NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   What do you do to distract yourself from pain? (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/200668-distract-yourself-pain.html)

Diandra 02-05-2014 01:49 PM

What do you do to distract yourself from pain?

Just want to share some ideas for how we all distract ourselves from pain. I know a lot of them may be obvious but we did this on the forum quite awhile ago and I learned alot.

...I have become addicted to Netflix and Hulu on my ipad. No matter what position I have to lie down in to be comfortable, I can position the Ipad anywhere. I watch comedies, reruns of old shows. Just recently learned how to put Showtime on my Ipad and watched Nurse Jackie. On Netflix watched the hilarious series "Lilyhammer."

....I go to google images or Pinterest and put in a word to bring up lovely images...just a word like lovely or beautiful or cute kitten or golden retriever or whatever you love....it soothes me to see such amazing photographs...there are SO many talented people who willingly share their gorgeous photos.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas....
Have a good day friends,
Diandra

St George 2013 02-05-2014 02:08 PM

Hello Diandra :)

I'm so glad you're getting to go on your trip ! I know you'll have a great time and come home with beautiful pics that I hope you share with us :)

My distractions at the moment are watching the 3 news channels ! I just switch from one to the other and keep up with what's going on in the world.

Of course being on this site is another distraction for me.

Thanks for starting this thread....I can't wait to read some of the posts !

Debi from Georgia

Rrae 02-05-2014 02:46 PM

Good thread!

Indeed, comedy! Since I battle depression, this is a must for me. I have plenty of funny stuff on my DVR to use as ammunition. Also like 'who-dunnit shows'.

But when I get into major flare mode where I literally have to do Lamaze breathing, I need something to focus hard onto. I lay on a heating pad and play spider solitaire like there's no tomorrow. :)

Rae

Diandra 02-05-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St George 2013 (Post 1049099)
I'm so glad you're getting to go on your trip ! I know you'll have a great time and come home with beautiful pics that I hope you share with us :)

My distractions at the moment are watching the 3 news channels ! I just switch from one to the other and keep up with what's going on in the world.

Of course being on this site is another distraction for me.

Thanks for starting this thread....I can't wait to read some of the posts !

Debi from Georgia

Hi Debi....the news certainly is a distraction and I sometimes get into just watching the weather channel!

There is also this TV channel, we have ATTuverse and I think it is just called Showcase or something like that but it is just scenery and music....it looks like a small plane just slowly flies over the coast of various countries to video how beautiful it is. One time they did just bridges and another time they did lighthouses....my Mom is 90 and has some dementia and anxiety and the Showcase channel really soothes her.

Thanks for the encouragement on the Italy trip...we have never done anything so foolhardy...we just booked it last week and I am just going to drug the hell out of myself to get on the plane and when we get home, we will deal with how to pay for it. I am 60 yrs old and something in me just snapped after my brother had a near fatal hear attack recently and I said to my husband, you know what, I may never feel better, let's just do it....he is a doll, believe me...just to put up with me and my issues. Cheers, Diandra

Diandra 02-05-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrae (Post 1049107)
Indeed, comedy! Since I battle depression, this is a must for me. I have plenty of funny stuff on my DVR to use as ammunition. Also like 'who-dunnit shows'.

But when I get into major flare mode where I literally have to do Lamaze breathing, I need something to focus hard onto. I lay on a heating pad and play spider solitaire like there's no tomorrow. :)

Rae

Hi Rae,
Is spider solitaire an app from iTunes?
I have one I love called "Harbormaster".
Thanks, Diandra

St George 2013 02-05-2014 04:43 PM

Good for you Diandra !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diandra (Post 1049109)
Hi Debi....the news certainly is a distraction and I sometimes get into just watching the weather channel!

There is also this TV channel, we have ATTuverse and I think it is just called Showcase or something like that but it is just scenery and music....it looks like a small plane just slowly flies over the coast of various countries to video how beautiful it is. One time they did just bridges and another time they did lighthouses....my Mom is 90 and has some dementia and anxiety and the Showcase channel really soothes her.

Thanks for the encouragement on the Italy trip...we have never done anything so foolhardy...we just booked it last week and I am just going to drug the hell out of myself to get on the plane and when we get home, we will deal with how to pay for it. I am 60 yrs old and something in me just snapped after my brother had a near fatal hear attack recently and I said to my husband, you know what, I may never feel better, let's just do it....he is a doll, believe me...just to put up with me and my issues. Cheers, Diandra

My husband and I went to Florida with my daughter and son in law after Christmas for a week and I said the very same thing......drug the hell out of myself to get there.....lol....love it !

Life is so darn short...wish I had known that at 20........I'm 51 now and I've told my kids......just tell me when you want to go somewhere and I'll go....I may have to look at the scenery out the window but I'm game !

Debi from Georgia :hug:

uglogirl 02-05-2014 07:38 PM

Keeping busy

Quote:

Originally Posted by St George 2013 (Post 1049129)
My husband and I went to Florida with my daughter and son in law after Christmas for a week and I said the very same thing......drug the hell out of myself to get there.....lol....love it !

Life is so darn short...wish I had known that at 20........I'm 51 now and I've told my kids......just tell me when you want to go somewhere and I'll go....I may have to look at the scenery out the window but I'm game !

Debi from Georgia :hug:

What I do to keep busy is work. When I am not working I am enjoying my kitty Angel. I also crochet and watch TV and read . . . Just love James Patterson books.
:grouphug:

Rrae 02-05-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diandra (Post 1049111)
Hi Rae,
Thanks, Diandra

That's a good question - I'm not up with the times.
I still have a 'dumb' phone. I'll get a smart phone one of these days :rolleyes:
I'm too embarrassed to admit that I don't know what iTunes is.......

Actually I lay on my heating pad with my good ol' laptop.
spider solitaire is pre-installed with regular solitaire and most of the other general games.
I'll have to check into 'Harbormaster'

PamelaJune 02-05-2014 08:48 PM

Spider solitaire

I'm with you Rrae, I play spider solitaire over and over. I watch what we call foxtel, in the UK I they call it Sky, I can't remember what it was called when I lived in the US. I think it was it's called Cable?
I watch the TV in the main room while on the couch, freeze the TV screen and play solitaire and then go back to the TV. If I'm super bad, and only when I'm super bad, I will go back to bed and play solitaire. I try really hard to not take to my bed during the day as I think if I start doing that, I will never get up and get out. I can watch foxtel on my IPad as well and use I then I'm in hospital.
Lately, I've become a stalker on the NT site, I read others troubles and feel like I'm not alone in this cruel twist of life. Maybe I should become a Havenite, so wish my trouble could be something Audrey Parker could take away.

PamelaJune 02-05-2014 08:54 PM

Spider solitaire

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diandra (Post 1049111)
Hi Rae,
Thanks, Diandra

Hi Donna, you can get spider solitaire on your iPhone and IPad. Search mobility ware and download from there, or just search spider solitaire and the apps will come up to choose from. I choose all the free ones, means I get adverts but I just skip past them. Spend far to much money on medication to have the dollars left to buy apps, every penny counts now that I've had to give up work.:hug: