View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
One of the best ways to gain weight is by eating more fats.

Now this means "good fats" of course. Fats 1) slow down the emptying of the stomach, so blood sugars do not spike so quickly, and 2) provide extra calories, 3), good fats, typically are in short supply in our food chain in the US. So improving them, is a benefit to the whole body.

Nuts are a good way. Olive oil, flax oil, in salads are another option. Foods like Salmon, or other fatty fish.
You will want to avoid Trans Fats of course.

I wonder if you are having "dumping syndrome" ...IdiopathicPN?
Dumping is where the stomach releases food too soon. When this happens, it is not broken down as it should be so then it would
not provide nutrients for you...hence the weight loss?
Could this be a side effect from your lung medications?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dum...ndrome/DS00715
This can happen in anyone, not just the bariatric patients.

It is something to think about. And I like Glenn's suggestions too.
Yes, i like Glenn's suggestion too. I am open to it...i will try to inquire about the cost.

I eat Mrs.D most of the good fats you mentioned except for the flax oil. I eat 3-4x salmon a week but with the cost increasing every week, i limit it now to just 2x a week. At Sam's, the price of salmon has gone up significantly for the past 2 years. I eat peanuts, walnuts, almonds and cashews for my snacks.

I am so glad you mentioned about the dumping syndrome, but when i look it up i dont manifest the symptoms except for a mild bloatedness. I think the probiotics I take helps with most of my GI problems.

My pulmonologist does not think that my lung medications nor my MAC are causing the weight loss. But who really knows.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote