View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 01:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydellen View Post
Fantastic to hear! I strongly believe its in a large scale about the chemistry when talking about PCS.

A report from a leading swedish institute came to the conclusion that the severity of a headtrauma was NOT the thing that predicted the outcome and possible PCS. All was mTBI but with a wide range of severity at the first glance.

They took scan-results, symtoms, neurological testing and more in to consideration, but it just didnt make any sense. People with the proven more serious damage such as hemorrhages, axondamage and more and more persistent symptoms was not automatically those with the worst long term outcome!!
This has been proven in practise also. You hear people having a quite mild first concussion but still get PCS, while some people can get lots without as persistent symptoms. Ok bad example but I think you will agree.

What they DID find in the study was that persons with negative psychological factors like depression and lots else (before, during or after the incident) was more likely to end up with PCS. This is what I really have thought alot of...

The reason beeing is my father who has had the same problem with fatigue as I have. But he didnt HIT his head...

He worked in a constant stress for too long and got himself into having somekind of a stressrelated disorder. It is proven that people with this kind of "disorder" have changes in their brain-chemistry. He has been on a lot of different drugs (antidepressants mostly) that has made his brain had a chance to by itself level out the imbalances. And now it seems it has...

The point beeing: Chemistry has more too do with our persisting symptoms than we might understand.

The really interesting part is this though:

How will the brain react if you level the balances out and keep the brain from "misfireing" or help with the reatract of glutamate for an example (through medications as you describe you use)?

Will it be fine or have the brain put itself in this recoverymode which means crossing its boundaries will harm it or prolong the "real" recovery whatever it might be...

I hate that I write soo much, its hard for people to read but Im so interested.

I cant find the report right now but If someone wants to see it I will try to get a hold of it.

Emil from Sweden

Couldnt agree more!
Mikeyy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote