Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor H View Post
Cherie,

Here is what drove me to this topic, and it was not so much how much I have to pay for insurance: I have two very wealthy clients, one of which takes everything available to him from the government, while the other refuses any of these additional dollars and services. They both had a long discussion over this issue when we were all having dinner, and the system "abuser" called me an idiot for not utilizing the governmental services, while the other client told me to do what my heart tells me to do.

I wonder how many would take the assistance even though they are sound financially?

-Vic
I am SO glad I went back and re read some of this.

My sister is one of those who is completely healthy and yet is the first in line at the MD office seeking pills, and paperwork for benefits. Her child has not lived with her in years, but she still collects food stamps/medicaid benefits in his name! Her ex who has custody refuses to turn her in. I personally have called and spoken to the head of the office in her county, only to be told that she keeps presenting the right paperwork, and therefore it handcuffs them to be able to do any action other than give her the benefits. She lies as easily as she breathes. She gets heat/cooling assistance, medical assitance, rental assistance, free dental/ free medical, and so on. Salvation army type places keep giving her free furniture, and gas cards to suppliment her need to ride to an MD office. I am constantly astounded at how many services she makes use of. SHE LIES to get them. She falsifies paperwork, and thinks nothing of presenting false information.

SHE MAKES ME EXTREMELY ANGRY! I stand with paper work in my hand for a free cooling vest, which I really need and cannot afford, and all I need to do is LIE about a tiny bit of my income. I am BARELY above the level of need. I CANT DO IT! No matter how hard I try, i simply cannot/willnot lie to receive this item. NO ONE would check my work, NO ONE would call and verify income. its all done on the trust, or honor system.

So, two sisters, VERY different. She feels entitled to and worthy of ALL social services, and DEMANDS that they be presented. She has been told by many MDs that she is a drug addicted, hypochondriac, and to not come back to their office. She simply moves onto the next one without a trace of guilt. I have MS and a couple of other dx after surviving devestating breast cancer. I am truly sick, and have true needs that are not being met, because I am not qualified for the financial aid, and yet, I just cannot/will not bring myself to lie. I would rather do without it.

Thanks for such a great topic Vic.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Becca44 (07-21-2008), SallyC (07-16-2008)