View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjenko View Post
I was on gaba at 2400 mg/d (4x600 mg doses), then switched to Lyrica at 300 mg/day (2x150 mg doses). I found that Lyrica has a half life that tapers off quickly to the point where it is ineffective well before the next dose. I therefore use one gaba to 'fill in' when I start to get very uncomfortable, and it seems to work.

Before I was taking gaba or Neurontin for many years. Then, as most have discovered, the drug's effectiveness diminished rather quickly, hence the titrating up. However, if you can handle occasionally not using these drugs for 1-3 weeks, much if not most of the durgs' original effectiveness returns. I know this creates a roller coaster but for some it may be well worth it.

Mark
How do you wean off so quickly? I assume you need to wean off then wait 1-3 weeks and then ramp back up again?

I was on Gabapentin but could not get past 1500mg a day as it was drying out my throat something God awful.

I am on 600mg lyricia and found that once it hit 300mg I was gettings some positive results that would last a few days. then 400mg. less pain for a week and the pain would come back, 500mg less pain for week, then pain would come back, and then 600mg less pain for a week and pain would come back. Notice a pattern. My Doctor said while you can build up a tolerance to the drug it shouldnt happend that quickly.

My burning pain is up and down so much I can't find a pattern but it seems like the lyrica isnt doing much for it. I should try getting off Lyrica but I am afraid my pain will be worse if I do.
bent98 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote