i did.
thankfully i didn't have any infections. those can back up into your kidneys and just make your life miserable.

they did do a bladder US to make sure i wasn't holding too much urine after i emptied by bladder. it's a nothing test.

at another appt i was set up for urodynamics testing. there is some invasiveness to those workups but nothing hurt, only a little modesty.

i finally got put on detrol LA and i've been great. i don't leak nearly as much, havn't wet my bed and have generally been a good girl.

i wouldn't worry about the appt at all. it will be a breeze.
please keep us posted as to how you are.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
--------------------------------------
"DESIDERATA" by Max Ehrmann
NurseNancy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 AM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Jenn

When do you see the urologist?

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 PM #10
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Good to see you back on line Jenn.

I had lots of good stuff in my head to write here for you, then FG and NurseNancy beat me to it, so what they said is what I would have told you.

So much for my words of wisdom. At least I meant well.........

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tovaxin_lab_rat (07-23-2008)