View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 02:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you guys. I've been given extra time on tests which is nice, though I don't find it to particularly helpful. Usually when my brain is fried from answering questions, extra time isn't any more helpful. I do think about the injury constantly but therapy has helped in that regard.

I love this post from another thread..this more or less sums up the attitude I am trying to adopt..though its 10000X easier said than done. I have it taped to the wall in my room:

"It sounds like you are too control oriented. You will never be able to control your PCS much less any risk of future impacts. The life of the highly disciplined high achieving person is shredded by PCS. The new discipline is to learn to manage stress, activity level and risk. Life can be wonderful at a slower pace.

As I and others have said, there is no cure-all or fix for PCS. Trying to find one will drive you ragged. It is not like a broken bone or illness. The brain is an entirely unique organ that does not heal/recover like the rest of the body.

There is life without Type A behaviors.

I could say that you can't see the forest (quiet rest) for the trees (the many and various therapies). mTBI is a 'let the forest heal' rather than heal individual trees.

As far as getting back to your previous life, that is a counter-productive effort. Accept your current condition, learn to live within your current condition, and as time goes by, many parts of your old life will sneak up on you. It will be a slow process with a almost imperceptible fade back to your old life. You may have some areas of your old life that never return. That is OK. Your life will still be full.

In the mean time, you will learn life skills that will serve you and your family very well. Life is amazing when it is not driven by six packs of Five Hour Energy or other efforts to stimulate oneself through the day.

As we chase after money and bigger and better things in life, we often miss more important parts of life. Little ones are born with this slower appreciation then we train it out of them. For some of us, our PCS is a lifeline to pull us back to a life more worth living."

Be well guys. All the best.
islesftw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
poetrymom (03-31-2014)