View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 07:37 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Maybe it is different in my area. I know for ME and MANY other RSD patients in the surrounding areas, NO doctor will do an SCS. I didn't say it WASN'T an option, I know some are willing to implant them and I clearly stated above that it was recommended for me when my RSD worsened. I have a friend in the UK in Leeds with RSD who had an SCS implant. It usually is VERY difficult to find a doctor to do one though, well it is in my area. Its not something they talk about routinely as treatment option, like it seems in the US.

In terms of the pain pump, I was offered one when my RSD worsened so like the SCS, they definitely are available. PM Doc wanted me to have a trial of Baclofen and / or Ketamine to see if it helped and I even had a MRI scan on the back / head to check if there was any other problems before going ahead. It was decided though that because of my Sheurmanns and the problems with the other nerve blocks, that it wasn't wise.

Probably different with local governments but the government I am under (Rotherham) will only provide SCS as a VERY last resort on the NHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurochic View Post
Ali
Just to correct something you said, SCS implantation is, and always has been, available in the UK for CRPS. In fact if you check the relevant NICE Guidelines, you will see that it is actually the one and only NICE approved treatment for CRPS in the England and Wales (NICE doesn't apply in Scotland). There are many centres and hospitals in the UK which implant SCS devices on the NHS. The NHS is becoming increasingly keen on giving SCS devices to CRPS and other chronic pain patients as the devices supposedly improve and are seen to be more therapeutically and cost effective. I appreciate that you may not be a candidate for SCS but, interestingly, as the devices have altered over even just the last 8 years, the pattern of patients who are considered to potentially eligible has altered quite significantly.

Implanted pain pumps are not available to CRPS patients in the UK. In the UK, they are typically only considered for terminally ill patients. Baclofen pumps may be available for patients with severe refractive fixed dystonia (or other medical conditions) but would not be available otherwise. Ketamine infusions (such as are given relatively routinely now in mainland Europe and the USA) are not available in the UK. Lidocaine infusions are available in the UK but there is no clinical evidence at all for any lasting benefit from these infusions so they have to be repeated regularly.

I just don't want anyone else in the UK to have the wrong information about SCS availability.

Last edited by ali12; 05-15-2015 at 08:04 AM.
ali12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote