Thread: Exercise
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Checkmate and Welcome!
Wow, 60 lbs-that's great. Exercise is good for us, unless it has negative consequences. Sounds like walking mile and half does. Could you try half a mile and see what happens? Swimming for most of us is the ultimate. It's easy on the body and we can stay longer in the water. The water needs to be 86 degrees. The local YMCA can be an inexpensive way to go. Or some health clubs that are inexpensive, have water stretching classes etc. Their pool I think is usually around 85 degrees-up.
This is a critical time for you, sounds like you might be spreading? You want to keep
your symptoms down. Are you on a treatment program,meds? Stretching is good, physical therapy by someone knowledgeable of RSd is usually good. I kept my mobility because of it along with massage therapy. I do have one crippled limb, my left hand, was misdiagnosed and didn't get physical therapy soon enough/
If you are diagnosed within 6 months from injury, you have a better chance of remission. There is no cure. Desensitization is very important.
One point you won't like, some of the meds we use cause weight gain. And then less activity doesn't help.
Listen to you body, and ask your Dr. if he/she has experience with RSD.
You 'll find lots of support here. I'd encourage you to read read read older posts and current posts. Also RSDSA is the national organization that has good information On their website, they have a place for you to put in your zipcode, and they will give you a name a contact phone number. You can get support by these meeting and learn who in town has knowledge, Dr. wise. Also rscrx.com is a good site. Dr. Hooshmand is retired, but site is still up. The part called puzzles has 140 questions form patients and Dr. answers..
Hope the best for you, loretta I'm 61 have full body-14 years. Wasn't diagnosed for 4 years.
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Checkmate (07-26-2009)