Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 03:22 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dr. believes I'll be normal again :)

I saw my PCP on Tuesday. Originally I was supposed to increase my hours at work from 20 to 30 on April 1. I've been having a lot of difficulty being able to work even twenty hours. Since I started working 20 hours a week on Dec 1, I've had several significant improvements in my overall cognitive functioning. Presumably these increases in my cognitive functioning are taking more energy to maintain and I'm still wiped out all the time. It seems every time I think I'm doing better physically, instead of building more physical stamina I get a recovery leap in my brain functioning!

I'm going to continue to work 20 hours a week through June 1 and hopefully increase my work schedule at that time.

My next appt with her is in May.

My latest improvements have been very exciting for me. I haven't had that "normal" feeling yet that some people here have posted about... and it's been about 19 months since the accident I was in. But I'm doing a LOT better than I was a year ago and I'm so grateful for that!

I have a lot to be grateful for in my life, including this forum. I believe the advice on this board has been instrumental in my continued recovery.

Even though I don't have news of a complete recovery at this time, I wanted to share with you that I'm doing so much better in an effort to brighten your days a little bit and to bring you guys all some hope too. (On Saturday some friends of mine from college agreed that I'm not able to be even 50% of what I was before the accident yet... I'll post in the sticky threadof hope and healing about my recovery once I'm at about 95% or more. )
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
greenfrog (03-15-2012), Johnson (03-16-2012), katie71083 (03-18-2012), Klaus (03-15-2012), Marina22 (03-16-2012), nightnurse30 (03-15-2012), Soccergal (03-15-2012), SpaceCadet (03-15-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-15-2012)

advertisement
Old 03-15-2012, 03:25 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsthersDoll View Post
I saw my PCP on Tuesday. Originally I was supposed to increase my hours at work from 20 to 30 on April 1. I've been having a lot of difficulty being able to work even twenty hours. Since I started working 20 hours a week on Dec 1, I've had several significant improvements in my overall cognitive functioning. Presumably these increases in my cognitive functioning are taking more energy to maintain and I'm still wiped out all the time. It seems every time I think I'm doing better physically, instead of building more physical stamina I get a recovery leap in my brain functioning!

I'm going to continue to work 20 hours a week through June 1 and hopefully increase my work schedule at that time.

My latest improvements have been very exciting for me. I haven't had that "normal" feeling yet that some people here have posted about... and it's been about 19 months since the accident I was in. But I'm doing a LOT better than I was a year ago and I'm so grateful for that!

I have a lot to be grateful for in my life, including this forum. I believe the advice on this board has been instrumental in my continued recovery.

Even though I don't have news of a complete recovery at this time, I wanted to share with you that I'm doing so much better in an effort to brighten your days a little bit and to bring you guys all some hope too. (On Saturday some friends of mine from college agreed that I'm not able to be even 50% of what I was before the accident yet... I'll post in the sticky threadof hope and healing about my recovery once I'm at about 95% or more. )

I am SO happy to hear this ) I wish you all the best as you move forward!! You have given me hope...

July 21, 2010, one month after starting my new job I sustained a concussion after standing up quickly from a sqatting position and subsequently being impaled by the corner of a metal filing cabinet in to the left side of my skull. Dx. Post Concussive Syndrome.

Female, 45 years young
Mom of 3 boys (22,19,10)..Registered Nurse 16 years

Symptoms: Vertigo, difficulty concentrating, unable to multitask, fatigue, severe transient headaches..severity and location change frequently, anxiety, PTSD, tinnitus, "electrical like sensations" across the top of my head, "hot flashes", numbness and coolness to hands (worsens in A/C), very poor recall ability, processing and comprehension, difficulty finding words and completing thoughts, short term memory is awful.

