advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 04:00 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Am I taking to much tramadol

Hi everyone -

I have been having a rough time the last couple of days. I'm really having allot of burning lately. I've been taking my regular supplements, my lyrica and the amitryptilene as prescribed. My RX for tramadol is 100 mg every 6 hrs as needed but it's not helping. I bumped it up to 150 mg and kept it like that for two days. Some relief but was hoping for more...so I have been taking 200 mg every 6 hrs for the last day. That is the only thing making a dent in the burning. Am I gonna OD on this stuff? I did call my doc, talked to her nurse, but they haven't call back yet and it' been 2 days.

Leslie
Leslie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-20-2009, 06:20 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Arrow

There is an interaction with amitriptyline:
http://www.rxlist.com/ultram-drug.htm

Alot would depend on your amitriptyline dose however.

I wouldn't increase without a doctor's supervision.

The interaction I found above is not on some drug checkers.

You should also contact your local pharmacist and he/she may be able to print out more for you on this subject.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Leslie (03-27-2009)
Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Leslie I am taking 150mg 5 times a day. I increased on my own because I it wasnt working. I have experienced itching the more I take. I am also taking 1200 mg of gabapentin (generic neurontin) 4 times a day my doctor says I am at the max level for gabapentin.

You will see alot of post regarding finding the right "cocktail" for the pain of neuropathy. Some people are on heavy duty stuff compared to tramadol.
Loratab, Percocet, Darvocet, Methodone etc...Hopefully your doctor will under your pain and be willing to prescribe something different. My doctor will not so I made an appointment myself with a pain management clinic.

I will contact your local pharmacy and ask the pharmicist. Be careful I know it is very difficult. All I want is a little time where I am pain free or at a pain level that I can function and not be grouchy, during these times sometimes I am not aware of how much pills I have taken and with me at the max dosage of neuron I experience short term memory so I have to write down each time I take my meds..
COLBEYMOORE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Leslie (03-27-2009)
Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Mrsd is correct. Use of the two compounds can produce Serotonin Syndrome.

Amitriptyline inhibits the metabolism of the main component of tramadol which is an SSRI. No, tramadol is NOT an antidepressant, but it contains a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, which boosts the synthetic opiate in the drug. The drug is technically an opiate agonist. The combination of the two comes up as a potential for severe interaction on the medical data base drug checker I have access to. I would consult with your physician before increasing the dose.

Amitriptyline uses the same enzymatic pathway in the liver to clear itself from the body, and it also inhibits this enzyme from clearing tramadol. More information can be found by googling Cytochrome P450.

It appears that 400mg is the dose maximum.

Serotonin Syndrome is the issue. You can have too much serotonin in your system.

Finding the right cocktail of meds for neuropathy or any painful condition should include your doc.

There is no interaction found for gabapentin and tramadol, other than the maximum dose of 400mg daily.

Tramadol is not a benign pain reliever by any means. It should be used as prescribed.

Here is another link regarding Tramadol (Ultram)

http://www.opioids.com/tramadol/index.html

I hope you are able to find something to help the pain. Please get in contact with your physician.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Leslie (03-27-2009)