View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
What test? There are many tests for AI diseases. Can you be more specific? Was it for SSA & SSB?

The lip biopsy is no big deal, really. There are some the get a very small area that is numb or has a lump. I have both but VERY small and certainly not worth complaining about. You are going to find people that have bad experiences with any test out there. Most don't have problems, but when you are reading online, you'll hear about the minority. Keep in mind that all those with good experiences are not going to post online just to say it was fine.

The lip biopsy is the definitive test. Up to 40-50% will be sero-negative for Sjogren's, so the biopsy is the way to go if you have other symptoms and want to confirm or deny Sjogren's. I have all negative blood work, but my lip biopsy clearly shows Sjogren's at end stage.

Have you had a Schirmer's test to determine if you tear production is abnormal?
The tests I had are:

1. Sjorgren's Anti-SS-A
2. Sjorgren's Anti-SS-B
3. Antichromatin Antibodies (not sure if this is related to Sjogren's)
Note: Results for all of these are <2 with reference interval (i guess this refers to normal ranges) as 0.0 - 0.9.

Please take note that when I had these tests, together with a whole bunch of antibodies tests, it was before the onset of my PN symptoms. I had a mass in my lacrimal gland. The opthalmologist poked it to get specimen for biopsy. It was benign (thank God), but after that poking and steroids (localized), I have now dry eyes.

I dont know about Schirmer's test, but everytime I go to my opthalmologist, there is this white strip clipped in my eyelids to test how dry my eyes are. Is this different from Schirmer's test?

If I may ask, what other symptoms do you have for Sjogren's? Did your PN symptoms manifest about the same time when you discovered about the Sjogren's?

Thank you.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote