NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   New Members To The MS Forum....Please Introduce Yourselves! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/150052-ms-forum-please-introduce-yourselves.html)

Kitty 05-12-2011 11:45 AM

New Members To The MS Forum....Please Introduce Yourselves!

Since the original "New Members" thread (http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread4543.html) had gotten past the 1,000 post mark we're starting a new one.

New members to the MS forum please introduce yourselves here so we can welcome you! :)

SallyC 05-12-2011 12:07 PM

Thanks Kell, I showed this link in the old one, so Chamar can make it a sticky..:)

mhill62 05-15-2011 10:39 AM

please introduce yourselves

Hello, I am new. Trying to figure out what is happening to my body since this past March. Intermittent stuff, now not so intermittent. Don't know where to start.. thought the place would be with Dr's but is going nowhere. Thank you, Marge

nemsmom 05-15-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhill62 (Post 770573)
Hello, I am new. Trying to figure out what is happening to my body since this past March. Intermittent stuff, now not so intermittent. Don't know where to start.. thought the place would be with Dr's but is going nowhere. Thank you, Marge

Hi Marge, if your doctor isn't listening please find a new one. If you are having symptoms and feel MS needs to be looked into then you need to see a Neurologist that specializes in MS.

I'm sorry you're having rough time.:( Welcome to the group:grouphug:

SallyC 05-15-2011 11:44 AM

Welcome, Marge.:) This is an MS Support Forum. Do Drs here, unless they happen to share our MS.

I understand your confusion and fear.:( It sounds like your Doc is not helping you. If you susspect MS, then look for a Neuro who specializes in MS.

Let us help you through your diagnosis process..:hug:

Kitty 05-15-2011 12:08 PM

Hi Marge and welcome to the group! :welcome_sign: I'm sorry you're not getting anywhere with the medical community. Sometimes it seems like an uphill climb to try and get anyone there to listen. :rolleyes:

I think you'll find lots of support and information here to help you along the way. Hope to see more of you here!

Dejibo 05-16-2011 08:20 AM

hello and welcome to all the new one. :hug:

allybear 05-17-2011 04:34 PM

Hi all!

Hi!!!!!

I'm Ally, I've been struggling to get a proper treatment for over 4 years. I finally got a little bit of a breakthrough and have an appointment at the MS research clinic at UBC next week. hopefully things are looking up :)

SallyC 05-17-2011 07:42 PM

Welcome to NeuroTalk Ally, nice tp meet you..:) Have you been diagnosed with MS?

I hope you get all the answers and proper treatment you need from the UBC Clinic.

Stay with us and let us know how it goes.:hug:

Old Gal 05-24-2011 12:20 AM

New To You

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed with MS in '97 and have been on Betaserone ever since. My MRI's haven't changed much but I have gotten more and worse symptoms. Have any of ya'll ever heard of pudendal nerve entrapment? MS is rotten enough without having the ignominy of this !!!!! I won't even talk about the pain cause I bet every one of you has thier own little "Shop of Horrors" when it comes to pain talks. :( It is nice to find a place where like minded folks can talk about things. I hope to talk to each of you soon......Happy Trails!!

SallyC 05-24-2011 10:02 AM

Hi Old Gal, welcome. I bet I'm older..:D
I was DX in 1976..:eek:

I'm so glad you found us. Come on in and join the Whine and Cheese party. We all understand where you're coming from and are here to support you.:hug:

Kitty 05-24-2011 10:12 AM

Hi Ally and Old Gal! Welcome to NeuroTalk! :welcome_sign: Make yourselves right at home and join in the discussions. Also, The Stumble Inn is a place for MS folks to gather and talk about stuff that's not MS related. Here's the link http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum102.html.

Good to have you here!

Alaskan 05-27-2011 10:44 PM

Hello all.......

Very interesting and infomational site! Thank you!

My name is Curt, 38yr (39 in a couple weeks) ,white male. Currently trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my BODY! These nerve pains, uhggg, had enough! I have NOT been diagnosed with MS, yet. Just getting started with trying to figure it all out. Met with a doc last night and this (MS) is his first thought. I did a TON of reading last night online and can truly say I have 98% of the symptom's. I can't have a MRI due to steel rods in my back, so the doc ordered a CT Scan to rule out a herniated disk, if that is ruled out he will order a spinal tap and other tests.

I tell ya, I feel your pain, truly! This has been a nightmare for a few months, and I am done!

Anywho, I'll be hanging around reading and asking "newbie" :rolleyes: questions. First 2 are:

What the heck is a "hug". And what does "MX'S" mean?

