advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New here, hoping you all could answer some questions

Hello everyone!! I've been reading around here for a few months now (read: lurking, lol). I have recently been diagnosed with Fibro, but finally saw the neurologist on Friday. He's ordered an MRI, I'm to go on Thursday. I'm severly claustrophobic (sp??), SEVERLY, and I suffer from panic disorder...I'm really not looking forward to it. He is giving me 2mg of Xanax, plus my usual 1mg of Ativan...is this enough to make me not care that I'm in a tube?? Also, he's doing with and without contrast...have any of you had issues with the contrast? I hate meds (again, with the panic attacks). Any advise you could offer and sucess stories would be greatly appreciated!! Also, if you could all tell me how many people you've known that have had MRI's and survived without any propblems would be great too .

Thank you for your support, I can tell you all are a wonderful group of people!
HopeSprings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (02-09-2009)

advertisement
Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Use your ipod to hook into the music you love. If you do not want music, then ask the technician to talk to you inbetween sonic x-rays. I like to count, i.e. if she says this series will take 2 minutes, I count to 120 to see how close I am to being accurate.

counting has a calming effect.

have them put a mask or cloth over your eyes and think of sleeping. The meds should help you. Consider yourself in a very exclusive spa.

finally, the sounds are actually amusing. A few times, I had to refrain from laughing at the bizarre noises.

I have had the contrast as well. It is nothing at all.

rather than concentrating on the negatives - your anxiety, your claustrophobia, research relaxation techniques.
Aarcyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:52 PM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

i'm not sure if that will be enuf medicine for you but i've taken 1 mg of ativan and i'm out.

the mri will not hurt you in any way. the tech will give you directions about taking off jewlery etc. you can ask for ear buds for music if that will help you.
the sounds, even with ear plugs will be loud. for me i did a visualization of being in a forest with a running stream of water. i keep my eyes closed and think of that.

you should definitely tell the tech about your situation.
and, there are machines that are more open. you might ask your dr about them.

you will have to be very still. they do put a frame over your head to help you not move so they can get accurate films. i close my eyes so it's not a problem for me. but i'm not averse to tight places. i almost thought of it like
being warmly wrapped in the womb. but that may not be a relaxing picture for you.

anyway, sorry, i'm rambling. the techs are very good starting the iv's. the med goes in quickly, it's a small amt. you shouldn't feel anything. then they pull the iv out. and the iv needle is very small.

i think you'll be ok. remember to ask for a cd of your mri for your records when you're there. they just burn it and give it to you.

keep us posted.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
--------------------------------------
"DESIDERATA" by Max Ehrmann
NurseNancy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm not much help on the claustrophobia as I don't feel claustrophobic in the tube (although don't put me in a cave!). Having the ends open and having only my head in the "doughnut" makes me feel like I'm not "enclosed" in anything. But that's just me. They put a head thing on me that has a mirror so that all I can see is the room reflected in the mirror, which I'm sure would help with claustrophobia.

As far as the contrast, it is a tiny amount injected through a tiny needle and you barely feel it. Also, no side effects.

Like aarcyn said, I find the noises amusing as well. I play a game with myself trying to think of a song that has the same beat as the different sequences as they go through them.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:56 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

My MRI place allows me to bring my own tunes that they'll plug through a set of earphones for me. Helps take my mind off of what's going on.

I've had a panic attack once, so I've learned that -for me- my eyes need to be closed. The washcloth/mask helps with that. I haven't needed any meds yet, but heard that they can be very helpful. I take deep breaths and try to think of relaxing things - like having a margarita on a tropical beach.

The only issue I have with the contrast is that I'm a hard stick and it's IV'd. Sometimes it takes them three tries to find a good vein. But as too the med itself, haven't had any issues with it.

Hope everything goes well.

Dx'd MS 2007, Fibro 2009
FinLady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you all for the advice! Counting sounds like a good plan...and the being wrapped in the womb analogy is good too! I will research some more relaxation techniques. Being still always makes things more difficult for me.

The neuro told me that I should have my results within about 48 hours, but that is when he thought I was doing it at his facility, but my schedule didn't mesh with his facilities'...so, anyone know how long it will take to get results?

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate it!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM #7
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

even with ear plugs -
it is very noisy with vibrations, banging, clunking, grinding - or was that just the one I was in LOL

I wasn't at all prepared for the sounds & noise.

no metals in or on you is a main thing. {MRI uses a magnet}

I did best with closing my eyes and imagining a safe comfortable place.

The music the facility had was like elevator music Blahhh
I would have preferred some loud rock or country
But I might have started dancing or singing if a really good song came on
Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, I was fortunate my first time in the tube. My MRI tech was funny and we joked around most of the time which helped put my mind at ease. I would recommend you bring a blanket with you. For some reason i get cold every time I go in for one. i think it might be the contrast but other than that no problems. I was a little disappointed that my tattoo didn't explode (urban legend). Music helps a LOT! My tech let me blare the music the whole time I was in there. I would alos recommend something someone else mentioned. Get an eye mask. One of those cute little sleeping masks should do the trick. Just put it on before you lie on the table.

I am not spoiled!
legzzalot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 AM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I've had more MRIs than the senate has arguements! I am glad that I'm not claustrophibic at all. I have never had anything but wonderful staff assist me and let me know that they are on the other side of the glass and all I have to do is call out and they will do anything the can to help. I would not hesitate to have another one tomorrow if I needed it!

These are my recomendations:
Be confortable. If that means warm then I make sure I wear my socks, sleep pants and ask for a blanket.

Keep your mind busy. I bring my own music. I love the 'soundscape' type music. I can hear the tide rush in and out, or light rain. Sometimes if it is done the right way even light rumbling thunder sounds relaxing. My personal favorite is the Dino 'peace' series, but that's pretty old and hard to find. I did get tired of it the week I had about 7 MRIs in one week. He personally wrote them when he realized that peaceful music along with the sounds of nature helped his daughter relax and be pain free.

As far as the noise the machine makes. It is what it is. The ear buds really didn't help me. One time I imagined that it was all part of a video game and I was actually inside the game and part of it. It was quite amusing.

Good luck! Enjoy the meds!
doydie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you all for your suggestions! I can only hope and pray that the meds do their job! To say I'm a little nervous about this whole situation would be a gross understatement. Since MS was first mentioned three months ago, I've been in fear of this MRI. I know realistically that knowing what's causing my symptoms will be a relief, but this fear seems insurmountable.

I can't thank you all enough for your thoughts and suggestions!