View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 02:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalynn View Post

This is exactly what I have done. I have probably seen close to a dozen neuros. I think the danger in this is being labeled a doctor shopper. I am not looking for a neuro to give me a diagnosis that "I want" I am looking for a neuro to work and give me a diagnosis that I have.
I think you have done (and are doing) the right thing. as long as you do not fit any known "box" there will be those that will conveniently label you as something any how and you really have no control over that, so don't worry about it. just do what you think is right. I always say that I like everyone, I am bound to make some mistakes, but I want to make my own mistakes not someone else's.

by the way, when you come to think about it, what's so bad about being a doctor shopper? if you want to buy a car, you will probably seek the best car-dealer, learn as much as you can about the different cars you can afford, consult friends and family what is the best, safest, most reliable car.

why shouldn't you do do the same, when it comes to your own health.

would anyone judge you for not buying the first car from the first car-dealer (who you could clearly sense was trying to sell you a cheap car at a ridiculously high price)? no, they would say how smart you are for not falling into his trap. so why should you be ready to "buy" the diagnosis a non-caring arrogant physician is trying to "sell" you or the treatment he has pulled out of his sleeve without thinking about the potential risks?

I can tell you that are some excellent and even outstanding physicians out there, and some I would not even buy a used car from. and many in-between. so why shouldn't you try to get the best?

and I think you should be looking for a neuro (or other physicians as needed) that will work with you, to find the best way to manage your illness. what matters is not the diagnosis, but the actual management. finding the right diagnosis is only one step in that process, and clearly not enough.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Marin826 (12-20-2010), shalynn (12-17-2010)