View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Okay, Judy, let's see.

For me it started at 19, possibly earlier, but that's our mark. I had a six-week hospitalization due to dehydration from intense vertigo and the fact that I had somehow become depressed and mentally ill overnight.

Life went on well until 28 when my right pinky tip went numb. By 30 it had spread to more of my hand, but life continued. By 32 I was diagnosed and in a major exacerbation that lasted 22 months and basically ended my career.

At 35 I got my manual wheelchair for long distances. At 39 it was the scooter because I could no longer propel the chair. Last fall, at 43, my neuro said she thinks we're looking at SPMS and it's time to be fitted and prequalified for a power chair. I didn't go because my mind isn't ready for a power chair.

I'm 44, almost 45 now and have a fleet of wheels, 2 scooters, 2 rollators, the manual, and lots of rolling desk chairs.

I had been on Beta for almost 4 years but couldn't handle the mental side effects so interferons were nixed. Then Copaxone which I just quit July 1 because I am convinced that it has done nothing in these last 5 years as I have been in a steady progression the entire time. My neuro is now exploring the chemos, LDN, and Tysabri for me and we will make a new plan in October. Right now, I just need a break from all this.

I still drive (thankfully, it's my left leg that's dead weight), and I do almost everything I want, just differently and a lot more slowly.

Hope I got everything!

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote