View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 01:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
And I will post links when I have them but much of what I post comes from journals so is not that succinctly published and "Understanding MS" was edited in length considerably by me and contains very few original intact sentences. Nothing for which I took credit for.
Cherie, it appears you copied this material, exactly (including spelling errors), from the mult-sclerosis website. That is Paul Jones' website. Your copy DOES contain "original intact sentences" since it is copied EXACTLY, save for your inability to copy the graphs and diagrams he has.

See: http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/whatisms.html

Cherie I understand you are a professional as you made clear in your PM to me outlining your extensive background. This website (BT2) could get into big trouble and you could be fined heavily for copying & pasting someone else's material and then claiming you somehow changed it so that "few original intact sentences" remain when this is simply not true. You copied the text as it was, Paul Jones' work, then gave an inaccurate source when asked to give credit to the original author who worked hard to compile and write this information. You then claimed you somehow altered the original to a point where it was your own. It looks to me that you copied it exactly from his work and you didn't change it but tried to take the credit for his work.

I think Paul Jones deserves the credit for writing what he did and it is very important to give a link to your source and acknowledge his authorship. I don't even think you're allowed to copy such a large segment of someone else's work, but that's for you to determine.

This is just a really good example of why it is important to know your source, to provide it (even if it is just a journal publication citation), and to make sure you don't take credit for someone else's hard work. Paul Jones has given so much of himself to the MS community, he deserves recognition for his work and not someone passing it off as their own.
wannabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote