View Single Post
Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Chat

Hi, Idealist.

I, too, went several years to apply after first having a doctor telling me to do so. I felt it was a step into "official failure" status, and I just wasn't ready or willing to accept that I hadn't been able to handle things for many years and needed assistance.

I, too, have had family members having problems with me, but mainly because I am seen as an embarrassment to the family.

But let me suggest something to you. I had seen so many people fretting about their checks, when would be coming, getting transportation to get them cashed, the embarrassment, like you spoke about. I bypassed all that. I went to a bank (BOA) that gave me free checking and a debit card that has a Visa emblem (some banks have a MasterCard) - all in exchange for my being willing to have my check be electronically deposited.

It is an immensely civilized way to live. Most retired persons have direct deposit, and there is no shame and the bank tellers (when I go in a time or two a year) treat me as nicely as if I had a million dollars on deposit.

Ignore your family, they are just ignorant (and cruel). You can do better than them for friends.

Hugs,
Teri

OneMoreTime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote