advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 01:00 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Newbie would love input....

Hi. I'm new on the forum and new to PN. I have done a few posts, but I would like to explain my PN and perhaps get some input from some of the wonderful posters here.

I am a 51 year old female who just became post menopausal (one year with no period) last December. I had a horrendous menopause, and I am still experiencing symptoms of that. Anyway, at the beginning of last November, I started feeling a horrible burning in my upper back. I thought it was because I was on the computer too much. Then I started feeling some burning down one strip of my left leg. Then burning spread to the right leg. The burning was only felt from the knees down to the angles. Nothing in the feet. I went to a neurologist who took some blood work and took one MRI of my lower spine. The blood work came out normal and no nerve compression was found on my lower spine. He put me on gabapentin and that's it.

Since then, the pain has spread to my feet (mostly cramping and funny sensations), my arms, my hands, my entire back (which burns the worse), my waist, and my stomach. I have mostly sharp, stinging pains and cramps with burning. Currently, I have no numbness, weakness, or balance problems.

I am trying to see another doctor for a second opinion, as the first doctor was very difficult to talk too. I'm afraid the 1800 mg. of gabapentin is not working much. I really want another MRI done on my mid back and neck as well, as I have had back issues. Why the doctor didn't do this the first time, I don't know. I have tested negative for diabetes, but my mom was a diabetic. I also take a lot of high blood pressure medication.

Oh, I should say that my onset was very fast, within weeks. Does this sound typical? I would appreciate any input or comments. Thanks so much!
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb certain medications

deplete nutrients.

If you take blood pressure tablets?

Example
ACE inhibitors deplete zinc

Diuretics deplete alot...

potassium
sodium
MAGNESIUM
Calcium
Vit B1 Thiamine
Vit B6 pyridoxine
Vit C

Hydralazine:

MAGNESIUM
potassium
B6
zinc
CoQ-10

Either PM me with your medications or post here, and I will
look them up.
It could be you are just having low levels of some things due
to your drugs.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:18 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default While I'm not a doctor--

--given the onset and the pattern, this sounds like it's compressive to me.

Given the "clear" lower (lumbar) spine MRI, and the fact that this started in the upper back, I definitely think you need MRI of the cervical and thoracic spine. Compression of nerve roots tends to produce symptoms in specific places (known as the root's dermatome), but spinal compression itself can produce symptoms ANYWHERE from that level downwards, depending on what's being pressed on (and a competent doctor should know that--why your first doc did not set you up for a cervical MRI at least is beyond me).
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
armac (02-01-2009)
Old 01-17-2009, 12:41 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would think that an electromyography/ nerve conduction study would also be in order to check for large fiber involvement and perhaps point to or elimate the back as being the cause of your problems.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:33 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks mrsD. When stricken with neuropathy, I was taking...

Atenolol (Took for 11 years)
Hydrochorothiazide (Took for 9 years)
Benicar (Took for 5 years)
Verapamil (Took for 11 years)
Hydralazine (Took for 5 months)

I know that my potassium level has always tested normal, and my B12 was normal. I am not sure about the B6, I don't think I was tested for that. I have to request a copy of my blood work, but I was told everything was normal. I never really had any problems from the drugs that I have taken long term. Thanks again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
deplete nutrients.

If you take blood pressure tablets?

Example
ACE inhibitors deplete zinc

Diuretics deplete alot...

potassium
sodium
MAGNESIUM
Calcium
Vit B1 Thiamine
Vit B6 pyridoxine
Vit C

Hydralazine:

MAGNESIUM
potassium
B6
zinc
CoQ-10

Either PM me with your medications or post here, and I will
look them up.
It could be you are just having low levels of some things due
to your drugs.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:46 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

glenntaj, thank you for replying. I definitely need an MRI on my cervical and thoratic spine! Even if it is just to rule anything out. I was told way back in the eighties that I had some compressed vertebrates in my neck, and my mid back has been hurting me off and on through the past year.. I have asked both the neurologist and my regular family doctor to please do this, but with no luck. I have no plans to return to the neurologist. I am trying to get a second opinion now, and a new neuro. When I asked my family doctor if he would order the MRI, he said because I don't really feel pain in my arms when I bend my neck, then it can't be those areas. I surely need to get this MRI done! Thanks again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--given the onset and the pattern, this sounds like it's compressive to me.

Given the "clear" lower (lumbar) spine MRI, and the fact that this started in the upper back, I definitely think you need MRI of the cervical and thoracic spine. Compression of nerve roots tends to produce symptoms in specific places (known as the root's dermatome), but spinal compression itself can produce symptoms ANYWHERE from that level downwards, depending on what's being pressed on (and a competent doctor should know that--why your first doc did not set you up for a cervical MRI at least is beyond me).
Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you, I agree, more tests are definitely needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes long ago View Post
I would think that an electromyography/ nerve conduction study would also be in order to check for large fiber involvement and perhaps point to or elimate the back as being the cause of your problems.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:33 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb What's "normal" ?

Hope, if you were "normal" you wouldn't be here.

I guess you are not getting my point:
Here is something else to read that is longer and perhaps more
persuasive:
http://www.enotalone.com/article/4624.html

Some doctors call very low B12 levels normal, because they haven't kept up with newer protocols.

Most nutrients when tested for (if at all) do not show accurate
predictive levels. The ranges are arbitrary, and in the very low and very high readings may be helpful. But the readings are not
accurate or useful inbetween, because people vary genetically in how they handle nutrients. Some need more than others.

I would like to point out...that you would not be looking on the net if you were "normal". You are having some kind of problem that the medical arm is not helping you much.

Remember that the 4th leading cause of death in this country is misapplication of prescription drugs. There are always tradeoffs with them, some are hidden and don't appear right away.(B12 is stored in the liver for up to 5 yrs and can take that long to become depleted) The sudden ones are easier to deal with, but still tricky.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:01 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry mrsD. I guess I should have phased my post differently. It's the doctor that has brushed me off by telling me everything was normal in my tests. This is why I am going for a second opinion and a third if I have to. In the meantime, I appreciate the link and all of your knowledge.
"Thanks for this!" says:
armac (02-01-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 03:02 PM #10
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default As Mrs D said: What is 'normal'?

One of the things I have learned, is to ask for, and get copies of my bloodwork! Some of my own blood #'s started increasing when I had started other meds for other issues..... When the #'s reached the ***** asterisk point, I was gently teasing and reminding my docs about my concerns that these numbers had been rising for the last year! I then asked: Do you ONLY pay attention to the Asterisks???? ****** One doc just smiled and agreed, but, I think he respected me, after looking at his prior notes and saw that I had brought up this concern before. The other docs [many] were just silent and changed the subject. Sigh.
Full hemo testing and metabolic testing can tell YOU a lot! Such as: you are one decimal point below the dreaded "*" level that aren't calling attention to the docs? But YOU will know. For the metabolic aspects? Many supplements can and DO help relieve some aspects of the fasculations. And, maybe ease or improve other subtle areas of concern.
Have you had a full thyroid panel done? This is a very common issue with women going thru meno. The thyroid can often act up and can be helped immensely with meds. Simple, easy and resolvable. Not easily diagnosed tho because many docs don't DO the right testings....
I agree wholeheartedly with others who have posted about other tests ... what you can hope for and what a doc will DO are two different things, tho. Keep asking! I know that some PN's are thyroid issue induced. I kept asking my neuro about this? And doc said absolutely NOT! But my Ocon referred me to an Endocrinologist who DID test me for immune-related thyroid issues and ... Guess WHAT? Added it to the LIST of problems-tho not the primary issue? It didn't help any for sure. Treatment for immune-type thyroid [hypo/Hashimoto's] is no different than basic treatments, but.. if untreated it can make you even more miserable than you are now. My thyroid med dose was upped, and all is well in that quarter.
Key here is to KEEP ASKING! Ask what all is going on-about everything, & that you want to understand it all to deal with it better? That docs can work with you instead of for you.
I'm not saying that thyroid is your key problem, not by any means! But, soo much from outside the nerves themselves can cause nerve problems. You have to be your own detective, so to speak? Hope this helps.
A or two to ease your pain in the interim! I know it's horrid! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote