View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
In this particular case, I presented a simple idea to a group with an open invitation for all to participate in observing a trivial, potentially ongoing event. The idea was welcomed with open arms. Quite to my surprise, the individual, "Damian", found a perceived injustice in a simple idea and proceeded to create an entirely unrelated frenzy among the group, thus, putting a negative spin on, and very much changing what was meant to be a very positive, uplifting, and fun experience for everyone.

While I am saddened by the destruction of its simplicity, I am completely fascinated by the interaction surrounding it.
I was so confused about how to quote on the forum now. I tried the "multi-quote" icon, and the system did nothing. Then when I hit "reply", it brought up the quote . . . I hate change.

I don't know the scenario, how Damien led it astray, whether he was really negative (or this is the perception of linear thinking), if you are just looking to vent, or if you are really curious about an answer to your "fascination"? I'll just have to assume you are just brainstorming, and I'll just throw some concepts out there to see if it might help explain things.

While some people like to look at everything in simplistic terms (because it keeps their thinking clean and simple), others are more analytical/big picture thinkers. While one might find the analytical thinkers frustrating, an analytical person also finds the other approach maddening.

I have managed many projects, and as frustrating as the more analytical people can be, I've learned to LISTEN between the lines. Sometimes it means ignoring 1/2 of what they say, but inevitably they have a very vital point that must be considered if the project is going to be successful.

I am more the analytical type. I remember sitting in a meeting with 16 other people, for 3 days, while we tried to find a fix to a problem. We spun our wheels at nauseum, because no one (including myself) was able to pinpoint the true obstacle.

I went back to my hotel room and sat up most of the night analyzing all the angles. At 3:00 am, the light bulb went on, and I returned with the answer in the morning. The other 16 people could not even wrap their heads around what I discovered the "problem" to be, let alone the fix, and basically blew me off.

I let them continue debating for a couple of hours, then stood up and asked "what are the reasons that my proposal going to work?". They asked me to explain it to them again, and I did. Sixteen lightbulbs went on, and we were THEN able to carry on with the project from there.

Most people think TOO linear, IMHO, and that's why things that NEED changing never get PROPERLY resolved. The "abstract thinking" needs to be considered (even if it is just going to lead to a better understanding), in order to ultimately FIX the problem. Anything else is just a bandaid.

Cherie