Thanks,
Curt :cool:

Kitty 05-28-2011 03:57 AM

Hi Curt and welcome! Sorry you're having to go through the diagnosis stage of the game. It can be frustrating but so many other conditions need to be ruled out before MS can be diagnosed.

Many of the "old-timers" here (me included) use abbreviations for lots of medical/forum terms and it can be confusing to a new person. Here is a link with a post that lists many of the abbreviations and their meaning: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...=abbreviations.

Hope to see you around more often! :)

Fuzzyhead 05-28-2011 05:57 AM

New to MS

Hi All

Ive been diagnosed in past year and things have seemed not very different after recovery from my initial attack.I had ongoing sensory loss on my left arm which I learned to accept.
But in the past 2 months , my head has gotten fuzzy ,I feel detached and disconnected with my children and colleagues.When people speak ,its almost as if I hear them through water!
My neurologist is very clever and nice, but I dont feel he understands my symptoms and I get the impression , my symptoms mean no different to him.
I also feel slow in my thinking and struggle with typed words.I also lost some math skills in the past month!..its all very strange.
I wish I could just lie down and let the time pass, but I have an exam to prepare for and I really can afford to fail.
I really want some advice about us being able to lead normal full lives...is this possible?I know everyone has problems , but I had no plan to feel physically so not with it at my age.Im still angry and sad this has happened to me.
Sorry to overload people with my first chat!
best

Kitty 05-28-2011 08:33 AM

Hi Fuzzyhead and welcome to NeuroTalk!

We all have different and varying symptoms with MS. I do understand the cognitive challenges you're having, though. I think that's one of the most difficult "invisible" symptoms we deal with. It's confusing to not only us but those around us, too.

I will tell you that the more stressed out and anxious I got over it the worse it seemed. But, I didn't know how not to! Fortunately, I've learned to take these peaks and valleys in symptoms in stride and not get too emotionally disrupted about it.

Good luck on your test. Hopefully your nerves will allow you to take the test without too much anxiety.

There are lots of folks here with MS so please continue to come here and read and post. It helps to know you're not alone. :)

SallyC 05-28-2011 01:23 PM

Welcome, Fuzzyhead. I'm sorry as to what brings you here, but am so glad you found us.:hug:

You could possible be in the middle of a flare and that's what brought on your cog fog. Make your Doc listen to your concerns and treat your symptoms accordingly.

I too hope your test goes well....all the luck for you.:)

Lady 05-29-2011 10:53 PM

Hi to all the new members. Welcome to Neuro Talk. :)

There are newbie people here, long-time MS people and those in limbo as we call it, because they are waiting to find out what is wrong and why they have so many unexplained symptoms.

We all had that problem at one time, and it is not fun getting tested and poked. But that is the only way the doctor can make a true diagnosis. You don't want the wrong one and get medication for the wrong one. It takes time.

If you have been new to the disease it takes getting used to that too. Whether you are young or older, it is always a shock and it never seems fair, does it?

Well, we find ways to get around our memory and fatigue problems, some helpful hints some can share with you on many symptoms or medications available. We will be glad to try to answer your questions, if we can. Welcome to all and nice to meet you. :)

SallyC 05-30-2011 12:26 PM

OOPS, I missed Curt..how'd I do dat?:o

Welcome Home to NeuroTalk, Alaskan..:hug::hug:

Dejibo 05-30-2011 06:33 PM

welcome to the new ones! Glad to have you here. :hug:

turtle_78 06-02-2011 07:45 AM

It's been a while

So I thought I would reintroduce myself. I'm Sue I have been Dx since 2006. I am a mom of 3 great kids Robert 7, Hannah 6, and Amie 2.
I have missed comming here, I am happy I can now come back.:D

Kitty 06-02-2011 08:35 AM

Turtle! :hug: I'm so happy to see you here again! I cannot believe how much your kids have grown. I think Amie was just recently born the last time you were here. I remember all the pictures you shared. :)

I hope you're doing well and enjoying those beautiful children. I know you're incredibly busy but I do hope you'll be able to check in here from time to time. It's so good to hear from you again! :hug:

turtle_78 06-02-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 775685)
Turtle! :hug: I'm so happy to see you here again! I cannot believe how much your kids have grown. I think Amie was just recently born the last time you were here. I remember all the pictures you shared. :)

I hope you're doing well and enjoying those beautiful children. I know you're incredibly busy but I do hope you'll be able to check in here from time to time. It's so good to hear from you again! :hug:

Things are going great, We are finaly in our new home and the kids are loving the space that we now have. Since starting the Betaseron I have only had 3 minor flairs. I hate taking the shots but, it is keeping me healthy and that is all that matters right now..