~I will never give up on myself~

~I run because I can. When I get tired, I remember those who can't run, what they'd give to have this simple gift I take for granted, and I run harder for them...I know they would do the same for me <3
JulieRN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-16-2012), nightnurse30 (03-17-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Best of luck.
SI33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-16-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 11:45 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So happy for you!!! I too Am returning to work. Im at 12 hours a week. I think you are wise to stick with the 20 hour for a little longer. Baby steps, right! Better than trying to take big steps and set yourself back.

Congrats and thanks for sharing. Very encouraging!

Please keep us posted.

Soccergal
Female, 44 years old. Several concussions over the years - the first was most severe (kicked by horse), recovered well. Last 2 concussions Oct, 2009 and were two weeks apart. I attempted to return to working 12 hrs/wk (working from home), but was unsuccessful. Currently applying for medical disability.

Primary Symptoms: dizziness, light & sound sensitivity, confusion, difficulty focusing attention, headaches, depression, exteme fatigue, some insomnia and occassional speach problems - stammer, halted speach as I try to find the word or thought and using incorrect words. Trouble focusing on conversation if there is other noise around - especially other conversations.

Soccergal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-16-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 11:47 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

P.S. How long ago was your injury Esthersdoll?
Female, 44 years old. Several concussions over the years - the first was most severe (kicked by horse), recovered well. Last 2 concussions Oct, 2009 and were two weeks apart. I attempted to return to working 12 hrs/wk (working from home), but was unsuccessful. Currently applying for medical disability.

Primary Symptoms: dizziness, light & sound sensitivity, confusion, difficulty focusing attention, headaches, depression, exteme fatigue, some insomnia and occassional speach problems - stammer, halted speach as I try to find the word or thought and using incorrect words. Trouble focusing on conversation if there is other noise around - especially other conversations.

Soccergal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

That's fantastic news! Stay strong, stay positive, and most of all stay patient. You're showing signs of recovery so keep doing whatever it is you're doing right!

Took 3 days off work (plus 2 for the weekend), doctor said mild concussion and did not order a CT scan.
Felt symptom free for two days in late January and late February.
Decided to exercise (skating in January, light cycling in February) and symptoms returned with a bang.

March 15 2012: Medically cleared to return to action! Thank you all for your kind words and support. For those still suffering, know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stay positive and healthy
baultista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccergal View Post
P.S. How long ago was your injury Esthersdoll?
I was injured in an auto accident in July 2010, so about 20 months ago.

My Dr. says she's always been very pleased with the progress of my recovery despite the fact that I've been very frustrated and impatient with it. She was not as sure about my recovery or prognosis during the first ten months after the injury. I remember asking her about it after I had been given a spinal tap, about six to seven months after the injury and she said that we'll just have to see or something along those lines.

I had to be given a spinal tap because I had iicp, increased intracranial pressure, for the first six months or so after the injury. It rarely accompanies concussion, but experts theorize that it might damage the brain further than the initial injury. So I'm not sure if I should be counting my path to wellness from the time of the injury or the time of the spinal tap. (For my own peace of mind, I chose the latter.)

When I returned to work in August, I only worked 12 hours a week too. Then I increased the hours in December to twenty hours a week. (I tried and failed to increase them before then.) I'm just really lucky that I have a job that has been patient with my recovery process. I feel like all victims of head injuries should be given the same opportunity. I believe that being able to work has been some of the best cognitive therapy that I could receive through all of this.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Soccergal (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better! I hope that this is something that will stay and improve. Best of luck
Marina22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

I really like this kind of positive news. It gives the hope to everybody who reads it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsthersDoll View Post

Johnson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-17-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 12:41 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Great to hear, keep us posted on your progress :-)

I can't wait to go back to work and see people again. It sucks not feeling well enough to even leave the house.

Symptoms: focus/concentration issues, short term memory issues, nausia, dizziness, sleep problems, noise/light sensitivities, extreme fatigue, irritability, vision problems, slow processing, tingling in extremeties and a few more I can't remember.
HeadStrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote