NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Things keep slipping through my fingers (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/204602-slipping-fingers.html)

picobill 05-17-2014 08:12 PM

Things keep slipping through my fingers

Hi, Anyone else got problems with holding things? My CRPS is full body but my right side is not as bad as my left which is good or I'd be a real basket case *L* Anyway I find that if I'm holding something and not concentrating on it my fingers/hand will suddenly just let go.. I've lost a good coffee cup or two that way.. and gotten covered in the coffee or pop or whatever just fell out of my hand... Thing is it isn't a numbness hands still hurting.. it's like the pain is covering the normal feelings so much my hand forgets it's holding something...
Just wondering if this going on with anyone else...

Lottie 05-17-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picobill (Post 1070073)
Hi, Anyone else got problems with holding things? My CRPS is full body but my right side is not as bad as my left which is good or I'd be a real basket case *L* Anyway I find that if I'm holding something and not concentrating on it my fingers/hand will suddenly just let go.. I've lost a good coffee cup or two that way.. and gotten covered in the coffee or pop or whatever just fell out of my hand... Thing is it isn't a numbness hands still hurting.. it's like the pain is covering the normal feelings so much my hand forgets it's holding something...
Just wondering if this going on with anyone else...

I had what I called "the dropsies" years ago when taking neurontin. It went away when I stopped the med. Any changes in your medications around the time this started? Just a thought. Be well ~ Lottie

anon6715 05-18-2014 04:06 AM

Yep. Wow. I know exactly what you mean. I used to drop things fairly frequently for no apparent reason. My hand certainly wasn't numb and it wasn't caused by a spasm or a sudden stabbing pain. It was just as if my hand forgot it was holding something. It hasn't happened in quite a while though. Of course, that may be because I have gotten into the habit of concentrating on the grip of my right hand.

Some background information about my CRPS might be helpful. I developed CRPS following surgery to repair torn cartilage in December 2012. It started in my hand and wrist, spread to my shoulder and now covers my whole right arm. I also get CRPS symptoms on the right side of my neck and on my right ear.

Lottie has a good point too. It could be a side effect of medication.

Speaking of coffee...I think it is time for a cup. :)

Take care.

KimA

birchlake 05-18-2014 05:20 AM

Picobill,

Yup, I am having that happen to me on occasion too. I was wondering if it is a side effect of the 1800 mg of neurontin that I take. Hard to know for sure, but it apparently is happening to a few of us...

fbodgrl 05-18-2014 08:11 AM

Yep...I've been dropping stuff for years. I've broken more dishes and things than I can count!

I used to also have stuff get stuck in my hand. That doesn't happen quite as often anymore.

anon6715 05-18-2014 11:07 AM

I know what you mean about things getting stuck in your hand and I'm so glad you mentioned it. I notice it mostly when I am trying to hand something to someone using my right hand. It seems to take extra time for me to be able to let go. My husband has learned to take whatever I'm handing him in his hand and then wait for my hand to release before he pulls the object away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodgrl (Post 1070126)
Yep...I've been dropping stuff for years. I've broken more dishes and things than I can count!

I used to also have stuff get stuck in my hand. That doesn't happen quite as often anymore.

cdwall 05-18-2014 03:57 PM

I'm very clumsy on occasion and it's not the meds. I don't have RSD in my hands (yet) I don't think. I'm also very unsteady and fall a lot so balance may contribute in some instances. But I drop things all the time like pills and that's not a balance problem. My hands just won't grasp and hold right. Worse some times than others. I'll start doing something and I know I don't feel very coordinated but kind of plow through anyway. Sometimes it doesn't work out well. I just broke a still in warranty macbook pro by dropping it. That one hurt.

Adalaide 05-18-2014 04:29 PM

I have had a problem with gripping and holding things in my left hand since the accident that set of the CRPS in that hand and arm. I am fine with things like typing, my WPM isn't any less than it used to be although I do get pain with some specific motions while I type. I also don't have problems holding light things like silverware or my phone, or doing things like texting. Where I do have problems is anything that requires the least bit of strength. Holding a can opener closed while I turn it with my right hand. Holding a jar so I can twist the lid off. Holding a cup that's full, or if I'm using a glass instead of plastic I even have trouble grasping and holding a glass with my left hand. It is extremely frustrating since I know I so far still have complete range of motion, just a lack of strength and a seeming lack of control at times.

Phaedra 05-18-2014 10:49 PM

Hmmm Guess I'm not the only one that cant hold anything in my hands. I have this junk in my legs, even though feel it all over my body. I thought it was just me being a clumsy soul. Who knew.?!

fbodgrl 05-19-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimA (Post 1070145)
I know what you mean about things getting stuck in your hand and I'm so glad you mentioned it. I notice it mostly when I am trying to hand something to someone using my right hand. It seems to take extra time for me to be able to let go. My husband has learned to take whatever I'm handing him in his hand and then wait for my hand to release before he pulls the object away.

Yeah I had a bad accident trying to weed whip my yard last year. I get impatient waiting for my family to help some times. So I rigged up my weed whipper to hang on my neck ( since it is to much to hold). It was going fine until I was readjusting it and accidentally got my bad hand on the button. The thing hacked up my leg pretty good until I could get my hand to let go! My mom banned me from using it after that.