View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 03:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sal, So sorry to hear about your problems and fears of living alone. I must admit, I'm really afraid of this too.

I'm even more afraid of progressing and having to live in a nursing home etc.

I've had a few bad falls lately which have gotten me thinking about safety issues and long term planning.

We are about to do a major renovation on our bathroom which will have a walk in shower with built in bench, hand shower, elevated commode, and about 10 decorative grab bars which can double for towel racks etc. Not cheap at all but something I really need. On days when my legs are tired and wobbly, I'm just scared to death of our old bathtub etc.

Last year we had the walkway to our house changed to a concrete type small ramp. No more having to walk up one big step with nothing to hold onto to get into the house.

I do not like this disease at all. However as we baby boomers age, there are more and more universal design options available for us to stay safe in our homes. I just wish there were more tax credits for these type of safety issues.

I highly recommend a lift chair for the many comfort and safety issues it can provide.

Best of luck to all as we cope with trying to remain independent. Betty
bafriend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote