View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Gosh Dej, I feel really guilty now. Today is our meeting and I decided I just couldn't be bothered going. My bad! Our meets are monthly and I used to go every month if I was well, but lately I have become apathetic about it.

When we lived in a different state, my hubby were really involved and worked hard to help the group make money which was given back to the MSers in our area (providing equipment, medications, repairs, etc), but since moving I just can't raise the same enthusiasm.

I put it down to several things, like the different personalities. The group is small (about 8-15 people) and there's always one who moans and complains, nothing ever pleases her. There's one who knows everything and talks over the rest of us, and there's one who's always saying something smutty ... you get the picture?

Also, this group won't do anything for themselves. While our group (in the other state) was smaller than this one, it was very active helping each other by raising money, this group refuses. They want the Govt. and the public to donate everything as they believe it's owed to them because they have an incurable disease.

I guess that's why I have become disallusioned, and it is a shame to have good speakers arrive and have few people to listen to them but it's always a select few who decide who's to be invited to speak, and who isn't. Does that happen with your group? Does everyone get an equal say?

If none of my reasons apply, then can I suggest a social meeting? No guest speakers, no stress.

Rather than the room/hall or whatever place you have the usual meetings, may I suggest that you have a meet in a park with a barbeque, at some-one's home and everyone bring a plate, or anything else along those lines? Send out invitations to all on the list and ask for an RSVP.

Then, have coffee and something to eat and before people leave, have the meeting. Ask for suggestions on how to get people interested again? You could even ask those invited to suggest one thing each if they can, without puting them under any pressure if they decline to do so. Maybe this simple change (and it might or might not be, a one off thing) would be less threatening, especially if there's a good reason why the number's have dropped off.

That's all at the moment, but I'll add anything else I think of later.

Last edited by Koala77; 11-10-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added a bit
Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lady (11-11-2010), SallyC (11-10-2010), TRESA (11-11-2010)