View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default topical dental anesthetics

Hi Jayelene,

Glad to hear that you are getting use to your dentures and finally able to start eating again!

We don't realize how much we have to chew to eat any type of sandwich until our chewing abilities are diminished. Eventually, we figure out what we can and can't eat comfortably and we learn to improvise, just as you have done!

The use of topical dental anesthetics to reduce the pain of denture sores can be very helpful during the initial healing phase and also when trying to get use to a new set of dentures.

However, a word of caution about using these topical treatments......... anyone who has ever experienced an unpleasant side effect such as rapid heartrate, elevated blood pressure, jitteriness or uncontrollable shaking when they were given a shot of novocaine by their denitst, should not use these topical products or at best use them very cautiously. The lidocaine in these products is the same ingredient that is in (some of) the novocaine used to numb the teeth and gums during a dental procedure. It is similar to epinephrine and can cause an erratic heart beat/elevated blood pressure in those people who are sensitive to it. Also, lidocaine is contraindicative with people who are on certain types of medications.

I know we all tend to think since the product can be purchased over the counter, it must be relatively safe. Unfortunately, it is not the case in most medicaments that are sold OTC and it is always a good idea to check with your dr or dentist before using them........ just to be on the safe side.

Perhaps those reading your post can ask their dr and if they get the go ahead to use it....... it may be just what they need to be more comfortable!!

Thanks for your input........... glad you are on your way to smiling again!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayelen View Post
I also wanted to mention something that helped me immensely and am still using - it is a product called Benzodent - it is a paste that I put on my dentures - just spread it on there in a thin layer. It has the highest strenght of lidocain that can be obtained over-the-counter - much better than orajel and withouth that nasty taste. It can be a pain to get off your gums when cleaning your teeth and gums, but well worth it., It completely numbs the sore spots for a good long time - like 4 hours or so. I dont think I could have gone through this without it. I have found that the only place in my area that carries it is Walmart - could not find it at CVS or Walgreens - Also found an on-line pharmacy that sells it- cant think of the name of it offhand though, but if you did a search for Benzodent you would find it im sure.

Good luck again hehe
Tina
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote