View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiek View Post
Hi. I was wondering how people explain crps to others. I moved to australia 4 years ago and am due to go home to the uk for a wedding next year. My concern is that when i left my crps was very mild and most people didnt know i had anything out of the ordinary wrong with me. After a flare up a few years ago the crps has spread. I walk with a very noticeable limp and sometimes use a cane. I have limited use of the effected arm. But my main concern is the permenant tremours and speech problems. I should be feeling excited about seeing my family and friends but i am dreading it. Does anyone have any advice
I have had to help my 14 year old with this issue and explaining it to her friends and teachers at school. Basically your pain centers in your brain do not know how to shut off. They do not understand that you do not have a visible "injury" but your brain is telling your nerves that you do, therefore it affects your ability to control the muscles in your body (walking, talking, using your arm) since all muscles are controlled by nerves. Your brain and nerves continue to think you have an injury and way down at the cellular level they are working as if you do, releasing chemicals that cause pain, and also not allowing your pain pathways to shut off.
I hope this helps. I know it has for my daughter, and it has helped others understand how complex our brain really is! GOOD LUCK.
momofrsd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote