Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 07:13 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How many surgeries did your surgeon perform?

Hi all

I sat and talked with my vascular surgeon on Friday. My husband was with me. He took us into his office and explained everything in great detail. He wrote a paper on the surgery for TOS in 2004. He's been performing TOS surgery for 10 years. He said he's done 100 of these surgeries. Is that a good number? What did your surgeon tell you? This was seemed to be very honest and told me that it's a very tricky "disease" and many surgeons don't like to do the surgery. It's very risky which I totally agree. You have to have a lot of knowledge and research TOS.

My surgeon is best with the surgery going in at the neck. He said he would remove 2 of the scalene muscles...a scalenectomy, plexus neurolysis and possible rib resection. He does not like to remove a rib...does not agree with that method. After going in ..he looks at the rib and if problems are there...he can shave some of the rib down or remove it all together. He said most of the compression comes from the scalene muscles and scar tissue on the BP. He said that he feels I will do well with the surgery. He said 2 days in the hospital and I will have a drainage tube but removed when going home. He explained the risks to the diaphragm. I was also instructed to get myself to a pain management Doctor who can work with me regarding meds and pain now and after the surgery.

My Neurologist has me trying cymbalta right now. Today is the 2nd day but no difference. He said it can take up to a week to start working. I don't seem to be having a reaction to is so that's good. I need something to work! I can't take it anymore!

I'm just scared...I can't afford to travel for this surgery...I have 4 kids and limited funds. This surgeon seems very knowledgeable but I just don't know. I don't really want this surgery! I don't want the scar!

Please post any answers that you may have. Thanks.

Oh and my surgery is scheduled for January 7th.

Momz

Wishing I could think more positive and be well again!
momzpeachy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

My surgery by Dr. Annest in Denver (although I was living in Orange Co., CA), went very well as far as the surgery itself and it did help me some bit. And, I'll take ANY help, ok? It was horror before, and sometimes, is horror again.

But Annest, Brantigan, Sanders, Ahn in LA - they all do these surgeries multiple times every week for many, many years now.

I flew in to Denver, went to the surgery the next day, and flew home straight from the hospital. Work comp was forced by court order to pay for it all. My PTP at HOME properly referred me to Denver to one doctor for a diagnosis, consult on surgery first - and actually the judge at the hearing said as long as I'm there, she wanted me to get TWO opinions! (Thanks!)

So that's my surgery story, and there are quite a few of us who have done the fly in / surgery / fly out to Denver...it was worth it to me to have the experience in the surgeon.

Whatever you decide, it must be your own gut, internal reaction and choice. This is one of those rare times that I don't think anyone can or should push someone.

God bless you and help you with this huge decision.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:35 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

peacy Mom I know when I met with Dr Sanders last year for my consult he was over 2,000, somebody correct me if I wrong on this# though I do beleive this is what he had stated.. it is not the number it is the number of successful procedures and the least amount of internal parts removed in the process that matters to me!

First you forget names, then you forget faces.
Then you forget to pull up your zipper.
But it's worse when you forget to pull it down.

DDayMBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:56 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You may still have time to get a second opinion; if youre not 100% sure on what this doctor is wanting to do. Your vascular surgeon should be able to recommend someone in the area who could give you their opinion. It is a good sign that he has done so many surgerys and is willing to spend so much time explaining things to you and your husband.

Good luck.
mtnmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:50 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was in the hospital for 8 days two days seems fast but I guess it is different and I had my tube in longer than two days I had in me until my follow up and it was removed by my Dr. I hope you find the right doctor to help you and care for you.
flippnout is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:54 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi there,

In Australia I cant find a surgeon who does more than 4 a year! Ahhh it's so annoying! The Dr's I see all say I need surgery (and can be pushy!) but cant recommend a good surgeon. Im just not willing to risk it. Im trying a new physio today. Wish me luck.

Ozzy
ozzy14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote