View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

The gluten free flours often are heavy in potato starch and tapioca, which have a high glycemic index.

I did GF for 3 or so years. I did miss bread and bagels, and pizza.
I did rice cakes for peanut butter, and some GF crackers.

There is a gluten free Bisquick now you know.

The pasta is easy to substitute with Tinkyada pasta. This is made from brown rice and the texture is very good. The benefit is that brown rice is low glycemic and metabolized more slowly, than wheat pastas, so you do better blood sugar wise as well. Most stores are carrying them now. They are much easier to find. A bit more expensive but not much. I tried all the other pastas, and I couldn't stand any of the others! I thought the others were major YUK.

There are many resources now on the net with recipes, and other good stuff for GF eating.
Check out the Useful Websites sticky at our own Gluten forum here for starters. It is easier now than ever, doing GF.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote