View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Tylenol has no anti-inflammatory value. Aspirin and ibuprophen both are anti-inflammatory and pain reducing meds. 250 of Tylenol is virtually worthless. You can get enteric aspirin that does not dissolve in the stomach. I use it.

Icing your neck is not a one time thing. You should ice for 15 on, 30 off, 15 on 30 off for the evening. The subtle neck injury common to concussions often does not have any direct symptoms. Often there will be no pain or stiffness. But, headaches may radiate from behind the ears. The problem is the inflammation that interrupts good blood flow and nerve conduction. This is at its worst when sleeping or relaxing with poor posture.

If you have a headache, ice your neck, not your head. The tender spot where you made contact is of no concern. The nerves in the skin over the skull take a long time to heal. Don't gauge your recovery by how that spot feels.

Go ahead and get back to life. Just take things slower. Don't let a boss or customer push you to work faster. That stress is not good.

Personally, I would not go snowmobiling yet. A helmet puts a lot of strain on the neck. Horsing a snowmobile around can also be straining. Then, there is the risk of an accident. I know too many snowmobilers how have suffered bad concussions.

It a PT is willing to treat you, all you want is gentle traction and mobilization and maybe some trigger point/myofacial release to help the muscles relax so the C-0 to C-2 joints can settle down. Most PTs will want you turning your head as far as possible to chart range of motion. Some very gentle strengthening exercises without motion may be good. This is too early to be pushing things.

Don't wait for your insurance to recommend a concussion clinic. Find one and ask them if they accept your insurance.

The school league is making a big mistake by only using a trainer for concussions. The trainer may have had a weekend course put on by ImPACT or such but it not qualified to really assess a concussion. There is usually a concussion clinic that the trainer refers to for the more serious concussions.

Tell me where you are and I will do the research to find a concussion clinic.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote