advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default natural treatment?

hi all,

i'm just wondering what your thoughts are on natural remedies to depression......do you believe that they can help? i've seen so many articles saying that natural stuff doesn't work. i'm just wondering what your thoughts are.

much love,
manda
MandaC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barbo (08-17-2009)

advertisement
Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Manda,

Do you mean using something like St. John's Wort? I spoke to my doctor about this quite a few years ago and he said that it might be helpful for a mild form of depression but, he would not recommend it for a more serious depression (which I was dealing with then). He said the prescription meds are standardized so the amount is consistent and that they are far stronger than herbal remedies.

I do use light therapy during the fall and winter months and I find it does help with depression. I have to use it faithfully every morning when I wake up for about 20 minutes.

I hope you find something that helps you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaC View Post
hi all,

i'm just wondering what your thoughts are on natural remedies to depression......do you believe that they can help? i've seen so many articles saying that natural stuff doesn't work. i'm just wondering what your thoughts are.

much love,
manda
"Thanks for this!" says:
barbo (08-17-2009), who moi (08-17-2009)
Old 08-16-2009, 11:40 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

i see you live in canada too i've been debating light therapy too b/c winter is really starting to get me down (i've noticed this; as the years pass, it affects me more and more)

thanks for the input
MandaC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barbo (08-17-2009)
Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 AM #4
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

it's a double edged sword...

we usually think of supplements are being "natural" and healthy.

so there can be alot of abuse and overdosing because we think "it's" safe...

In actuality, all meds were herbs in the first place. It took quite a few hundred years to now that we have synthetic meds (but a lot of them are still herb based)

And of course, understanding the properties of herb supplements are important. Some of them have close to MAOI properties that can become dangerous if one is on SSRI drugs.

Some of them can even counter the meds that you are taking.

I am NOT against holistic/natural approaches to meds but there needs to be a lot of research and information involved.

There are various degrees of depressions. For severe and clinical, I really wouldn't recommend herbs...

herbatology believe in healing through TIME (that's the ancient way of using herbs. They believe in preventive and pro-active and duration vs instant gratifications)

modern meds are about instant gratifications (getting it to work immediately or within 2-4 weeks)

taking herbs also require supplements and good eating habits as well as taking at the right time everyday. It takes discipline for it to really work.

Herbs themselves are really supplements to what we have to intake as our foods...

In the end, I know that I didn't offer you the answers, I just think that you should proceed with caution...

for moderate to light depression, I highly recommend exercise...I know it's helped many, myself included....even if you are disabled some how..there are ways to get that sweat out....I know it can be hard, but you can do it...

alrighty, just my 35 cents of opinion...

talk to a good doctor that has knowledge and not a snob toward herbs...they ARE out there...but don't talk to a charlatan that snobs modern medicine, they are all over the place and will sell you the latest tonic for 300% markup....

look into food that you eat as well...a lot of time, they are the best medicines....

"you're entering, the

zone..."
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (08-17-2009)