NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   The new Google Nexus 7 tablet (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/172393-google-nexus-7-tablet.html)

MelodyL 06-29-2012 11:03 AM

The new Google Nexus 7 tablet

Hi. I only have one computer in my house. If I were to get a tablet, well all I would need it for would be to watch videos, access my Verizon webmail, (I don't play games at all). I do go on FB

This Nexus thing just came out. Actually you can only pre-order it. The price is $199.

Can't afford it now but if I ever do, well, all I want to know is

1. Do I need to put a router in my home and configure the Nexus 7 to get me on the internet.

2. If I don't get a router and people in my area have routers, I can get a signal from them right? They don't care, I asked them already.

3. Can I sign into my Verizon account and view my email.

I already know this tablet is good for vidoes, gaming, etc.

I just need my own device to go on the internet because Alan never gets off.

Here's a video of this Nexus thing

https://play.google.com/store/device...MTg5NjUwMzYiXQ..

Thanks Melody

Jomar 06-29-2012 12:10 PM

It is wireless , so a "hot spot" or wireless signal from somewhere is needed.

It should be able to browse the web, so going to Verizon website should work also.

MelodyL 06-29-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 892827)

It should be able to browse the web, so going to Verizon website should work also.

So basically it's a cheap IPAD!!!

lol

Melody

bgt1121 06-30-2012 05:45 PM

hi Melody
I went to biglots and purchased one of the 89.00 android tablets it is a 7 in tablet it is running the newest version of andriod any way i serf the web and play games and the memory can be expanded by a micro card works fine my neighbor also bought one and loves it
Brenda

MelodyL 06-30-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgt1121 (Post 893192)
hi Melody
I went to biglots and purchased one of the 89.00 android tablets it is a 7 in tablet it is running the newest version of andriod any way i serf the web and play games and the memory can be expanded by a micro card works fine my neighbor also bought one and loves it
Brenda

Okay, now we are getting into something I can afford.

I can get an android tablet for under a hundred bucks, I can get my verizon email, surf the net and play videos?? I don't play games so I don't care about that. Why would someone expand memory by a micro card?

Thanks SO much. What's the exact name of this thing?

How cool??

Mel

MelodyL 06-30-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 892827)

I just googled Android Tablets under $100 and I get something called Ice Cream Sandwiches. I'm too old for this.

lol

Melody

bgt1121 06-30-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 893240)
I just googled Android Tablets under $100 and I get something called Ice Cream Sandwiches. I'm too old for this.

lol

Melody

no you are not too old ye my neighbor got was a poloroid like the camera. people expand the memory if they want to save thing on the tablet like pics or music or movies.ice cream sandwich is the nickname for the latest version of android. it will do everything except make phone calls. it ha wireless built in the only draw back is battery doesn't last long so i use it plugged in.i take it when i go places so i can check my email. mine is called nextbook.
brenda

Jomar 06-30-2012 10:25 PM

Amazon has some off brand tablets under 100.00 -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...011&sort=price

MelodyL 07-02-2012 08:47 AM

Look at what I just found at Tiger Direct. I've used them for my Flips and never got a bad deal from them.

I can afford this. So if I get it and I take it out of the box, do I have to do ANYTHING? It comes with built in wi fi so if I am near a wi fi hot spot, I just touch the screen and I'll be on the internet. And I gather it comes with a virtual keyboard so I just type the url of where i want to go and I'll get there.

So here is my next question. If I want to come to Neurotalks, or another forum, I go there, and then there's an option to put an icon on the front of the screen. Everything is touch with these tablets. I know nothing about them, but I CAN learn. At least I think I can. For this price, I'll experiment.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...22996&csid=_61

I wish I could find a tutorial that would guide me from the beginning on how one uses a tablet.

Thanks much

Melody

Icehouse 07-02-2012 10:01 AM

Keep in mind, its only a 7" screen...thats a reason for the low price...most tablets are 10" and MUCH easier to use and view websites on....

