View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
Hey all, I'm super tired today, but this Dr. Oz person gave poor information if the claim was actually that the hug is the #1 cause of death.

It was irresponsible for this information to have been flung out there with no details on cause and effect.

It's lung disease, very typically pneumonia. If the hug is the underlying reason for the lung disease, she should have made that patently clear.

If you do a little checking online, you'll find many authentic, empirical studies that detail this issue. Here's just one of the many I found:
http://jnnp.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/79/9/1016

Friends, please never forget that television is a vehicle for advertising and not much more. The more sensational the show, the higher the ratings, thus, the higher the advertising revenues.

I, personally, question the credibility of any medical or mental "expert" who has time and professional desire to become a sold-out television star.

I agree.

Oprah has Dr. Oz on her show quite a bit and some will take his claims as gospel just because he's wearing a lab coat and has the title of "Dr.".

I'm surprised Montel didn't correct him but sometimes it seems like he's going for the sensationalism and drama of it all, too. I don't doubt for one minute that he has pain with his MS but I'm sometimes skeptical as to how truthful he is to his viewers regarding his sx.

I guess I've just become distrustful and cynical in my old age! With so many treatments and meds out there I sometimes feel like we're all just guinea pigs for our doctors to learn with.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (03-18-2009), Desinie (03-18-2009), gardengrl (03-18-2009), Ivy2 (03-18-2009), NurseNancy (03-18-2009), SallyC (03-18-2009)