It is great to be back i missesd everyone!:hug:

SallyC 06-02-2011 12:32 PM

Turtle and all the wittle turtles...YEAAAA!!
Welcome back home.:):hug:

Glad to hear that the Beta is keeping the monster under control. You have been missed!!

SGT Bob 06-03-2011 11:07 PM

Hello everyone.

I am a Sergeant in the Army and I am stationed at Ft. Bliss, TX. I have been told that I may have MS and I am currently going through testing to see if I have it or not.

Because I don't really trust the Military Doctors here, I have come to these forums to get some other opinions from those that have already gone through what I am now and can speak from experience.

I will post a new thread with my questions and concerns.

Kitty 06-04-2011 12:19 AM

Hi Sgt. Bob and welcome to NeuroTalk! :welcome_sign: Glad to see you here - though sorry for the reason. The diagnosis process can be long so just try to be patient. I know, it's hard when you just want some answers. It's a process of elimination because so many other conditions mimic MS.

You'll find lots of useful information here and many people to compare notes with. There are others here that are in the diagnosis process now, too, so you're not alone. :hug:

SallyC 06-04-2011 10:46 AM

Welcome Sarge..:hug::)

Dejibo 06-04-2011 10:55 AM

welcome Sarge! :hug:

Lady 06-05-2011 09:29 PM

Hi SGT Bob,
Welcome to Neuro Talk. We will try to help you with your questions. We may not have all the answers, but we have all been through the testing process. Some get a DX right away, others it takes years. They have to make sure before they call it.

What tests have you had so far? What symptoms do you have? You can post below in the main forum when you are ready. Nice to meet you. :)

Lady 06-05-2011 09:31 PM

Hi Sue,
Welcome back. :) Your children are adorable. I'm happy you have the house you wanted and the kids love it too. Nice to have you back.

Jacquelyn 06-06-2011 10:59 AM

primary lateral sclerosis and dysarthria

Hi,
I have been fighting this neurological problem for 10 years now. I first noticed while working out with my husband that I would stumble. Little did I realize that I was about to go down a road that I never thought would happen to me. I have progressed from walking with a cane to a wheelchair when going out and a rollator in my home. I have fallen more times than I can count. One time ending up with a subdural hematoma, talk about fun, it was not. But to make matters even more of a challenge, I caught a very bad cold or virus about 3 years ago and over time have lost the ability to speak clearly. This condition is called dysarthria. I tell my husband it must be nice having a wife who can not speak. Through every thing a sense of humor is important. I try to get a good laugh every day. I also continue to work out. My husband had ballet bars installed in the basement and I use them to do squats, lunges, pushups, etc. I ride my stationary bike and lift weights. I am in charge of my body it is not in charge of me. Easier said then done I know.
So I say to everyone speak to your body tell it good things and be thankful for the things you can do.

Kitty 06-06-2011 11:49 AM

Hi Jacquelyn and welcome to NeuroTalk! :welcome_sign:

I live in Gwinnett County so we're neighbors! Glad to see someone local here!

I'm really sorry for all the struggles you've been through. It sounds like you have an amazing hubby and a great attitude.

There are lots of very supportive and knowledgeable folks here so please make yourself right at home and join in anywhere you'd like. :)

Lady 06-08-2011 11:50 PM

Hi Jacquelyn and Welcome. It sounds like you have been on a rollercoaster ride for 10 years. Many ups and downs. Yet, you still work-out and have a great outlook on your life. :) I'm glad you have a good supportive husband, who understands and helps you.

You can't speak at all now?.. or is it low like a whisper, or slower and harder to get the words out? Do you use sign language? Sorry to ask these questions, but I was curious how a virus did that to your vocal chords.

I wish you well and hope you join us. We love new people.
Nice to meet you. :)

SallyC 06-09-2011 01:39 PM

Welcome to NeuroTalk, Jacquelyn.:) I'm so glad you found us. It is comforting to talk to peeps having some of the same stinky symptoms..huh?

Come on in and join us anywhere. We are all here for each other.:grouphug:

mackers758 06-14-2011 03:52 AM

Hi there from the UK

Hi,
I'm Steve and I live in the UK with my Partner and daughter. I feel slightly unsure as to whether I should be posting in the part of the forum, as I have yet to actually have a diagnosis. I understand that there are 100's of other DX that my symptoms may be from , but I just feel like I am showing the signs of MS. In 1994 I had was whilst serving in the army, I was diagnosed by MOD doctors as DDD and lumbar spondylosis. Over the years I've had epidurals and for the last 10 years i have had facet injections in L5 S1 every three months (just to take the edge off) I'm currently on lidnocaine plaster for the surface pain in my legs. Anyhow back to the proper stuff. A few years ago I started having more and more burning pain, blurred double vision, shaking and tremors over my whole body but worse from my ribs down, weakness of limbs and in the end was sent to A&E with supsected caudia equina. After numerous tests, MRI/CT EMG and nerve conduction tests nothing was found.
Since then I have had the constant burning pain, tremors, shaking, imbalance, twitching, the tightness of ribs and abdomen, short term memory has gone, no co-ordination, some feacal incontinence. However the last couple few months things have gotten worse, all the symptoms appear to be with me with full vengance and here to stay.
I still manage to work (in IT) but it is certainly having an impact.
The reason I've not had a diagnosis yet is possibly due to me moving to another part of the UK and now I have to start the whole painful process all over, to top it off my first appointment to see a neurosurgeon was cancelled at the last minute. At least I have started seeing a GP that is getting things moving. I had a series of blood tests and had a scan on my liver a couple of weeks ago. The GP has even toyed with the idea these symptoms could be related to my active service in the first Gulf War. I had googled this link and found that there's quite a bit of an increased link between the two.
Sorry for the long winded description, I'm just looking at all possiblities and was asking for your thoughts as to what I may have.
Many thanks

Steve

Kitty 06-14-2011 05:08 AM

Hi Steve and welcome to NeuroTalk. We have many members here who are in the "limbo" stage of things. It's hard not knowing what's causing such havoc within our bodies.

What have you been tested for? What's been ruled out? It's a frustrating process even with the best of doctors but having to start and stop like you've described would be difficult.

Can you seek another opinion on your own? Possibly go to a doctor that is not affiliated with the military? You'd probably have to pay for it out of your own pocket but sometimes getting a fresh perspective is helpful.

In any event, I'm glad you found this site and I think you'll find lots of helpful, supportive folks here that can relate to your situation.

mackers758 06-14-2011 05:32 AM

Hi Kitty, Thanks for the welcome. Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm no longer in the military and once you've left the army here, you're placed into our NHS along with everyone else. in 2009 I had the nerve conduction along with MRI, CT scan and blood test when I had this suspected EQ episode. There were some abnormalities with the conduction test and one of the blood results (cant remember which one)at that time.
Since then I have moved and it's a case of starting all over once more. The GP i'm seeing has done quite a few blood tests and said there was no vitamin difficiency, but my liver results were high. I've since then been sent for an ultrasound but have not had the results. As I'm typing this my right arm is cramping /tightening, abdomen is really being squeezed. Burning all over the cheek and eye on the right side of my face. I keep getting this "spider crawling over my head" sensation. My right thigh is visible twitching and my hands are shaking. My vision is blurred/ double. If I close my right eye, the vision in my left eye seems to be flicking from left to right really fast.
I've also got this tingling sensation in my private parts.
All this just while I'm sat here typing this.
Once again thanks for the welcome

Kitty 06-14-2011 07:36 AM

Steve, if you're not already doing this you might want to start a symptom journal. I found this very helpful when trying to recall when a certain symptom started or what it felt like.

Each day I'd jot down the date and whatever symptom I was having. After a while you can check to see if there are patterns or if something reoccurs frequently. I learned not to rely on my memory because that just didn't work! :rolleyes:

It's also helpful when you see the doctor. They can look at your journal and get a better idea of the symptoms your presenting.

Many of the symptoms you're describing do sound alot like MS - especially the squeezing around the midsection. We call that the "hug". I've also had the creepy-crawlies that feel like a bug or something on your skin. :eek: Very unnerving! There are several threads on the MS forum about tremors and other symptom of MS. Unfortunately, many other conditions mimic MS so it's important that your doctor rule out things before diagnosing. This is what takes so long. Have you seen an neurologist that specializes in MS?

mackers758 06-14-2011 08:50 AM

Kitty, thanks for the advice about logging the symptoms. I already log the bad ones (normally 7 and above) on a free app for my iphone. I must say that logging the symptoms as they come and go was a real eye opener. I couldn't believe how much I was going through, until logging it made me think about it more. I'd normally just suffer then forget about it as the next symptom came and went. I should have actually seen a neurosurgeon yesterday however I received a phonecall late friday evening cancelling it.
Hopefully I wont have to wait too long for a new appointment.
Steve

Kitty 06-14-2011 10:51 AM

Steve, if I might suggest this......you could start your own thread in the MS forum and explain what you've told us here. You might get lots more responses from others going through the same thing you are. The others might have better suggestions than I do as to what you could do and what they have done in this same situation.

Keep coming here. It really does help to know there are others experiencing the same thing.