advertisement

Old 01-27-2007, 08:00 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Question about dairy intolerance

I cut milk out of my diet several years ago, way before I discovered I'm gluten sensitive. I wasn't able to drink milk, or eat ice cream, but never had problems with cheese or yoghurt, that I noticed. The milk/ice cream gave me horrible diarrhea and gas. It's possible that I did have some reaction from the yoghurt or cheese, since until I discovered the problem with gluten I always had some gas and diarrhea (which had finally increased to the point where I made the gluten connection and went GF). I still occasionally get some gas and diarrhea, and am not sure whether it is from hidden gluten, some other sensitivity, or possibly the cheese/yoghurt. I really need to keep a good food diary for a couple of weeks and figure out what I might be eating that could still be giving me problems.
My question (Yes, I did have one in all this! ) is this: is it possible to have dairy intolerance that only shows up for milk and ice cream, but would still let you eat yoghurt and cheese?

advertisement
Old 01-27-2007, 11:04 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm no expert, but I keep thinking you're sounding like the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). Have you read "Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet" by Gottschall? Our library carries it and it's a fairly quick read. Fluid milk is not allowed on the SCD, but yogurt and some cheeses are allowed. I can't remember where ice cream fits in, but I would guess it's not allowed. Anyway, I would say you're not crazy.
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisba View Post
My question (Yes, I did have one in all this! ) is this: is it possible to have dairy intolerance that only shows up for milk and ice cream, but would still let you eat yoghurt and cheese?
Yes definitely possible. Lactose is usually very low in yogurt and cheese because the bacteria that make those products gets eaten up by the beasties that creating the tangy flavors.

And almost everyone that has villi damage is lactose intolerant at least until their villi heal, perhaps permanently if they don't make the enzyme anyway.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:42 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the replies! I really felt that the occasional upsets were coming from something other than the yogurt and cheese. Nice to have it confirmed that that is possible. I guess I will try my idea of a detailed food diary and see what it might possibly be.
Hugs,