MelodyL 07-02-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehouse (Post 893615)
Keep in mind, its only a 7" screen...thats a reason for the low price...most tablets are 10" and MUCH easier to use and view websites on....

That's just fine with me. I will only use it when I can't go on my regular computer. This is just to check email and forums and stuff.

And I can put it in my purse.

And the price is right. As soon as I can view a tutorial on how tablets work, I just might get one. Maybe not THIS one, but SOME one!!! lol

Thanks Much

Melody

Icehouse 07-13-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 893595)
Look at what I just found at Tiger Direct.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...22996&csid=_61

Melody

Its on sale right now for 24 hours.....$59....

MelodyL 07-13-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehouse (Post 897107)
Its on sale right now for 24 hours.....$59....

So once I learn how to use this thing, I can get my verizon email, come on these forums, go on youtube, go on hulu, watch videos, etc. etc.

I can do that?? for $59.00??? Seriously??

Melody

Icehouse 07-13-2012 08:03 AM

Seriously! Yes, you can. Its an Android based tablet, essentially a big cell phone, so it uses any wifi connection (secure or public) and it pretty much does everything a laptop can do...and you can access your Verizon online mail.....

You can even make calls if you get Skype :)

I think I might grab one too at that price, just for giggles.

MelodyL 07-13-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehouse (Post 897120)
Seriously! Yes, you can. Its an Android based tablet, essentially a big cell phone, so it uses any wifi connection (secure or public) and it pretty much does everything a laptop can do...and you can access your Verizon online mail.....

THANK YOU MUCH!!!!!!

Love ya.

Even if I don't know what I'm doing, I can practice on this thing.

I LOVE to learn.

You're a doll

Melody

MelodyL 07-13-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 897119)
So once I learn how to use this thing, I can get my verizon email, come on these forums, go on youtube, go on hulu, watch videos, etc. etc.

I can do that?? for $59.00??? Seriously??

Melody

Got it!!

Now here are some questions. I do not have a router in my home so I can't get a wifi signal from MY house. But there are people around me who have routers. I told them what I might be doing (before I get my own router). They have no problem with that.

So once I get this tablet, do I have to plug it in and charge it up (I'll read the instructions, not to worry), I just like to have all my ducks in a row. Do these things come pre-charged?

Once I'm all set to go, (I don't even know the browser they use, is it Safari, is it (well, what is it?). I didn't read the info, I only saw the price, lol.

It has to have a virtual keyboard right? Like the IPAD. So can I put an app (let's say for this forum), on the front of the screen so I can just touch the app and I'll be whisked away to this forum?

I know absolutely NOTHING about tablets except that one time I was at my niece's house last year and we had 30 people sitting around a table and I was saying "I have videos of my sprouting on youtube, I wish I could show all of you". I went to my niece who I knew had a computer and I said "I want to show some people my videos, can I bring them over to your computer". She just handed me an IPAD (thinking I knew what the heck to do with it). I looked at it and she said 'Oh, here's how it works'. In five minutes I was at youtube, and passing this tablet around the table and showing everyone my videos. To say I was impressed was putting it mildly. BUT.... I'm a very fast typist so I didn't like using the virtual keyboard to type in the URL's. But I know now that I didn't know what the heck I was doing.

But for this price, I CAN LEARN!! And then someday, when I'm rich, I'll buy my own IPAD.

lol

can't thank you enough.

Melody

MelodyL 07-13-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

I just checked the reviews on this thing (people who bought it from Tiger Direct). Some liked it, some said it did not work, you can't use the Google browser, some LOVED it, said it worked just fine after being charged up. Some returned it.

As these are refurbished items, I guess it's hit or miss. Thankfully one can return it if it doesn't work. I have purchased items from Tiger Direct (with no problem whatsoever). So I hope I can figure this little gem out. I just want to learn how to use a tablet.

Melody

MelodyL 07-13-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Look what I just found!!!

http://s3.velocitymicro.com/vmcruz/T...User_Guide.pdf

lol
Melody.
P.S. I'm trying to figure out how to download this PDF to my computer. Oh, this is so fun. Even if I don't know what I'm doing, my brain is FUNCTIONING!!!

Icehouse 07-13-2012 08:54 AM

LOL...you sound like you are having too much fun already.....dont forget that most review sites are only going to showcase the BAD reviews....so dont let that sway ya too much.

I looked over the reviews too, but at that price, and if its returnable, its still a good gamble just for the learning curve....

Thats good about the neighbours too, that thing wont take much bandwidth and they wont even notice!

Enjoy!

I will let you know if I grab one, I am on my way to Bestbuy in a few minutes to but a new TV for work, and I am going to play with a couple of the tablets while I am there......

Icehouse 07-13-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 897138)
Look what I just found!!!

P.S. I'm trying to figure out how to download this PDF to my computer. Oh, this is so fun. Even if I don't know what I'm doing, my brain is FUNCTIONING!!!

This opened for me and no 'save as' button....but then I clicked on the options in my browser and was able to save it there as a PDF to my computer....i use Chrome...

MelodyL 07-13-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehouse (Post 897145)
This opened for me and no 'save as' button....but then I clicked on the options in my browser and was able to save it there as a PDF to my computer....i use Chrome...

I also use Chrome but here's what I did. I opened up Internet Explorer, pasted the URL for the PDF file in the address bar, and brought up the PDF file, and then clicked on the upper left where it says FILE, I selected SAVE, and I put it on my desktop.

So even before I get this little toy, I now have a tutorial.

And can you believe that for the previous minute I am typing letters like PDF, URL, FILE , save. And I knew how to put a PDF file on my desktop. THERE IS HOPE FOR HIS OLD BIRD YET!!!

rofl.

Melody

Icehouse 07-13-2012 09:17 AM

Check out the 26 images on Tigerdirect too, it shows the icons, the keyboard, Facebook, eReader and other stuff.....

MelodyL 07-13-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehouse (Post 897149)
Check out the 26 images on Tigerdirect too, it shows the icons, the keyboard, Facebook, eReader and other stuff.....

Really? And I just did a live chat with a rep and made sure I could return it if it turns out to be a dud. The guy said "sure no problem, you have 30 days.

I'll know within one day if I can get this thing to do ANYTHING.

I feel like I did when I got my first VCR 30 years ago, and I had to get my neighbor to come into my house and show me how to program the stupid clock (never mind program the vcr to tape a show).

I looked at her while she was pressing buttons (don't forget this was 30 YEARS AGO), and i told her "I can NEVER learn to do this"

Look what I can do NOW!!!!

HOW FUN!!!

Melody
P.S. I think it's all the Methyl B-12 I take and I eat wild samon and avocados. My brain WORKS!! lol

Icehouse 07-13-2012 09:23 AM

FWIW, I have a B.Sc. and last night I was in a friends Mercedes and I could NOT figure out how to work the radio....so I just turned it off.

LOL

MelodyL 07-13-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehouse (Post 897151)
FWIW, I have a B.Sc. and last night I was in a friends Mercedes and I could NOT figure out how to work the radio....so I just turned it off.

LOL

I can go you one better. When you indicated it was on sale for $59.99 I FORGOT that I had put the link on this thread. I thought YOU were giving me the link. Once I went back and re-read my postings I said out loud "Oh, I originally put the link to this item here". You found that it was on sale for $59.99. You saved me twenty bucks.

I just went to where it said 26 images. Didn't see any 26 images. About 5 or so. The side view, the back view, AND IT HAS A STAND!!!

How cool.

Oh, it says it has a default that if you don't touch the screen for 15 seconds the screen goes away. So if one is watching a video and not touching the screen for 15 seconds, what does one do?

Not sure what this means?

Are you a tablet knowledgable person? lol

Melody

Icehouse 07-13-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 897152)

Oh, it says it has a default that if you don't touch the screen for 15 seconds the screen goes away. So if one is watching a video and not touching the screen for 15 seconds, what does one do?

Not sure what this means?

