View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

(((( Mariel ))))

Well said Lynn and well worth taking to heart cd.

Sally: I think that people say those sorts of things because they lack the personal experience/insight and are at a loss for something more compassionate to say. Recently, when he said something similar to me, I think that I shocked my GI surgeon by bringing it into a perspective that he could better understand.

"That may be true, but imagine yourself waking up one fine morning in pain, only to find that you have suffered a stroke and that you can no longer think or see clearly and can not feel your spastic arms & hands; much less use them.
Your career, 12+ years of education, your independance and your future plans...all down the tubes. Would it make you feel better to have someone say to you in the midst of your physical and emotional suffering, "Despite even the best efforts, everyone's body deteriorates in some way over time?"

I remain hopeful that he'll remember that the next time he feels the need to spout off that sort of "wisdom."

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cdwyer49 (08-19-2013), Lynn (08-19-2013), Natalie8 (08-20-2013), SallyC (08-19-2013)