NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   also... (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/191231-also.html)

anon1028 07-10-2013 02:26 PM

also...

what could cause constant chronic muscle spasms and tugging in the head face and neck. just wondering. doctor gave me lyrica for this but it is not helping really.

MiaVita2012 07-10-2013 03:45 PM

I Can Relate

I had this horrible bad!My PCP had tried almost every muscle relaxer and they did not help. Once I got to a psychiatrist I had to start valium for the muscle spasms. It can be a variety of things such as neck trauma, stress, anxiety, and panic.

I know it is a benzo which has it's negatives like any medication.It has helped me GREATLY!!!I have not had to experience that horrible pain anymore.
Wish you the best. Mia

Jomar 07-11-2013 12:19 AM

Have you had any phys therapy?
That can help resolve some of the pain & spasms with the use of ultrasound, massage, heat/ice, low level laser and/or IF stimulation.

My chiropractor also did NIMMO which is kind of a mix of deep tissue/myofascial release and trigger point work. I had severe spasms due to RSI/TOS and he used all that I mentioned above, it was the best help for me.

anon1028 07-11-2013 01:23 AM

thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I will look into the things you have suggested and see if I can get me some relief.

Mark in Idaho 07-11-2013 02:01 PM

Stress can cause this symptoms as well as a lack of minerals in your diet, Magnesium, calcium, etc help the muscles work properly.

anon1028 07-11-2013 03:16 PM

thank Mark. ?I don't know if I get enough calcium anymore. not like I did when I was a kid. might be time to start taking some and to get my stress under control. it is bad.

TBI/PTSD 07-14-2013 03:37 AM

Anxiety and stress

My docs say it is anxiety and stress. I have been to physical tx for it and it lasts until I get anxious or tense again. I take Magnesium. I also get massages when I can. My Masseuse suggests once a week---only if money grew on trees. My doc is going to write me an rx for massage. I had acupuncture which was great but my TBI doc stopped. I have always been an avid exerciser so I make sure I get some form of exercise in each day. I started practicing yoga--helps immensely.

Finally after two years of coming around here, I am learning to slow down. I can only do so much (mentally) per day. It varies on different days, I just never know how much it will be. I need to have the presence of mind to recognize when that time comes and stop doing things. That has been the biggest help. I hope you find a solution.

rob_d87 07-17-2013 10:11 PM

I'd say this is a very recurrent symptom of anxiety, at least for me. Try stretching and neck exercises, they are extremely relaxing.

mrsmith 07-18-2013 05:14 PM

For me it was caused by anxiety. I would be sitting and my neck would start spazzing out and my head would shake a bit, and the more I thought about what was happening the more it happened. I've found that meditation has worked well for me, even though it is very difficult because I find it extremely hard to sit still and relax.

anon1028 07-18-2013 07:11 PM

me too!! just trying to take eachday at a time