Are you a tablet knowledgable person? lol

Melody

Hopefully thats not the case, but maybe IF something like a vid or game or whatnot is running then it wont hibernate....hopefully.

And, no, I am not tablet savvy at all, but I research enough for customers and buy for others that I have a mild understanding....:p

MelodyL 07-13-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehouse (Post 897271)
Hopefully thats not the case, but maybe IF something like a vid or game or whatnot is running then it wont hibernate....hopefully.

And, no, I am not tablet savvy at all, but I research enough for customers and buy for others that I have a mild understanding....:p

Well, your mild understanding is WAY more than what I know. And even more than a friend of mine.

Here's the conversation I had 15 minutes ago.

Melody: "Guess what, I just bought a tablet".
She: "What's a tablet?"
Melody: "Do you know what an Ipad is?"
She: "Oh yeah"
Melody: "Well, that's a Tablet"
She: "Oh, I thought it was a notebook, I have one of those"
Melody: "You have a notebook, that means you have a laptop"
She: "No, I have a Notebook, an Iphone (which she has never used), a Laptop (which she uses)
Melody: 'What do you mean you have a Notebook?"
She: "Oh we got one free, it's a square thing with a flat screen and it has no keyboard"
Melody 'YOU HAVE A TABLET???"
She: "No, It's called a Notebook" And no she never used it.

I give up.
rofl.

Icehouse 07-16-2012 06:51 AM

That sounds like most conversations I have had doing tech support...:cool:

Did ya get it yet?

MelodyL 07-16-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehouse (Post 897898)
That sounds like most conversations I have had doing tech support...:cool:

Did ya get it yet?

HI. Not yet. It's been shipped. This should be SOME learning experience for me. Never in all my mind did I ever think I would own something that I can hold in my hand, and go on the internet with. And my friends (the others who DO use their smart phones), but NEVER go on the internet with them. They just do texting.

And this IS funny. I know people who go on Facebook and who buy things from websites but DO NOT OWN A COMPUTER and don't know how to use one. They only know their phones.

And then I know people who have IPADs, Smart phones, and laptops and only know how to use them, not how to download anything, or set the thing up. They have other family members set them up, and then they are all set.

I hope I figure out how to do this. I'm just hoping that when I open it and take it out of the box, and charge it up, that all I have to do (if I'm near a wi fi hotspot), well, all I have to do is touch the icon and it shall wisk me away to google land.

We shall see.

Next on my list?? A robot that does housework. And they DO HAVE THIS IN JAPAN!!

lol

Melody

Icehouse 07-17-2012 09:48 PM

I have used a couple iPads and a couple of the android ones on occasion, and if you can work a smartphone and a laptop you wont have any trouble at all with a tablet.

They are pretty much just touch and go out of the box. There may be a bit of a learning curve with the keyboard and the layout, but it will become 2nd nature pretty quick..

You will be fine :)

MelodyL 07-19-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehouse (Post 898490)
I have used a couple iPads and a couple of the android ones on occasion, and if you can work a smartphone and a laptop you wont have any trouble at all with a tablet.

They are pretty much just touch and go out of the box. There may be a bit of a learning curve with the keyboard and the layout, but it will become 2nd nature pretty quick..

I have never used a smart phone so I'm not smart I guess, lol

It just arrived. I tried turning it on. There are absolutely no directions on what to do when you take it out of the box. I made a video. I'm trying to upload to youtube so I can show you what it looks like.

The little pamphlet it comes with (of course they must think I know what to do with this thing) talks about wi fi and getting your email. But it doesn't say what to do when you take it out of the box.

So I have it standing on it's little stand and I plugged it in the wall and I would imagine it's charging up. It's on it's little stand. It's a beautiful little thing but I would just like to know how many hours do I keep this plugged in? Do I do this every day?

I plugged it in at 9:30 am.

HELP!!!! lol And as soon as I can upload this video you'll see it.

Melody

MelodyL 07-19-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Okay (and I posted a response to you but it's not showing up and I don't know why).

I just got it. No instructions on what to do when taking it out of the box. I tried turning it on. No power so I gather it has to be charged. I plugged it into the wall.

How long do I do this? do I do this every day? I have NO CLUE.

lol

Here's the tablet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnHCyBsZHQ0

Thanks much Melody

MelodyL 07-19-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Well, this is FASCINATING. I went to my tutorial that I have on my PC desktop and read some instructions. I am to keep it plugged in for approx 3 hours and it should give me a 10 hour charge.

It also had diagrams of the on/off, something called a Kensington lock (what is that)? and I have one question to begin with.

Since this is all about tapping, etc. (and I've never done that because I've never used a touch screen before) it says to tap (not hold) the power button to put it in sleep mode and to wake it up.

Is the power button the same as the on/off thing?

I WILL learn this thing yet!!

loll

Oh, this is so exciting!!!

lol, Melody

Icehouse 07-19-2012 09:50 AM

haha, it prob has an off\pn button but to wake these up you just tap the screen or just quickly hit the on\off button (not hold).....

I will watch the video when I am not projecting my Internet over a 60" screen in public...

Jomar 07-19-2012 12:09 PM

did you find the manual online yet?
http://www.userguidemanual.com/googl...k-user-manual/

MelodyL 07-19-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 898867)
did you find the manual online yet?
http://www.userguidemanual.com/googl...k-user-manual/

Okay, this is what I learned how to do so far.

Turn it on.
Look at the icons.
Tap the word wi fi settings.

All these people come up (some with locks next to them) some with no locks. But I can't tell if I am connected.

Also, when I do the keyboard (I learned this) and try to go to youtube and tap the word youtube, I don't go to youtube, it just brings up some screen that talks about youtube.

I guess I'm not sure if I'm connected yet.

I have MUCH to learn.

Tomorrow I am going around the corner to the computer store and hope they show me how to get a wi fi connection.

Then....I'll think about buying a router.

I just want to learn first.

lol

Melody

Jomar 07-19-2012 03:28 PM

If you can go to places online then it is connected.
The ones without locks are the ones you can use, unless you get passwords for the others.

Could you tap on the unlocked ones - it might tell you if you are connected or it will ask/say connect to?

If you open the chrome browser I think it should look just like on your computer.. open chrome and type something in to see if goes there or brings up anything..

And the video I saw on you tube showed an icon for settings, that might be the place to explore.

MelodyL 07-19-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 898902)
The ones without locks are the ones you can use, unless you get passwords for the others.

Could you tap on the unlocked ones - it might tell you if you are connected or it will ask/say connect to?

If you open the chrome browser I think it should look just like on your computer.. open chrome and type something in to see if goes there or brings up anything..

And the video I saw on you tube showed an icon for settings, that might be the place to explore.

Didn't see any chrome browser. Did see any browser but then I don't know what I'm doing.

What I DID do was click on the wi fi settings, tapped where it was unlocked. It said I was connected. But I want to know WHY, when I type in youtube.com, or facebook, it doesn't take me there. It takes me to places that MENTION these words, not the actual website (Or at least it doesn't look like the website).

I find this very confusing.

Oh, under the wi fi thing it now says

Connected to linksys (I had chosen that because it was unlocked).

And on the left it idicated linksys and has the word connected under it.

So exactly how do I leave this particular screen to find a way to access the internet. This says CONNECTED, but I don't know how to go anwhere on the internet.

I wish I had someone standing next to me showing me step by step.

Melody

MelodyL 07-19-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 898902)

This is what I did just now.

Because it said I was connected, I went to the upper left (where the little house icon is), and tapped on that and I saw a google url thing up top. I typed in youtube.com and hit go and it brings me to options in Google.

There are no icons for youtube or facebook on the screen (like my desktop right?)

So how does one go anywhere on the internet? Am I supposed to get a special app and tap the app and IS THAT HOW ONE GETS ON THE INTERNET?

If I could just learn this, I think I could do this thing

Melody

MelodyL 07-19-2012 05:08 PM

How do you get rid of the virtual keyboard?

Melody