View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My experience with mixing the two.

I was on gaba at 2400 mg/d (4x600 mg doses), then switched to Lyrica at 300 mg/day (2x150 mg doses). I found that Lyrica has a half life that tapers off quickly to the point where it is ineffective well before the next dose. I therefore use one gaba to 'fill in' when I start to get very uncomfortable, and it seems to work.

I asked my pain doc about this and he told me to quit what I was doing (I didn't - sometimes a well informed patient is the best judge in such matters). I think it comes down to how often you mix the meds and what the dosages are.

Before I was taking gaba or Neurontin for many years. Then, as most have discovered, the drug's effectiveness diminished rather quickly, hence the titrating up. However, if you can handle occasionally not using these drugs for 1-3 weeks, much if not most of the durgs' original effectiveness returns. I know this creates a roller coaster but for some it may be well worth it.

Lortab is another example of where getting off of it for a while occasionally will restore the original effectiveness. It will save you from changing to stronger opoids.

Mark
mjenko is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote